• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much longer will social distancing go on for in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its becoming clear that there is a vocal minority who are exploiting the measures used in the pandemic to try to impose their view on how society should operate. This worries me, far more than the risk of catching the virus does.

He's a medical professional and he's expressing the view that would provide the best medical benefit. That's exactly what he should do. Another that would provide huge benefit would be stronger alcohol controls.

Neither is likely to happen because medical people don't make political decisions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
1) Face coverings being the norm when you have a cold or flu - this will not happen as people at the moment are only happy to wear face coverings to stop other people catching covid. They will not be willing to wear them on a regular basis throughout their lives - I certainly won't be. People are putting up with (or supporting) these measures on the fact that they are temporary.
2) Hand shaking "probably gone forever" - nonsense I'm afraid. Everyone I meet at the moment says I can't wait to be able to give you a hug or shake your hand again! Nobody is saying "thank goodness I don't have to shake their hand" - maybe it will become less prolific, but I still intend to greet people in the same fashion as before once the pandemic is over.
He's a medical professional and he's expressing the view that would provide the best medical benefit. That's exactly what he should do. Another that would provide huge benefit would be stronger alcohol controls.

Neither is likely to happen because medical people don't make political decisions.
This I do agree with. The problem is that people often read too much into this as "this is what will happen" - it isn't, and as you've mentioned and I said before, it's like the current alcohol limit for each week - very very rarely abided by because quite simply, it's a recommendation.

Also, the politicians have admitted that western countries do not have a culture of wearing face masks and the only way to change that for the benefit of reducing spread is to mandate them. Otherwise we won't do it. I don't believe for a second that people will be willing to do this en-masse after the pandemic is over.

Just to add actually that also in that article is the same professor who is advocating face coverings saying it will only be needed for the duration of the pandemic. Which is exactly what will happen.

And to stay relatively on topic, the suggestion that social distancing could be used to stop cold outbreaks is clearly preposterous, when it's already dying away and we're still in the middle of a pandemic. It is clear that it will not be workable or even suggested after the pandemic. Anyway, Johnson's already said as much - he wants social distancing done by November.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And to stay relatively on topic, the suggestion that social distancing could be used to stop cold outbreaks is clearly preposterous, when it's already dying away and we're still in the middle of a pandemic. It is clear that it will not be workable or even suggested after the pandemic. Anyway, Johnson's already said as much - he wants social distancing done by November.

I would agree that social distancing to prevent colds would be silly, though I can see the merit in changing the "presenteeism culture" a bit there.

al78

Established Member

BJames

Established Member
The sooner social distancing is over the better. Another covidiot here:

Oh I saw that on TikTok. Fortunately the entirety of the comments were about how ridiculous she was being. If it bothered her that much she should've pulled her window up!

carlberry

Established Member
This first:
Bletchleyite said:

Clearly if you don't know you can be excused, but most of the people wandering around the place sneezing and dripping snot know full well they are doing, and should be at home.

Then this:
Bletchleyite said:
I would agree that social distancing to prevent colds would be silly,

So what's it to be?
Both! One is about the idea of social distancing (i.e saying everybody should stay 2 metres apart) and the other is about people with serious colds coming into workplaces.
The idea of social distancing for colds is extreme, however the idea that people should avoid sneezing and dripping snot over everywhere would be a useful long term improvement (if their employers allow them)!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So what's it to be?

Staying at home if you know you are definitely infected is not "social distancing". It's basic consideration that people should apply all the time if they know they have a communicable disease of any kind.

Social distancing is all this "just in case" stuff we have going on at the moment.

al78

Established Member
Both! One is about the idea of social distancing (i.e saying everybody should stay 2 metres apart) and the other is about people with serious colds coming into workplaces.
The idea of social distancing for colds is extreme, however the idea that people should avoid sneezing and dripping snot over everywhere would be a useful long term improvement (if their employers allow them)!

It is not just the workplace. Some people go to social events full of a cold, spreading it around. People in my local bridge club have done that, despite notices requesting people stay at home if they are ill.

Once when I was at the bridge club dealing boards for a lesson I was giving the following evening I got hit with a nasty bout of gastroenteritis, and had my head over the toilet vomiting. I went home and alerted the committee, told them where in the building I'd been, and they sprayed disinfectant around where I'd been working and got the cleaners in to disinfect the toilet. I then stayed at home for two full days. With a bit of thought we can all minimise the risk of spreading nasty bugs without having to enact draconian measures.

westv

Established Member
All you need for that is a tissue and hand washing.

Enthusiast

With a bit of thought we can all minimise the risk of spreading nasty bugs
Indeed we can. But a cold is not a nasty bug. It's something which millions of people contract every year with symptoms that are usually just not very pleasant. Frankly the idea that a sufferer should stay at home (probably for up to five days) if they have one is preposterous. However, we digress.....

