• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long will LU stock be left for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2555

Hi, I was just wondering, does anyone know roughly how much longer C69 +C77 and D stock will be left running on the London Underground? And also the 1972/1973 stock? Thanks very much :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Less than a year for C stock, few more years for D stock as the S Stock is on its way :)

TheJRB

Established Member
Hi, I was just wondering, does anyone know roughly how much longer C69 +C77 and D stock will be left running on the London Underground? And also the 1972/1973 stock? Thanks very much :)

The C stock will begin to be replaced this year and along with the D stock (replacement for the D stock will begin next year at the earliest) will all be replaced by S Stock by 2015.

The replacement stock for the 1972/73 stock will not be ordered until after 2020 at the earliest at the moment so they're going to be around for a while yet.

David10

C Stock withdrawls will commence later this year, followed by D stock. Last D stock should be around until 2015. I think the 1972 stock is scheduled to be replaced in 2019, followed by the 1973 stock.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I loathe C stock, so I am glad to see it go but D stock has just been refurbished, it seems like a shame to me. Adam :D

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think many people will be sad to see the back of the C Stock, and the S Stock are absolutely the ideal replacement and will deal easily with the loadings on the Circle. They're not the ideal trains for the outer reaches of the Metropolitan and District, but they have had to be designed with the loadings in Zone 1/2 in mind.

I must admit I'm a huge fan of the A Stock - but can't wear the rose tinted specs. It's past its best and replacement has come at the right time. The C Stock has been due for replacement since it was delivered ;)

MCR247

Established Member
Not going to miss the C stock, I've got a soft spot for the D stock though

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If anything, the outer reaches of the District could do with S7s with the S8 seating. The s7 as it is will be superb for the Circle, H&C and "Wimbleware"

Manchester77

Established Member
does anyone know if the district lines fleet of s stock trains will have green grab rails or will they be all yellow?

Dstock7080

Established Member
does anyone know if the district lines fleet of s stock trains will have green grab rails or will they be all yellow?
As has been said by trivran they will be yellow, as there will be no distinct District/H&C/Circle S7s, they will be completely mixed across the 3 Lines being able to operate one Line service each day (or even change during the day!)

Established Member
As has been said by trivran they will be yellow, as there will be no distinct District/H&C/Circle S7s, they will be completely mixed across the 3 Lines being able to operate one Line service each day (or even change during the day!)

In much the same way that the current C Stock all have yellow grab poles, not a batch with green, a batch with pink and a batch with yellow.

I get the impression that the 1972 Stock will be the last to go, as the Bakerloo is a low-priority line compared to the Piccadilly. Knowing the Bakerloo's history, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if new trains were ordered for the Central line and the withdrawn 1992 Stock then transferred to the Bakerloo. At least I'd prefer that to happen rather than get brand new stock.

I'm probably the only person who is a big fan of the C Stock, they sound great and have a certain charm to them, although I will admit they are in need of replacement. Judging by the heavily delayed introduction of the S8 Stock to the Metropolitan line, and the fact that the S7s only have three doors per side rather than four, I can't see them shifting the rush-hour Circle line crowds as well as the C Stock do.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
I'm probably the only person who is a big fan of the C Stock, they sound great and have a certain charm to them, although I will admit they are in need of replacement. Judging by the heavily delayed introduction of the S8 Stock to the Metropolitan line, and the fact that the S7s only have three doors per side rather than four, I can't see them shifting the rush-hour Circle line crowds as well as the C Stock do.
C6 Stock have 198 seats, standing capacity for 821 = 1019
S7 Stock have 256 seats, standing capacity for 1112 = 1368

C6 Stock have 24 doors @1372mm = 28812mm (door opening)
S7 Stock have 19 doors @1600mm + 2 doors @1200mm = 32800mm (door opening)

Established Member
C6 Stock have 198 seats, standing capacity for 821 = 1019
S7 Stock have 256 seats, standing capacity for 1112 = 1368

C6 Stock have 24 doors @1372mm = 28812mm (door opening)
S7 Stock have 19 doors @1600mm + 2 doors @1200mm = 32800mm (door opening)

Good point - although I still can't see them being as reliable as the C Stock are. And C Stock reliability isn't great so that's saying something :lol:

announcements

The C stock will begin to be replaced this year and along with the D stock (replacement for the D stock will begin next year at the earliest) will all be replaced by S Stock by 2015.

