• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much of the Underground map have YOU covered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
The last one on the list is unlikely to happen again now that Circle have been extended to Hammersmith, as further such workings will probably be branded Circle Line services.

It can still happen - WSL or failures on the destruct.

Even if the blind says Circle, check the train number - 21x are H&C, 20x Circ IIRC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bicbasher

Established Member
I can add Mile End to Whitechapel for my District line travels to my previous list after having to transfer from a Central line train at Mile End due to a passenger alarm going off at Bethnal Green.

causton

Established Member

Even if the blind says Circle, check the train number - 21x are H&C, 20x Circ IIRC.

What's WSL? ;)

I'm sure I've seen the Hot+Cold described as suspended between Liverpool Street and Barking fairly recently which means it must be heading to Aldgate to reverse, when the Met then reverses at Moorgate instead...!

Eagle

Established Member
I managed to cover almost all of LU at a leisurely pace over three half-days. The only bits left I have not managed to cover on the existing network are:
  • Watford North Chord on the Met;
  • Moorgate Bays;
  • Liverpool Street to Aldgate on H&C (engineering works only);

Once you've checked those off, you could try and get the connection between the Picc and City branch at KXSP, and the former Bakerloo tunnels at Baker Street that connect to the Jubilee. Good luck :p

Also do Bakerloo trains ever use platform 2 at Willesden Junction?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Once you've checked those off, you could try and get the connection between the Picc and City branch at KXSP, and the former Bakerloo tunnels at Baker Street that connect to the Jubilee. Good luck :p

Erm, I will put that down as a lifetime mission. ;)

Also do Bakerloo trains ever use platform 2 at Willesden Junction?

Not that I am aware of.

I recently did Pfm 2 at WIJ, but on LO.

Daniel

Established Member
What's WSL? ;)

Wrong Signal Lowered!

I'm sure I've seen the Hot+Cold described as suspended between Liverpool Street and Barking fairly recently which means it must be heading to Aldgate to reverse, when the Met then reverses at Moorgate instead...!

Generally, yes, but don't forget that C stock trains can reverse east to west at Liverpool Street, too.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

When this happens, does the driver ensure that the entire train is cleared out before proceeding, like at Seven Sisters, or is it just an announcement for all passengers to change, such as the case at Kennington?

Daniel

Established Member
When this happens, does the driver ensure that the entire train is cleared out before proceeding, like at Seven Sisters, or is it just an announcement for all passengers to change, such as the case at Kennington?

Do you mean when reversing at Aldgate? It'd be neither really!

If the H&C is suspended past Liverpool Street, drivers would advise passengers to travel to Tower Hill via the Circle Line to catch either the District or c2c services.

The train wouldn't require detraining as the move into and out of Aldgate is a fully signalled colourlight move.

craigwilson

For me:

Bakerloo: Piccadilly Circus to Paddington
Central: Ealing Broadway - Bank
Circle: only sections shared with District, see below
District: Paddington - Earls Court, Ealing Broadway - Earls Court, Wimbledon - Earls Court, and Cannon Street - Earls Court
Hammersmith & City: Padd - Aldgate East
Jubilee: Baker Street - Willesden Green
Metropolitan: Only sections shared with H&C
Northern: High Barnet - Charing Cross, and Camden Town - London Bridge
Piccadilly: Wood Green - Sudbury Hill (not including Heathrow branch)
Victoria: Brixton - Highbury & Islington
Overground: Acton Central - Kensal Rise; Highbury & Islington - Kentish Town West

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
I recently did Pfm 2 at WIJ, but on LO.
I'm pretty sure the bay wouldn't be long enough for a Bakerloo line train!

Wrong Signal Lowered!

Generally, yes, but don't forget that C stock trains can reverse east to west at Liverpool Street, too.
Aha! And yes, of course!

Last time I did it, the train didn't actually terminate at Liverpool Street. Sorry if I didn't make that clear! The train was actually advertised on boards and trains as terminating at Aldgate, presumably as compensation for the Met passengers who wanted Aldgate but as said before, the Met was terminating at Moorgate! Just obviously the TfL site had trouble explaining that the H+C would be diverted to Aldgate so just said suspended from Liverpool Street...