Scrotnig

Those petitions are an utter waste of time.

Even if you get to a point where the government have to 'consider it for debate', they simply respond "we have considered it and decided not to".

They are a sop to make people think they have the power to influence things.

There is absolutely no chance they will alter or remove social distancing based on a petition. Sorry.

Class 33

Established Member
So just 3 Coronavirus deaths in the UK today. Yesterday there were 5 deaths, and on Saturday there were 3 deaths. All being well now, the 7-day rolling average for Coronavirus deaths will be around 3 or 4, if not even lower! The Coronavirus daily death rate now really is incredibly low, and is a far far cry from the peak back in April when the daily deaths were in the 800's, 900's, or even 1,000 or so. By my calculation, the daily deaths now are around 99.5% lower than what they were compared to the peak back in April.

Boris in his press conference a few weeks ago said that we may MAY be able to scrap social distancing from November at the earliest. In my opinion, social distancing should be scrapped by November at the LATEST. Why an earth do we have to wait until AT LEAST November for it to be scrapped, when the daily deaths now are in single digits?! The way things are now - and providing there's not a sharp rise in deaths, social distancing should be scrapped on 1st September. We need to get the economy going PROPERLY again, get people back to work again, remove these nonsense hassly restrictions,and make people feel good again. GET BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Boris in his press conference a few weeks ago said that we may MAY be able to scrap social distancing from November at the earliest. In my opinion, social distancing should be scrapped by November at the LATEST. Why an earth do we have to wait until AT LEAST November for it to be scrapped, when the daily deaths now are in single digits?! The way things are now - and providing there's not a sharp rise in deaths, social distancing should be scrapped on 1st September. We need to get the economy going PROPERLY again, get people back to work again, remove these nonsense hassly restrictions,and make people feel good again. GET BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN!

Ban pre shredded cheese :)

Seriously, that would be an insanely bad idea. Any further "unlocking" needs to be done a bit at a time so we can see the effect it is having.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Ban pre shredded cheese :)

Seriously, that would be an insanely bad idea. Any further "unlocking" needs to be done a bit at a time so we can see the effect it is having.
We've done that since May and no real change so why? All the doom mongers said at each stage numbers would shoot up and didn't happen.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
What still needs "unlocked" (in terms of businesses) in England though? From what I've gathered, it's the "restrictions" on lives (distancing, masks, gatherings, etc.) that need dropping now, not releasing the "lockdown" on sectors of the economy?

I think the biggest concern at the moment is the indoor hospitality sector, and indoor gatherings (the current Lanarkshire outbreak has been traced back to one involving younger generations). I look forward to seeing an outbreak being traced back to a bowling alley, or bank!

@Bletchleyite ONS are saying new cases are levelling off, and the rolling average of new cases is still around 0.6% (yes a slight uptick on a few weeks ago, but this was to be expected). Hospital admissions/ventilator beds occupied aren't rising (yet, touchwood!) though - these are the figures we really need to be watching, along with the different age groups of those tested positive.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Cases are on a slow up now. So we need to watch it.
A slow up and no we don't. We now need to get on with life. Even 1000 cases a day means 200 years before we all get this so even if went up to 10000 a day would still be 20 years so let's just get on with life. If hospitalisations go up and put NHS at risk (which hasn't happened yet) then maybe need some precautions but otherwise what's the point. Let's stop pussy footing around and get going.

DB

Cases are on a slow up now. So we need to watch it.

Leaving aside the point that this is debateable, it's not the most important point anyway - hospitalisations and deaths are way down and those are the two most significant measures.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What still needs "unlocked" (in terms of businesses) in England though?

The entertainments business (gigs etc) is the main one left. It will either need to be reopened in some form or some funding will need to be provided for a controlled closedown.

Leaving aside the point that this is debateable, it's not the most important point anyway - hospitalisations and deaths are way down and those are the two most significant measures.

Because of the measures.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The entertainments business (gigs etc) is the main one left. It will either need to be reopened in some form or some funding will need to be provided for a controlled closedown.
I think there was a distanced, outdoors gig held last week or the week before? Everyone had their own little "square", indicated by temporary metal barriers. I'm sure I saw pictures of it on Twitter, but trying to find them again will be like finding common sense in the House of Commons.

DB

I think there was a distanced, outdoors gig held last week or the week before? Everyone had their own little "square", indicated by temporary metal barriers. I'm sure I saw pictures of it on Twitter, but trying to find them again will be like finding common sense in the House of Commons.

Sounds pretty horrendous!

DB

Because of the measures.

Is it though?

Distancing is now widely ignored. The evidence for masks making any difference is weak, and in any case many people don't wear them properly. There have been a good few cases of large crowds - e.g. raves, Bournemouth Beach, etc - and there is no evidence that any of these have had much of an impact despite the dire warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.