• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many turntables still out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCountry

Theres one in a poor state dumped at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre on the north side I have a pic somewhere Ill see if I can find it.

Quainton%20Turntable.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sorry its the only pic I took the rest is hidden in undergrowth etc
This was originally from Hitchin, and has been recently
purchased by the Mid-Norfolk Railway to be installed at Dereham. :)

dggar

Peak Rail have a 60 ft one at Rowsley South.

Was originally at Mold Junction Shed.

Can fit a Britania and West Country class loco

Scotrail84

Established Member
Are they not installing one on the borders line at tweedbank so they can turn the loco used when running the steam specials?

Skutter

Thanks for those links. I'm wondering about the operation of this turntable - it looks like there are four pillars near the centre which are weight-bearing, and maybe the deck lifts itself before turning? Similar to a lot of swing bridges, so the dynamic loads of vehicles isn't carried by the mechanism?

I also wonder if the turning facilities could be used by railtours or the Shildon museum just up the line - 80 tons will be enough for some locos.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
St Blazey Turntable was declared 'unsafe' last year by DBS last year.
Has been used in the past for turning diesel locos (local clay traffic) to even out wheel wear, and wagons when new tipping frame installed. Essential for steam tours to Cornwall.
For many years BR and successors have wanted rid of the turntable to make more space for the industrial units in the old roundhouse.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Ca...-Blazey-rail/story-22882633-detail/story.html

I think the turntable at St Blazey has been repaired by DBS and is now back in action.

Lord Longhop

are you sure? I could have sworn I read that it had been repaired

Maybe you are confusing it with DBS's agreement last year that companies could use it but AT THEIR OWN RISK which allowed a couple of specials to run late on in the year, but I can assure you it has NOT been repaired

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Maybe you are confusing it with DBS's agreement last year that companies could use it but AT THEIR OWN RISK which allowed a couple of specials to run late on in the year, but I can assure you it has NOT been repaired

Fair enougth - Although I am sure i read that it had been repaired. Perhaps the news story was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.