• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many tickets are left at an advance quota before an indication is given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I notice on Webtis booking engines once so many Advance tickets are left at a certain price and a certain departure it will say: "Only X tickets left at this price!" How many are left when it starts giving this indication?

Do trainline powered sites to similar and it is when the quota reaches the same number left?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I notice on Webtis booking engines once so many Advance tickets are left at a certain price and a certain departure it will say: "Only X tickets left at this price!" How many are left when it starts giving this indication?

Do trainline powered sites to similar and it is when the quota reaches the same number left?

Haven't hotel booking sites been told off for saying things that aren't true to get people to 'panic buy'?

Is this data actually accurate?

alistairlees

Established Member

1. 9
2. Yes, it's a requirement on all sites now

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes - all sites are now required to show this, so people better understand just how 'limited' (or not) an Advance tier is. It's definitely a good idea IMO. Be aware however - it is possible that an Advance tier will 'run out' before all the seats are sold (e.g. some TOCs block Advance tiers by the number of days until the date of travel, irrespective of whether or not each given tier has been fully used). It's equally possible that, if people cancel or change their tickets, a cheaper Advance tier will become available. However, in general it's always best to book there and then - just be aware of the above so that you're not surprised if the price either increases or decreases if you delay booking.

timmo11

It's equally possible that, if people cancel or change their tickets, a cheaper Advance tier will become available.

Why would people cancel or change a ticket where they will get nothing back at all. Still getting my head around UK ticketing system. Very confusing to an outsider

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why would people cancel or change a ticket where they will get nothing back at all. Still getting my head around UK ticketing system. Very confusing to an outsider

You can change the date and time of an Advance fare if you pay the difference in fare plus a £10 admin fee (although some retailers waive this fee)

timmo11

Thank you that's great to know.

Is there somehweso I can look up what different retailers charge?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thank you that's great to know.

Is there somehweso I can look up what different retailers charge?
There are only three retailers which do not charge the standard £10 fee as far as I'm aware. Chiltern only charge £5, TransPennine Express charge no fee but you must have the excess (i.e. the ticket which changes your booked service) posted out, so you must do so at least 2-3 days in advance of travel (for UK post). CrossCountry offer the best of the bunch IMO - as they also charge no fee, but you can also simply pick up new tickets at a machine, or get e/m-tickets. You then send back the old tickets for a refund - or if they were e/m-tickets then they simply get cancelled. However, I've sometimes experienced it where orders fail to show up in the My Account section, and then they can't be changed any more.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks so much for this - really appreciate it
No problem - however be aware that you must book via their desktop website in order to be eligible for this. Bookings made via the mobile app or the mobile website are not eligible for fee-free changes.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
No problem - however be aware that you must book via their desktop website in order to be eligible for this. Bookings made via the mobile app or the mobile website are not eligible for fee-free changes.

Bookings made via the XC mobile website are eligible for fee-free changes:
www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-admin-fee

Also, the fine print does say "up to 24 hours before you are due to travel" ... I don't know if this is a new condition, or actually enforced. I've certainly changed Advance tickets fee-free with XC with less than 24 hours before the original travel date & time, but I've not had the need to do so recently.

...However, I've sometimes experienced it where orders fail to show up in the My Account section, and then they can't be changed any more.

Curious as to how often you've encountered this issue? Presumably a call to the Web Support Team should be able to sort this out.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It is true, so it is accurate.

Though it is possible for TOCs to later add extra inventory at the lower Advance tiers for particular trains if they want to... I think I've seen it suggested that VTWC are the only operator that really goes in for this though.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Bookings made via the XC mobile website are eligible for fee-free changes:
www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-admin-fee
Ah OK, I must have got it mixed up then. Still, mobile app bookings are not eligible.

Also, the fine print does say "up to 24 hours before you are due to travel" ... I don't know if this is a new condition, or actually enforced. I've certainly changed Advance tickets fee-free with XC with less than 24 hours before the original travel date & time, but I've not had the need to do so recently.
I have been able to change XC-booked Advances with far less than 24 hours left - the only limiting factor is how quickly the tickets can be generated (if e/m-tickets) or added to the system (if ToD).

