How many applications and interviews until you cracked it?

Cjay144

Applied to 2 TOC’s at start of 2013. Passed all necessary tests, interviews etc and was offered both Trainee Driver roles.

Was my 1st time applying for anything on the railway and haven’t looked back.

Good luck to all still looking

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulBusDriver

I applied to about ten tocs and network rail.
After 2 years I got a job, really enjoying training at the moment.
Some applications got lost, some were rejected in unusual circumstances, for example I applied for GWR and did their SJT, passed and got in a Talent Pool. Applied to SWR, same SJT questions as GWR and I gave the same answers but failed on that!
You'll have to endure waiting, not getting any replies to requests for information and generally just being neglected but if you keep trying to as many TOCS as you can you will get there eventually.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Guard - first try.

Driver - second try (psychometrics passed on first try).

Applied to 2 TOC’s at start of 2013. Passed all necessary tests, interviews etc and was offered both Trainee Driver roles.

Was my 1st time applying for anything on the railway and haven’t looked back.

Good luck to all still looking
You just made half this forum extremely jealous!

Initially offered a signaller post at a single-manned signal box but rejected at the medical as I am a type 1 diabetic and, at the time, diabetics were not allowed to carry out safety critical competencies in a lone working environment. Eventually applied to a multi-manned signalling centre and was accepted, therefore:

Several applications
2 interviews (Both passed)
3 medicals (1 failed, 2 passed (Including a follow up medical to discuss my diabetes))
1 withdrawn offer

Last edited:

duffyCPT

I applied for 6 in 2019 (Train Dispatcher, CSA and RSM/FCH)

Got to 3 interviews
Had 1 offer (Talent Bank AWC - Nothing came of it, pandemic didn't help)

In the past 3 months I've applied for 3 roles (one was taken down - AWC Birmingham Intl part time CSA)

•Apprentice Train Driver - XC - Failed miserably
•Platform Host @ Leamington Spa FTC - CR - Applied 11/03/21 - no news, candidate portal still says "in process"
•Train Dispatcher @ Birmingham Snow Hill - Applied 16/04/21 - WMT - No News, but I have an itching feeling I havent got it :/

I'm still waiting to finally crack it, im not going to stop until I do.

Last edited:

Bonzo

Only 1 thankfully.
Started the process Oct 2019. Offered a position Dec 2020. Still waiting for medical and start date. I in no way think that I've cracked it though!

centro-323

I made plenty of applications for customer service stuff, but I knew from my answers to the competency questions that I didn't really have enough relevant experience. Switched careers to something in transport, got the experience, and started applying again.

Unsuccessful after online tests on first driver app, awful phone interview on second app, learned from my mistakes and got offered a job on third attempt. All three of those happened within 9 months, and I started training only about 6 weeks after I accepted the offer so I feel very lucky, especially given the waits some people have in talent pools etc.

Flosursus

I applied as a guard twice a year for 5 years until I was offered a job. I really wanted to be a guard. I was a guard for 3 years.
Then last year, after applying to many roles and not hearing anything, I suddenly had 15 interviews in the space of 3 weeks (for signaller, MOM, crossing keeper, delay attribution manager, incident controller, shunter and depot driver) and was offered the roles of shunter and driver. I took the driver role after passing all assessments. It's worth the grind.

ACSlater

I applied as a guard twice a year for 5 years until I was offered a job. I really wanted to be a guard. I was a guard for 3 years.
Then last year, after applying to many roles and not hearing anything, I suddenly had 15 interviews in the space of 3 weeks (for signaller, MOM, crossing keeper, delay attribution manager, incident controller, shunter and depot driver) and was offered the roles of shunter and driver. I took the driver role after passing all assessments. It's worth the grind.

interviews are like buses...

route101

Established Member
I made plenty of applications for customer service stuff, but I knew from my answers to the competency questions that I didn't really have enough relevant experience. Switched careers to something in transport, got the experience, and started applying again.

Unsuccessful after online tests on first driver app, awful phone interview on second app, learned from my mistakes and got offered a job on third attempt. All three of those happened within 9 months, and I started training only about 6 weeks after I accepted the offer so I feel very lucky, especially given the waits some people have in talent pools etc.
What were you doing in transport out of interest?

king_walnut

Failed at my first attempt to join the railway as a gateline supervisor.

Succeeded at my second attempt and landed a 1 year contract as a part time Revenue Officer.

Was then successful in becoming a full time revenue officer.

I was then migrated to the On Board Supervisor role.

Failed at the application stage on my first attempt at driver. Landed the second attempt. I'm now a driver.