• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How might Crossrail and the Didcot/Oxford Relief Line services will interface/integrate with the Heathrow Western Link (if it is ever built)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Also, has any thought been given at all in how the Crossrail and the Didcot/Oxford Relief Line services will interface/integrate with the Heathrow Western Link (if it is ever built) as that is planned to run every 15 minutes to Reading or maybe Oxford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also, has any thought been given at all in how the Crossrail and the Didcot/Oxford Relief Line services will interface/integrate with the Heathrow Western Link (if it is ever built) as that is planned to run every 15 minutes to Reading or maybe Oxford?
I suspect that is unlikely enough to happen that no one really needs to be planning that integration.

cle

Established Member
Only speculation, I think.

I saw two approaches:
- Crossrail paths which rejoin the reliefs after Heathrow, and call Slough, Maidenhead, Reading.
- HEx paths which rejoin the reliefs, same calls but with Oxford and Basingstoke/Southampton options. The latter two would be better on the fasts at Reading, but tricky to do. It may be that any SWML services are pure fasts from Paddington, logically.

A third scenario would be services starting at the allocated Heathrow T5 platforms, making pathing easier before Airport Junction. And again, resuming open slots on the reliefs, made available by the T4/T5 terminators.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I fully suspect timetable modelling was undertaken to prove it works to get the scheme to stage it was at. I haven't seen it, but it is probably on a shelf somewhere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd have thought extending Reading-Oxford locals (assumed to be EMUs by then) would be better than diverting Crossrail. One reason is that the train length is probably a better match to likely demand. Another is that diverting via Heathrow would extend journey time into London, so any London passengers from Slough and west would want to use more direct trains which are probably also more busy.

I've posted several times that if a Heathrow Southern rail link is built, its trains should link through to Paddington in preference to linking Reading trains, because they provide other opportunities such as connecting the southwestern suburbs to HS2 at Old Oak.

cle

Established Member
I'd have thought extending Reading-Oxford locals (assumed to be EMUs by then) would be better than diverting Crossrail. One reason is that the train length is probably a better match to likely demand. Another is that diverting via Heathrow would extend journey time into London, so any London passengers from Slough and west would want to use more direct trains which are probably also more busy.

I've posted several times that if a Heathrow Southern rail link is built, its trains should link through to Paddington in preference to linking Reading trains, because they provide other opportunities such as connecting the southwestern suburbs to HS2 at Old Oak.
I think it would be two halves of a service, expectation of full churn - but I agree on the diversion front.

Southern might have to use those platforms too, so it would be interesting to see the plans for that. Perhaps the Staines terminator idea will resurface.

I agree that services starting at Heathrow would make more sense. As EMUs, Oxford (fingers crossed), Newbury and potentially longer distance via Swindon could all be options. I see Basingstoke being wired eventually too, especially if Green Park takes off. EWR seems unlikely, and very circuitous beyond Bicester.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely whether it is separate or through services is highly dependent on the effect of full Crossrail on Heathrow Express? if as many predict HEx is unsustainable, then they'd probably go for through services just to use the fast paths into Paddington?

cle

Established Member
Surely whether it is separate or through services is highly dependent on the effect of full Crossrail on Heathrow Express? if as many predict HEx is unsustainable, then they'd probably go for through services just to use the fast paths into Paddington?
These HEx services enable the fast Slough calls currently, due to the gap they create when they drop off the fasts behind them. So hopefully that can be maintained somehow - either way, it seems that the services would rejoin the GWML on reliefs - so the stopping patterns would need to be weighed up with Crossrail ones.

Sending the HEx paths straight west would cut Slough from the Oxfords. However, you then have 4tph more fast at Reading to play with.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The paths were definitely tied to either Crossrail or HEx, I can’t remember which, but logically it was Crossrail.

On Moderation
The paths were definitely tied to either Crossrail or HEx, I can’t remember which, but logically it was Crossrail.
There's actually a little more logic now in HEx, now that the HEx units are maintained at Reading.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There's actually a little more logic now in HEx, now that the HEx units are maintained at Reading.

In fact it was definitely Crossrail, as the service that didn’t go to Reading has to go to Woking and beyond if the Southern link gets built (don’t hold your breath for that). Clearly that means dual voltage, and equipping the entire Elizabeth Line fleet for that would be silly. Almost as silly as sending Elizabeth line trains to Basingstoke via Heathrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.