ValleyLines142

Established Member
For me, it's the following:

Bakerloo: Paddington to Waterloo
Central: Notting Hill to Stratford (Stratford only covered on Saturday)
Circle: Whole line covered
District: Southfield to Edgware Road/Bow Road (Bow Road only covered Saturday)
Hammersmith & City: Paddington to Kings Cross
Jubilee: Baker Street to Westminster (love the 1996 stock of the line and they're similarity to 465s!)
Metropolitan: Baker Street to Kings Cross
Northern: Waterloo/Kings Cross to Camden Town
Piccadilly: Kings Cross to Gloucester Road
Victoria: Victoria to Highbury & Islington (H&I only covered on Sunday - also love the new 2009 stock on the line!)
DLR: Bow Church to Stratford (first time on the DLR on Saturday!)
Overground: Camden Road to Highbury & Islington (first time on the Overground also on Sunday too, with 378232 working 2N48 1317 Willesden Junction to Stratford!)

317 forever

Established Member
All of it, helped by having lived in London in the 70s and 80s.

It took me until 29 September 2012 to ride the Hesthrow Terminal 5 extension though.

southern442

Established Member
BAKERLOO: all
CENTRAL: White city-Liverpool st. Also South ruislip to West ruislip on NR
CIRCLE: all inner, done Edgware rd-Wood Ln on H&C
DISTRICT: all except Tower hill-Upminster and Olympia branch (I think), done Bromley-by-bow to West ham on NR if that counts
HAMMERSMITH AND CITY: all except Liv st-Barking.
JUBILEE: all except Wembley pk-Stanmore
METROPOLITAIN: main line (i.e: not the Watford and Uxbridge branches)
NORTHERN: both branches (except Warren st-Camden town), Morden line, Edgware branch as far as Golders green and Kentish town-Highgate
PICCADILLY: Russel sq-Terminal 5
VICTORIA: Highbury & islington-Stockwell
WATERLOO AND CITY: all
DLR: all except London city airport-Woolwich arsenal, Custom house-Beckton and the Stratford intnl branch
LONDON OVERGROUND: all except GOBLIN and the New cross and Battersea pk branches of the ELL.
EMIRATES AIR LINE: all
TRAMLINK: all except Elmers end
I've even been on the millenium funicular:D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you mean when reversing at Aldgate? It'd be neither really!

If the H&C is suspended past Liverpool Street, drivers would advise passengers to travel to Tower Hill via the Circle Line to catch either the District or c2c services.

The train wouldn't require detraining as the move into and out of Aldgate is a fully signalled colourlight move.

I notice that the H&C is terminating at Liverpool Street on the weekend of 17th/18th August. Interestingly the Met is shown as running normally. Is there really enough space at Aldgate?

Edit:

Just seen the other post. Never mind. Another time. (I will do Primrose Hill instead.)

rmt4ever

On the LUL I have (unfortunately) had to travel from Cockfosters when the ECML went up **** creak and I had to use the Picc as an alternative. It was LONG!!!!!
So effectively travelled all of the Picc (except that disused bit to Aldwych)

On the Northern line I have never been all the way South, though I THINK I have been up the top of both Northern branches, never been to MHE tho.

Central been as far west as can be, but hmm I think Loughton or something. Certainly never been to Epping (or Ongar).

All of District, Jubilee, C&H. Met main, never been Chesham, done the rest. Vic line, never been south of Victoria, done the rest.

B.Loo, never been south of W.Loo or North of Willesden.

All of W&C ;)

Did a lil bit of ELL when it was under LUL, maybe Surrey something to Whitechapel

Anyway I have no desire to do any of the rest that I don't have to. Travelling on the LUL is a nightmare

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Not done:
Bakerloo - Waterloo to Lambeth North
Central - Junction of Ealing Broadway branch to Greenford
Jubilee - Baker St to Stanmore
Met - Amersham, Chesham and Watford branches.
Northern - Morden to Clapham Common, Kennington to London Bridge, Mills Hill East and Enfield Branches
Piccadilly - Cockfosters to Russell Square, Heathrow branch
Victoria - Vauxhall to Brixton
DLR - the bits opened after 2008...

