• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many outsiders get taken on as trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jph140

Afternoon all, does anyone know if swt prefer to take on their own staff as trainee drivers or do they take on a certain number of outsiders. Done the the assessments tests again but have been down this road before only to get a letter to say the jobs gone internally a few months later.

Was hoping to get into Salisbury but know this is a hard depot to get into.

Cheers in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

There are quite a few trainees for SWT that have been taken off the street recently so don't let that hold you back. Salisbury is a difficult depot to get into but they seem to be taking a few trainees on for there lately. Just hang in and ring recruitment now and then to keep your name in the frame! :)

Carlos22

I just got offered a position as a train driver with scotrail based in Motherwell and I've never worked in the industry and I'm also quite young. The recruitment process was very long and extremely hard but it's not impossible to overcome. Just keep trying and I'm sure you'll get it. This forum helped me a lot when I had doubts, there's a lot of valuable information here.

387star

On Moderation
This came up recently.

Everybody has a different view to the point where I would guess it makes little difference. Whilst there are benefits in being an internal candidate sometimes external candidates are simply more suitable for whatever reason.

No point mulling over this. If you apply you will probably have as much chance as anyone else.

Beveridges

Established Member
Main difference is (depending on TOC) some vacancies are advertisied internally only so externals will never even get to see some of them, and when its internal only your normally only competing against about 10-20 others instead of about 200-1000 (per vacancy)

E&W Lucas

Established Member
when its internal only your normally only competing against about 10-20 others instead of about 200-1000 (per vacancy)

However, if you're not up to scratch, you still won't get the job!
Every man and his dog puts in when trainee jobs are advertised internally, but you still get instances of there being "no suitable candidates" from several hundred applicants.

reapz

However, if you're not up to scratch, you still won't get the job!
Every man and his dog puts in when trainee jobs are advertised internally, but you still get instances of there being "no suitable candidates" from several hundred applicants.

That just means they pulled the plug on the jobs because they got ptr moves or qualified from others tocs intrested.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
That just means they pulled the plug on the jobs because they got ptr moves or qualified from others tocs intrested.

They'll have several hundred CV's on file from qualified drivers as we speak.
Selection/ iterview process carried out with internal candidates, all above board. No passes.

TDK

Established Member
Afternoon all, does anyone know if swt prefer to take on their own staff as trainee drivers or do they take on a certain number of outsiders. Done the the assessments tests again but have been down this road before only to get a letter to say the jobs gone internally a few months later.

Was hoping to get into Salisbury but know this is a hard depot to get into.

Cheers in advance

All TOC's will take on a trainee driver due to their suitability whether or not they are already employed by that TOC or any other TOC, certain grades such as guards will get an almost certain sift success due to the nature of their current role as they will be marked high on the sift questions but from there on in they are treated the same as any candidate who gets to the assessment stages. However a qualified driver will always get priority over anyone else so if there is say one vacancy and a qualified driver goes for that vacancy they will almost certainly get the job.

Beveridges

Established Member
Every man and his dog puts in when trainee jobs are advertised internally

Maybe at some locations, but certainly not everywhere, every time an internal vacancy appears. There are many staff in other grades who dont want driving. Having to train for a year puts many off. Theres also some who've failed the tests twice so cant put in for it again.

I've been successful for two Depot Driving jobs in my time both were advertised internal only. Competed against only about 10 others. Then a depot driving job at Heaton was recently advertised and went external. 1300 applicants for 1 vacancy I was told! Similar differences in numbers exist when Mainline Driving jobs are advertised internal and external I've been told. The fact is when theres so many applying its more likely that if your suitable you will still get overlooked.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Can a qualified driver apply for a trainee position though- how does that work?

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes they can apply and when they get the job they go straight onto training on traction and routes but they don't have to get full training on rules again & they don't have to do as many hours practical handling as a new trainee would. Obviously they will pass out much quicker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.