• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many charter carriages are there available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Roughly how many loco hauled carriages (mk1, mk2, mk3) are there in the hands of charter type leasing companies (that are registered for main line use)?

Great pity Cargo-D went under as I liked their blue and grey coaches. Would be good to see another hire company do a rake of mk1 and early mk2 carriages in that way.

That or I would like to see a long rake of intercity swallow liveried coaches hauled by a matching intercity 47 or 37.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
This webpage will be exceptionally useful to you in answering your question, providing as it does a list of all the carriages in use with charter operators:
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/coach.html
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There was a full rake of Intercity swallow liveried mark 2 air-cons in use with a charter operator only a couple of years ago. The webpage that I linked to suggests that it is still knocking around. It certainly is a shame to see the loss of the Cargo-D Br blue/grey mark 2s and 3s, they looked absolutely superb when paired up with 47580 or one of the AC Loco Groups’ 86 or 87s. Similarly, if the Intercity liveried mark 2 rake is still running around then it would be a stunning spectacle to see it paired up with the IC swallow mainline registered 86, 86213, on a run up the WCML.

fgwrich

Established Member
Well, to be fair - DB Regio took on most of the ex Cargo D Mk3s so you may see some of those on tours, and DRS took on at least 20 of the ex Cargo D Mk2s too, so you might start seeing those in use sooner or later too. :)

As for how many Mk1s, Mk2s, & Mk3s that are hireable, i can't tell you, but Riviera Trains does have a list of what coaches they have on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.