• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many preserved locos have you travelled behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought this might make an interesting thread.
I’m posting it without spending all evening looking through my various books, but I think I’ve been behind a fairly decent chunk of ex BR preserved steam and diesel locos. When I say “decent” I’m probably thinking around a third of them if I’m lucky. But are there any people on here that have kept decent records and have got anywhere near to doing most of the running (or previously running) preserved locos?
Also is there any stuff you’ve had that possibly won’t ever run again (things like Mallard/Green Arrow/27007/D1023 etc)?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spamcan81

I’m posting it without spending all evening looking through my various books, but I think I’ve been behind a fairly decent chunk of ex BR preserved steam and diesel locos. When I say “decent” I’m probably thinking around a third of them if I’m lucky. But are there any people on here that have kept decent records and have got anywhere near to doing most of the running (or previously running) preserved locos?
Also is there any stuff you’ve had that possibly won’t ever run again (things like Mallard/Golden Arrow/27007/D1023 etc)?

I think you mean Green Arrow.

Spamcan81

Also is there any stuff you’ve had that possibly won’t ever run again (things like Mallard/Golden Arrow/27007/D1023 etc)?

Steam Locos I've had but unlikely to run again - at least not anytime soon : Green Arrow, Hardwicke, Evening Star, 60009 (if John Cameron doesn't change his mind regarding her retirement next year), 61994, Stirling Single, GNR 990, 33001, LMS 5000, GWR 5051, 46203, 46229.

UP13

On the mainline I've had 44932, 45212, Tangmere, Braunton, Oliver Cromwell, Union of South Africa, Mayflower and various 47s, 33s and a 37 and 57.

In terms of preserved railways I couldn't even begin to name them all.

Journeyman

Established Member
I've never kept tabs on it, but I can very distinctly remember that the very first standard gauge steam loco I travelled behind was SR Q Class No. 506 on the Bluebell Railway, when I was about ten (1984).

Most recent one was 44871 on the SRPS Fife Circle/Borders trip yesterday.

341o2

Established Member
Longmoor Military railway 1967, most Welsh n/g lines 1980, as the Fairbourne is now 12 1/4, the only 15" loco to be retained is what was formerly Sylvia

Done loads of steam and Diesel over the years. A few won't run again, not least 31123 as it has been scrapped since preservation days.

xotGD

Established Member
It's those who record coach numbers that baffle me...
All part of the fifty shades of crank.

Sort of on-topic, I've certainly had more scrapped locos than preserved locos for haulage.

Steamysandy

It's those who record coach numbers that baffle me...
I once told a friend who lived some distance away that I'd seen the Northern Belle passing.To which he asked Did you get the coach numbers?
Considering it was doing ninety when it passed me it was unlikely
I often wonder how they'd take coach numbers at Tokyo Terminal?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Done loads of steam and Diesel over the years. A few won't run again, not least 31123 as it has been scrapped since preservation days.
I do keep a bit of a record of what I’ve been behind, but it’s just an old habit from my bashing days really and I don’t write down mileages these days (a bit pointless on preserved railways at 25mph I feel).
I’ve managed plenty of runs behind 27007, 08288 and steam - 76017, 34105 and 30506 at the Mid Hants some of which I thought wouldn’t ever run again and some that now probably will.
I had one of the last runs with the class 103 DMU at the West Somerset which was nice.

Did anyone manage a trip behind D1048 Western Lady in preservation? That’s one that hasn’t worked for decades now.

Peter C

Established Member
I actually have the Platform 5 "Preserved Locomotives of British Railways" book (a year or two old now) which I record the preserved engines I've seen in, but it doesn't include those I've ridden behind. From memory/looking at older records:

-6233 Duchess of Sutherland
-70000 Britannia
-63395 (LNER Q6)
-6023 King Edward II
-60163 Tornado*
-50035 Ark Royal
-825 (SR S15)
-60103 Flying Scotsman
-

And I'm sure there are loads others - that's just the ones I can think of. If you want me to clarify the engines (classes, routes, etc.), please let me know!

70000 Britannia is probably the one with the most "It may stop running soon" points, purely because I hear she can be quite temperamental! :)

-Peter

*Do I get extra brownie points for saying I remember seeing her in York Railway Museum when she was in works grey as part of the Flying Scotsman exhibit? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.