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Well, I'm going to London tomorrow, primarily for the Stone Roses concert in Finsbury Park (just to make some of you jealous :p), and I have plans to cover a few more stretchs of the map to kill some time in the afternoon before I actually go to the gig.

I'm finally gonna do the GOBLIN, from Walthamstow Queens Road to somewhere westbound (I havent yet decided :p), and maybe part of one of the Northern line branches. And if I have enough time, the stretch of DLR between Canning Town and Stratford International.

TheJRB

Established Member
Strictly on these lines' own trains excluding track covered by shared lines:

Bakerloo Queens Park to Waterloo
Central West Ruislip to Greenford; Ealing Broadway to Notting Hill Gate; and Oxford Circus to Stratford.
Circle Everything except Edgware Road to Paddington (Praed Street) and Paddington (Suburban) to Hammersmith.
District Ealing Broadway to Aldgate East and Earl's Court to Olympia.
Hammersmith & City Aldgate East to Paddington (Suburban)
Jubilee Stratford to Finchley Road
Metropolitan Everything including Watford West Curve.
Northern High Barnet to London Bridge and Camden Town to Waterloo via Mornington Crescent.
Piccadilly King's Cross St Pancras to Acton Town
Victoria Blackhorse Road to Highbury & Islington and King's Cross St Pancras to Victoria.
Waterloo & City Everything (Northbound)

Docklands Light Railway Stratford International to Stratford
London Overground Stratford to Clapham Junction; Barking to Blackhorse Road; Highbury & Islington to Clapham Junction via Surrey Quays; Surrey Quays to New Cross; and London Euston to Wembley Central.
London Tramlink Elmers End to East Croydon
Emirates Air Line None

Nym

Established Member
Bakerloo: Harrow and Weldstone to Lambeth North
Central: Shepards' Bush to Stratford
Circle: All of it.
District: Ealing Common and West Brompton to Tower Hill & Kensington Olympia to Edgeware Road
Hammersmith and City: Hammersmith to West Ham
Jubilee: Finchley Road to Stratford
Metropolitan: Ammersham, Watford & Uxbridge to Aldgate
Northern: Kennington (Including Loop) via CX to Edgeware, South Wimbledon via Bank to Kentish Town
Piccadilly: Rayners Lane & Hatton Cross to Finsbury Park
Victoria: Brixton to Walthamstow Central (way too many times)
Waterloo and City: None

Overground: Watford Junction to Euston, Willesden Junction to Stratford, Willesden Junction to Acton Central, Highbury and Islington to Shadwell.

DLR: Bank & Tower Gateway to Cutty Sark & Royal Albert

anti-pacer

Established Member
All of it except...

METROPOLITAN LINE: Moor Park-Watford
PICCADILLY LINE: Acton Town-Uxbridge

I have done all of DLR too except the new(ish) bit between Stratford International and Canning Town.

When I worked in London from 2001-2004, I bought a 1-Day Travel card (ODTC) on about 3 Saturdays out of every 4.......and I abused it! I'm into buses as well as railways, so I travelled on almost EVERY rail line (in BOTH directions!) within the range of one of these tickets. On one occasion, I bought the 'extension' allowing me to do Amersham, Chesham & Watford. It would be economical to detail the lines I have NOT done...
1) Stratford - Stratford International (I could have done this yesterday, but I forgot!),
2) Paddington - Greenford - West Ruislip (The only public service on this line out of Paddington runs Mon-Fri, and the first stop (Gerards Cross?) is well beyond the scope of a ODTC
3) Heathrow. You can't use a ODTC on the HEX services, but I THINK you can use one on the Heathrow Connect service. I dunno what's happening to the lines to Terminals 4 and 5.
4) The Overground link across Nerw Cross Gate.
5) The DC lines between Hatch End and Watford Junc - now part of the LO, but the ODTC won't cover it.
6) The lines into Liverpool Street from Barking

I managed to knock off the Canonbury - Clapham Junc, Piccadilly line to Terminal 5 and DLR to Woolwich lines yesterday.

jnjkerbin

Hmmm...

