• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much of a thread do you read before commenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
I constantly read threads of people asking for help on ticketing and other matters and by about 6 posts in people are asking the OP questions or making comments that show that they have read none of the previous posts. This leads to threads going off in tangents - people answering questions raised by other posters and the poor OP's original query gets lost.

I dont expect anyone to read the 1000s of posts on the Brexit thread before making their views known but I am intrigued to know how many, people are prepared to read when the OP is asking a ticketing/prosecution/routing question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
I constantly read threads of people asking for help on ticketing and other matters and by about 6 posts in people are asking the OP questions or making comments that show that they have read none of the previous posts. This leads to threads going off in tangents - people answering questions raised by other posters and the poor OP's original query gets lost.

I dont expect anyone to read the 1000s of posts on the Brexit thread before making their views known but I am intrigued to know how many, people are prepared to read when the OP is asking a ticketing/prosecution/routing question.
I generally try and read the whole thread before commenting. I generally don't give route or ticketing advice though because I'd normally be the one asking as I don't have a clue. Ha ha.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
When possible, all of it unless something needs a response in the here and now. Certain threads will be impossible to read from start to end as it would take several hours.

Bedpan

Established Member
Some I try from start to finish, particularly if they are less than say 3 pages. Others I will try to keep up with as the subject is something I have a particular interest in, like the Thameslink fiasco for instance, although I may still miss the odd page. Others I often read bits of but am a bit reluctant to post on in case the point I want to make has already been said, and sometimes because the post I want to reply to is several pages back and the conversation has moved on.

Termy

I generally only comment when a thread is early on in it's life (so that I can read it in it's entirety so I know what I am commenting on!), or when I have something I definitely want to say. Else I just keep schtum... XD
I do read a lot though... I prefer to read as much of a thread as possible before commenting.

Established Member
Some I try from start to finish, particularly if they are less than say 3 pages. Others I will try to keep up with as the subject is something I have a particular interest in, like the Thameslink fiasco for instance, although I may still miss the odd page. Others I often read bits of but am a bit reluctant to post on in case the point I want to make has already been said, and sometimes because the post I want to reply to is several pages back and the conversation has moved on.

That more or less sums up my position too. It is surprising when it's a short thread and somebody makes a point that someone else has made already, suggesting that the new poster hasn't looked at anything apart from the title. But there are other things to do than to keep up with every single thread on here in which I have some sort of interest, so when I come back to something after a break and it's twenty pages longer I might post something without reading all of them.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Some I try from start to finish, particularly if they are less than say 3 pages. Others I will try to keep up with as the subject is something I have a particular interest in, like the Thameslink fiasco for instance,

If you think that's bad; you should check out the ticketing section of the forum !! The Thameslink thread has moved on quite a bit since it was started. Maybe this forum needs a TOC specific section with stickies for each TOC. The speculative ideas section was created to remove clutter from GD. Maybe it might be something to suggest in there.

Ken H

On Moderation
If you think that's bad; you should check out the ticketing section of the forum !! The Thameslink thread has moved on quite a bit since it was started. Maybe this forum needs a TOC specific section with stickies for each TOC. The speculative ideas section was created to remove clutter from GD. Maybe it might be something to suggest in there.
I dont think there are enough sections. Splitting the thing down a little would make navigation easier.

Bedpan

Established Member
I agree entirely. There may be some issues that affect more than one TOC (Brighton Main LIne or Midland Main Line south of Bedfrd for instance, but I can't see that this would cause any great problem.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Depends, if it's up to and including 10 pages, I try to read it from beginning to end. Otherwise, I try to follow it as it progresses. I don't post comments in every last thread though, as I'm utterly clueless in just about every field and I'd rather avoid making a utter fool of myself in multiple sections of the forum.

Would go quite a long ways to explain why I've just barely topped the '1,200 posts' mark in over 5 years of membership!

PeterY

Established Member
Would go quite a long ways to explain why I've just barely topped the '1,200 posts' mark in over 5 years of membership!

It's taken me that long to reach 669
I'm an avid reader and only post if I feel, I've something useful to add.

whhistle

On Moderation
I try and go through the thread opening new tabs to "quote".
Then merge them all together into one post and "reply" thus I should have read the whole thread.
However if it's a huge amount of pages, I'll only read whatever is on the last page (unless it's one or two posts) and reply if I think I have something to add.

fowler9

Established Member
It's taken me that long to reach 669
I'm an avid reader and only post if I feel, I've something useful to add.
I envy you. I can't keep my gob shut, useful info or not, you are probably already aware. Ha ha.

Established Member
It depends how long the thread is, if it's only a few pages long then I read the whole thread.

If it's quite a long thread, then I only read posts from the past couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.