• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many new build Steam Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnuk123

Established Member
How many new build steam engines are currently at the construction stage ?

I know quite a few are planned but how many are actually being built even if at the very early stages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
Blimey some ambitious projects under consideration.I hope the Patriot gets built, the sums involved are massive.

With most people having less cash then in recent times I envisage these projects will take longer than planned.

NY Yankee

Why would they build steam engines if there are more efficient electric and diesel engines? Are they simply building it as a novelty item for railroad museums?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Why would they build steam engines if there are more efficient electric and diesel engines? Are they simply building it as a novelty item for railroad museums?
The locos are being constructed by enthusiasts and preservation groups and will be working replicas of loco classes that never made it into preservation originally. Projects such as the 2MT and 3MT tank projects on the Bluebell and Severn Valley Railways respectively are intended to provide locos well suited to operating preserved lines, while some of the larger locos would almost certainly be destined for main line running. These locos are not being built commercially; they are the product of small and dedicated teams of enthusiasts.

An exception to this is the 5AT project, which is an attempt to build a more efficient steam locomotive than was previously possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.