• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many applications and interviews until you cracked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjay144

Applied to 2 TOC’s at start of 2013. Passed all necessary tests, interviews etc and was offered both Trainee Driver roles.

Was my 1st time applying for anything on the railway and haven’t looked back.

Good luck to all still looking

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulBusDriver

I applied to about ten tocs and network rail.
After 2 years I got a job, really enjoying training at the moment.
Some applications got lost, some were rejected in unusual circumstances, for example I applied for GWR and did their SJT, passed and got in a Talent Pool. Applied to SWR, same SJT questions as GWR and I gave the same answers but failed on that!
You'll have to endure waiting, not getting any replies to requests for information and generally just being neglected but if you keep trying to as many TOCS as you can you will get there eventually.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Guard - first try.

Driver - second try (psychometrics passed on first try).

Applied to 2 TOC’s at start of 2013. Passed all necessary tests, interviews etc and was offered both Trainee Driver roles.

Was my 1st time applying for anything on the railway and haven’t looked back.

Good luck to all still looking
You just made half this forum extremely jealous!

Initially offered a signaller post at a single-manned signal box but rejected at the medical as I am a type 1 diabetic and, at the time, diabetics were not allowed to carry out safety critical competencies in a lone working environment. Eventually applied to a multi-manned signalling centre and was accepted, therefore:

Several applications
2 interviews (Both passed)
3 medicals (1 failed, 2 passed (Including a follow up medical to discuss my diabetes))
1 withdrawn offer

Last edited:

duffyCPT

I applied for 6 in 2019 (Train Dispatcher, CSA and RSM/FCH)

Got to 3 interviews
Had 1 offer (Talent Bank AWC - Nothing came of it, pandemic didn't help)

In the past 3 months I've applied for 3 roles (one was taken down - AWC Birmingham Intl part time CSA)

•Apprentice Train Driver - XC - Failed miserably
•Platform Host @ Leamington Spa FTC - CR - Applied 11/03/21 - no news, candidate portal still says "in process"
•Train Dispatcher @ Birmingham Snow Hill - Applied 16/04/21 - WMT - No News, but I have an itching feeling I havent got it :/

I'm still waiting to finally crack it, im not going to stop until I do.

Last edited:

Bonzo

Only 1 thankfully.
Started the process Oct 2019. Offered a position Dec 2020. Still waiting for medical and start date. I in no way think that I've cracked it though!

ArchangelA

Currently up to 6 (4 x train driver jobs and 2 x MOM jobs). Had two failed MOM interviews, one of which I heard this morning :(

Flosursus

I applied as a guard twice a year for 5 years until I was offered a job. I really wanted to be a guard. I was a guard for 3 years.
Then last year, after applying to many roles and not hearing anything, I suddenly had 15 interviews in the space of 3 weeks (for signaller, MOM, crossing keeper, delay attribution manager, incident controller, shunter and depot driver) and was offered the roles of shunter and driver. I took the driver role after passing all assessments. It's worth the grind.

ACSlater

I applied as a guard twice a year for 5 years until I was offered a job. I really wanted to be a guard. I was a guard for 3 years.
Then last year, after applying to many roles and not hearing anything, I suddenly had 15 interviews in the space of 3 weeks (for signaller, MOM, crossing keeper, delay attribution manager, incident controller, shunter and depot driver) and was offered the roles of shunter and driver. I took the driver role after passing all assessments. It's worth the grind.

interviews are like buses...

route101

Established Member
I made plenty of applications for customer service stuff, but I knew from my answers to the competency questions that I didn't really have enough relevant experience. Switched careers to something in transport, got the experience, and started applying again.

Unsuccessful after online tests on first driver app, awful phone interview on second app, learned from my mistakes and got offered a job on third attempt. All three of those happened within 9 months, and I started training only about 6 weeks after I accepted the offer so I feel very lucky, especially given the waits some people have in talent pools etc.
What were you doing in transport out of interest?

king_walnut

Failed at my first attempt to join the railway as a gateline supervisor.

Succeeded at my second attempt and landed a 1 year contract as a part time Revenue Officer.

Was then successful in becoming a full time revenue officer.

I was then migrated to the On Board Supervisor role.

Failed at the application stage on my first attempt at driver. Landed the second attempt. I'm now a driver.

Charlie9649

Well done guys really pleased for you, which TOC, what role and where if you don't mind me asking

Well done again
MTR Elizabeth line for myself. Don’t give up

So I applied for maybe 9 different trainee train/shunter driver jobs.

I got through to the assessment stage in 2019 and failed the bleep and phone book(TRP1).

1st chance gone! so then I left it for a bit I felt disheartened and thought that maybe this role was just not for me. Out of the blue, a friend of mine had An assessment and asked if I could help him, this ignited the love for this role in me again.

I then replied and got through, and with determination and a load of research and the private messages on this forum I'm now happy to say that I am waiting on my start date on the 19th of July.

The point of this is not to give up, because if you want it, and are willing to work hard for it, simply will be yours
Hi there are you starting with MTR if so have you received your contracts yet and when is your medical booked for

Last edited:

Jamie Price

Countless applications over 10 years across all grades, never passed the paper sift until the last one, then made it through all the stages in 1 to get in as a guard :) would advise anyone who is still trying not to give up as one day you'll make the right application at the right time and it'll all come together!

I joined the railway when I was just about to turn 18 as a Revenue Officer. I'm now 20 and still in the same role but I changed TOC and took me 19 applications, 3 Interviews and 1 Assessment day Don't give up. I have never looked back or thought about another job industry.;)

Last edited:

MiNi

I have currently application number 19 & 20 'live' at the moment. Both closed on Friday,just awaiting the email.

tfin25

Applied to Northern a few years ago but the vacancy was removed before the initial sift. Tried again with EMR a few months ago and I'm currently in the talent pool for trainee driver.

Munrowalker95

Applied for probably around a dozen and never progressed past the interview stage so far

Countless applications over 10 years across all grades, never passed the paper sift until the last one, then made it through all the stages in 1 to get in as a guard :) would advise anyone who is still trying not to give up as one day you'll make the right application at the right time and it'll all come together!
Just noticed this post mate. Shows that I still have a chance one day perhaps

Jamie Price

Applied for probably around a dozen and never progressed past the interview stage so far

Just noticed this post mate. Shows that I still have a chance one day perhaps
Definitely mate, do not give up, my first railway application was in 2009, finally started my railway career in October 2019, there is hope for everyone! Only takes one application at the right time mate.

Chris_1892

I joined the railway 5 year ago starting in a contact centre dealing with delay repay claims, passenger assistant bookings and customer complaints. After a year, I applied for a job as a GPR covering booking offices and dispatch duties in the North East. I have just recently passed my psychometrics and medical for the trainee drivers role starting in September. I've always said to myself from the start, if it really is something you want to do, keep on going and going for it. I've learnt so much in my other previous roles to take into driving.
Best of Luck.

Twotwo

My first job in the railway was a gateline position in 2016. Then moved onto platform in 2017. Then moved tocs and did gateline/platform in 2018. Then went on to do shunter driving in 2019 and now successful in a trainee train driver role!

Ceat0908

my first application was in 2018. Knocked back 3 times with the same TOC. Just been offered a job with them today. Keep at it folks, you’ll get there. As exhausting as it may be at times.

Callmo

Pure luck for me, 1st time applying for driver role and got the job. Started December 2019, came from a completely different background, non railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.