Bakerloo Waterloo - Paddington
Central Stratford - Notting Hill Gate
Circle All except Liv St - Barbican and Edgware Rd - Farringdon
District Tower Hill - West Brompton/Olympia/Richmond and Earls Court - Edgware Road.
H&C Hammersmith - Edgware Rd and Farringdon - Barbican
Jubilee All except Neasden - Stanmore
Met Aldgate - Liv St, Barbican - Farringdon, Finchley Rd - Moor Park
Northern Kennington - Waterloo/Kings Cross, Charing X - Mornington Crescent.
Piccadilly Wood Green - Hammersmith
Victoria None of it
W&C All of it

DLR All except Greenwich - South Quay, Beckton & Strat Int Branches
Overground New Cross/Clapham Jn - Shadwell, Clapham Jn/Richmond - Willesden Jn
Tramlink West Croydon - Beckenham Jn

Hope to do some more over the summer :)

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I can now add the Overground between Walthamstow Queens Road and Upper Holloway, and the Northern line between Highgate and Camden Town to my coverage.

Hopefully, the coming summer should give me an opportunity to clear the Hainault loop of the Central line, some of the Piccadilly line north of Finsbury Park (up to Arnos Grove at least), and I might try my luck and completely finish the Victoria line off as well, if I go completely off my rocker and fancy being in Brixton for a few minutes. :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
2) Paddington - Greenford - West Ruislip (The only public service on this line out of Paddington runs Mon-Fri, and the first stop (Gerards Cross?) is well beyond the scope of a ODTC

It now terminates at West Ruislip and calls at both South and West Ruislip.

3) Heathrow. You can't use a ODTC on the HEX services, but I THINK you can use one on the Heathrow Connect service. I dunno what's happening to the lines to Terminals 4 and 5.

A Travelcard is valid on Heathrow Connect between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington only.

Travel between Terminals 1, 2, 3, Terminal 4 and Terminal 5 is free.

5) The DC lines between Hatch End and Watford Junc - now part of the LO, but the ODTC won't cover it.

Not if it is a Zones 1-6 variety. Yes if it is a Zones 1-9 variety as far as Watford High Street. An Off-Peak Day Return from Boundary Zone 6 to Watford Junction is £4.30 without Railcard discount.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
For me, it's the following:

Central: Notting Hill to Stratford (Stratford only covered on Saturday)
District: Southfield to Edgware Road/Bow Road (Bow Road only covered Saturday)
Jubilee: Baker Street to Westminster (love the 1996 stock of the line and they're similarity to 465s!)
Piccadilly: Kings Cross to Gloucester Road
Victoria: Victoria to Highbury & Islington (H&I only covered on Sunday - also love the new 2009 stock on the line!)
DLR: Bow Church to Stratford (first time on the DLR on Saturday!)
Overground: Camden Road to Highbury & Islington (first time on the Overground also on Sunday too, with 378232 working 2N48 1317 Willesden Junction to Stratford!)

The Jubilee Line I have now covered from Baker Street to Waterloo.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Central: Shepherd's Bush to Stratford
District: Southfields to Edgware Road/Bow Road
Jubilee: Baker Street to North Greenwich (love the 1996 stock of the line and they're similarity to 465s!)
Piccadilly: Kings Cross to Earls Court
Victoria: Victoria to Highbury & Islington (really like the 2009 stock on the line!)
DLR: Royal Victoria to Stratford via Poplar
Overground: Camden Road to Highbury & Islington
Emirates Air Line: North Greenwich to Royal Victoria

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Got the bugger yesterday.

No Met running in central London, so ended up on a C-stock terminating at Aldgate, and announced as such too. Only that auto-announcements were turned off and the driver did manual announcements all the way.

Train 231 so I assume it was the H&C. :D

bluegoblin7

Established Member
After the weekend's trip with the '38 stock I've now managed to cover the Kennington loop whilst awake and the points from the Piccadilly to the District just before Hammersmith (I think that's where we switched!).

Also managed to do the Moorgate bays (Inc. ex-Thameslink) which I didn't previously mention. Pretty sure I've had the various terminating platforms at Tower Hill/Mansion House/Gloucester Road etc too at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.