Curious as to how often you've encountered this issue? Presumably a call to the Web Support Team should be able to sort this out.
I've encountered this issue a fair few times actually - however, whilst I've been able to phone Web Support to do the changeovers, they've only ever been able to do it where I buy the new ticket whilst on the phone with them, and then they refund the old ticket once they see it's gone through. Obviously this is far from ideal as it takes far longer and is much more hassle than the usually painless process of changing tickets through the website.

On the original question, the reservation system can give the accurate number of places left, but for most/many system users (other perhaps than the operating TOC) 9 means '9 or more', so sites will show the information when there are 8 or fewer places available.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
On the original question, the reservation system can give the accurate number of places left, but for most/many system users (other perhaps than the operating TOC) 9 means '9 or more', so sites will show the information when there are 8 or fewer places available.

Out of interest, can TOCs get metrics from NRS as to what journeys on their services have been searched for most frequently etc? (If this is possible, I'd guess it would only work for reservable services.)

I don't know, Joe, but I'd expect so - there will be a lot of reporting available to them to get the number of places at each price level right (right for them, anyway!). I only take seats out of NRS, I don't put them in...

district

Southeastern waive the £10 fee on advance exchanges for journeys to/from Southeastern stations or Gatwick Airport

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Southeastern waive the £10 fee on advance exchanges for journeys to/from Southeastern stations or Gatwick Airport

That's useful to know.

www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/tickets/tickets-explained/advance-tickets
Prior to the departure of the first booked train the date and/or time of an Advance Ticket can be changed at any National Rail ticket office – you will have to pay any difference between the price paid and the price of the next suitable fare for your journey. There is normally a £10 fee to change Advance Tickets however Southeastern waive this fee for Advance Tickets between London terminals or Gatwick Airport and Southeastern destinations.

Sleepy

Established Member
Yes - all sites are now required to show this, so people better understand just how 'limited' (or not) an Advance tier is. It's definitely a good idea IMO. Be aware however - it is possible that an Advance tier will 'run out' before all the seats are sold (e.g. some TOCs block Advance tiers by the number of days until the date of travel, irrespective of whether or not each given tier has been fully used). It's equally possible that, if people cancel or change their tickets, a cheaper Advance tier will become available. However, in general it's always best to book there and then - just be aware of the above so that you're not surprised if the price either increases or decreases if you delay booking.
If a lot of walk up ticket holders reserve lots of seats then Advance tickets showing availability may not be able to complete a transaction on very popular services.

alistairlees

Established Member
If a lot of walk up ticket holders reserve lots of seats then Advance tickets showing availability may not be able to complete a transaction on very popular services.
That's not correct; there simply won't be Advance ticket availability

alistairlees

Established Member
Yes, I could have been clearer in my original response
The response from NRS is between 0 and 9 inclusive
9 gets translated to "Limited Availability"
1 - 8 get displayed
0 means the ticket is not displayed at all (next tier up, if there is one, and it has availability, is displayed instead)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
What do you mean by "fails"? How far do you get before you find out it isn't going to allow completion of your purchase?
I think you get to the stage of being shown the availability of the ticket in conjunction with the train service, but then when proceeding to the step of adding the (mandatory) seat reservations to the basket it will say that it could not reserve seats.

alistairlees

Established Member
What do you mean by "fails"? How far do you get before you find out it isn't going to allow completion of your purchase?

Availability is shown (i.e. you see a fare). The next step, where a booking is made, fails (NRS responds with an error message) because it is not possible for the retailer to reserve into the disabled space.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Availability is shown (i.e. you see a fare). The next step, where a booking is made, fails (NRS responds with an error message) because it is not possible for the retailer to reserve into the disabled space.

Is NRS (i.e. CapGemini) planning on fixing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.