I think 'at the earliest' is key here, if not 2014. Because although TfL say that the District line will receive new trains from 2013, I reckon this applies more to the 'Wimbleware' section.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I think 'at the earliest' is key here, if not 2014. Because although TfL say that the District line will receive new trains from 2013, I reckon this applies more to the 'Wimbleware' section.
There are already 4 S7s in London. If the current rate of deliveries is maintained (about 3 every 2weeks), 16 required for H&C service, 16 required for Circle, 8 required for Wimbledon-Edgware Rd, it will certainly be in 2013.

I won't be upset to see the C stock go. I have to say they are in need of replacement and the S7 stock will be perfect to replace them. I'll miss the D stock but I remember reading in a few rail mags that they could work around a Leeds line..

Manchester77

Established Member
What would be nessarcary to have the D stock on that line? Would it be a matter of changing livery or would it be a full refurb?
Also what traction would be used? Third rail like in the southern region or like n the dlr (which is what I heard)

I heard it would be 3rd rail. I would say the units would need a more mainline interior to please passengers as the current interior, although pleasant enough for LUL, has unsuitable seats.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Does anyone seriously believe the proposal to use them on the Harrogate line?

The D Stock have been good performers for LU, it's just a shame about the single leaf doors. Seemed a great idea when passenger traffic was falling, but as soon as it rose the shortcomings were obvious. They'll be withdrawn at a relatively youthful 30 years - but even if they were to go elsewhere, realistically, you'd only get another 10-15 years service from them before they started to become life expired (maybe even less).

D365

Veteran Member
"Harrogate Metro" scheme website - What passenger sevices use the line right now, aside from the all-stoppers? 15 years isn't too bad, I'd say, before dedicated metro stock can be ordered.

Track access costs will be significantly cheaper due to the type's lighter weight, although inital cost for refurbishing the D Stock units will presumably be higher [than using 315s/317s with OHLE]. I assume a class number of 509.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One train per day each way by East Coast to London and I think that's it apart from the Northern services. Also this has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum (it's quite old now) and most were of the opinion that it was to be blunt, a silly suggestion.

D365

Veteran Member
The scheme makes some sense imo, but I guess that's not the general opinion.

Established Member
The thing with the D Stock is that, whilst they were given brand spanking new interiors and a paint job whilst being refurbished, under the floor is the same traction equipment etc. that they had pre-refurbishment. Whilst cosmetically they're new, mechanically they aren't. Although it would be nice to see them survive for longer in any case.

TheJRB

Established Member
The thing with the D Stock is that, whilst they were given brand spanking new interiors and a paint job whilst being refurbished, under the floor is the same traction equipment etc. that they had pre-refurbishment. Whilst cosmetically they're new, mechanically they aren't. Although it would be nice to see them survive for longer in any case.

I'm happy to be corrected, but isn't the D Stock one of the most (if not the most) reliable stock on LU (along with the 1973TS)? So while the traction isn't getting any younger, it's certainly still reliable at the moment.

Established Member
I'm happy to be corrected, but isn't the D Stock one of the most (if not the most) reliable stock on LU (along with the 1973TS)? So while the traction isn't getting any younger, it's certainly still reliable at the moment.

That is a good point, as far as I know it's perfectly reliable. I'd imagine that gradually parts are becoming harder to obtain though compared to new stock. Don't get me wrong though, I am a fan of D Stock!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That is a good point, as far as I know it's perfectly reliable. I'd imagine that gradually parts are becoming harder to obtain though compared to new stock. Don't get me wrong though, I am a fan of D Stock!

According to the 2011 figures (published in Underground News), the mean kilometres between failures for the D Stock was 23,911 (compared to 19,000 in 2007). The only stock higher was the 1973 Stock with 37,032 (up from 15,000 in 2007). For interest the C Stock is the least reliable with only 8,342km between failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.