How many coaches normally allocated to 17:46 Euston to Crewe?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by 185143, 17 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 185143

185143 Established Member

I will be travelling on the 17:46 London Midland service from Euston to Crewe today. How many coaches should I expect (and what type of 350) and have I got any chance of a seat at Euston?

Thanks in advance:)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. sd0733

sd0733 Established Member

Its booked 2x 350/1s so an 8car set. Always pretty busy out of Euston but should get a seat especially near the front. Most people seem to get off at Milton Keynes anyway

4. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Member

From experience, rear unit is rammed, front unit is empty.

5. crehld

crehld Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

Usually 2x 350/1 (8 coaches). From experience the service is rammed throughout (front and rear units), although if you get to the station early enough you'll have no trouble getting a seat at the front. Even if you don't, you won't be standing beyond Milton Keynes.

6. The Snap

The Snap Established Member

Question is, why are you going all the way to Crewe on an LM service when VT does it in nearly half the time?

I know it may well be a price thing, but surely the difference in price isn't significant enough to make you use a service that takes nearly twice as long?

Last edited: 18 Aug 2015
  7. crehld

If you want to get to Crewe by 20:30 then the cheapest available (walk up) Virgin fare (London Terminals - Crewe Anytime Single, Any Permitted) costs you £126.50. The cheapest available LM fare (London Terminals - Crewe, Off-Peak Single, London Midland Only) costs £32.00. That's almost a £95 saving to go via LM which makes it worthwhile in my opinion. Besides, the journey is quite bearable providing you bring along a decent book and some provisions.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2015
  8. Aldaniti

Aldaniti Member

...and a bottle to pee in.

9. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

I did Crewe-Rugby on one of those services this week.
    The conductor invited people to use the buffet at Stafford during the 5-minute wait there, ("We leave at xxxx, doors close 30 seconds before departure"...).

Alighting at Rugby for the first time in years, I was surprised to find there were no staffed refreshment facilities of any kind - just vending machines.
    That's very unusual for a major station, when at most other big stations you can't move for coffee and snack outlets.
    Hardy folk these LM passengers.

10. Johnnie2Sheds

Johnnie2Sheds Member

If I manage to get out of work early, I would rather sit on a mid afternoon departure of a 350 out of Euston than the claustraphobic roller coaster ride on the fast line.

11. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

I would rather crawl on my hands and knees from Euston to Crewe than do it on one of those silver and red abominations

12. theshillito

theshillito Member

I am rarely in a rush to get home if I'm ever in London, so paying roughly £19 for a super off peak return (with railcard) works out well for a cheap trip to the South and I've got a bit more freedom compared to using advance fares for similar prices with Virgin.

13. Philip Elliott

Philip Elliott Member

There is a WH Smith in the building at the front though I certainly concede it ain't great!

14. Camden

Camden Established Member

According to this, 8, and possibly no!...

http://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/more/finding-a-seat/

15. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

To be honest, most stations have about 5 pasty outlets.

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

While I know the small windows and tight legroom aren't to everyone's taste, I think calling them "abominations" is perhaps a bit much? They aren't absolutely terrible, though I will admit a 350/1 provides a higher comfort level, so if not in a hurry I'd save my money.

17. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

They are to me!!
    Mostly probably irrationally but it's my opinion! :D
    But to be honest it's as much the company they operate for as the trains themselves.
    Anyway off topic now!

18. 185143

185143 Established Member

I was at MKC the other day when this service arrived when that service arrived. The auto announcer said something along the lines of 'we are sorry to inform you that this service is reported as being full and standing. First class accommodation is not available' The train didn't seem as busy as the announcer made out!

19. crehld

I've heard this several times I've been to Milton Keynes... It seems to just be played on some sort of loop. Perhaps it's a management of expectations thing.

20. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I wonder will we see some fare increases on the Trent Valley services, then? They can't, AIUI, go 12-car, which is the only other viable solution...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.