• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much of the Underground map have YOU covered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Bakerloo- Elephant & Castle-Paddington
Central- Stratford-Shepherd's Bush
Circle- Whole Line
District- Upminster-Whitechapel, Ealing Bdwy/Richmond-Tower Hill, Wimbledon-Edgware Road, Olympia.
Hammersmith and City- Barking-Whitechapel, Liverpool St-Hammersmith
Jubilee- Baker Street-Stratford
Metropolitan- Aldgate-Finchley Road, Harrow-on-the-Hill-Amersham
Northern- Euston-Waterloo, Balham-Kings Cross St Pancras
Piccadilly- Acton Town-Cockfosters
Victoria- Whole Line
Waterloo & City- Whole Line

LOROL- Euston-Bushey, Willesden Jn-Clapham Jn, Clapham Jn-Surrey Quays, Surrey Quays-New Cross, Highbury & Islington-Canada Water, Barking-Gospel Oak, Richmond-Stratford, New X Gate-West Croydon/Crystal Palace
DLR- Entire Network
Tramlink- Mitcham Junction-East Croydon, Elmers End-Centrale

Last edited:

gottago

So, today I went to Kennington: thought I'd have a go at the loop. Found the right platform and let two trains go, both with Edgware via Charing Cross on the back. Third came in and went for it. Sat in the second carriage, but then the driver came to the window and said train terminates here. I asked if he was going round the loop and he said he was but couldn't take passengers.

He was very polite and I'm not one for starting an argument so said thank you and got off. I trooped back to another platform, wondering can you actually do it, and how?

I looked online but could only find contradictory answers.

Not complaining but disappointed, so is there a tactic?
Just keep getting on a train until you don't get chucked off.

hassaanhc

Established Member
So, today I went to Kennington: thought I'd have a go at the loop. Found the right platform and let two trains go, both with Edgware via Charing Cross on the back. Third came in and went for it. Sat in the second carriage, but then the driver came to the window and said train terminates here. I asked if he was going round the loop and he said he was but couldn't take passengers.

He was very polite and I'm not one for starting an argument so said thank you and got off. I trooped back to another platform, wondering can you actually do it, and how?

I looked online but could only find contradictory answers.

How about making a beeline for the rear of the train? Or even better stay on the train from Waterloo? :)

ModernRailways

Established Member

For me, it was as simple as getting on at Waterloo and then just not getting off. If the driver sees someone on the platform they're obviously going to tell you. They don't check though if anyone has stayed on, plus if you're already on the train you have the excuse of 'Oh, sorry I didn't hear' or that you're a tourist or whatever you want to make up.

Daniel

Established Member
The amount of passenger alarms activated in the Kennington loop is quite surprising. Because of this if a driver sees you boarding a train which as far as a normal passenger is concerned is out of service, he/she will likely let you know as many people panic and pull a PEA.
As others have said, get on a terminating train at Waterloo, preferably towards the rear, and stay on board.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I did the loop at the end of last year.

I got on a train at Waterloo but upon arrival at Kennington platform staff did a check to make sure everyone was off the train.

Undeterred I hung around the platform until it looked as though the train was about to depart and then jumped in to one of the rear carriages.

It took a long time to go round the loop. We must have been held at a red signal for the best half on 10 minutes at one point.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Getting on the train at Kennington is just asking for trouble.

The driver was probably thinking that he did you a favour by telling you not to get on (and with any "normal" passenger he was).

There is not always a platform staff, and most of the time you would get away with it, not that we condone it.

TheNewNo2

JUBILEE: Missing the section from Wembley Park to West Hampstead
NORTHERN: Complete
PICCADILLY: Missing Holloway Road to Cockfosters and Acton Town to Eastcote
BAKERLOO: Missing Waterloo to Elephant & Castle and Kenton to Harrow & Wealdstone
CENTRAL: Complete
VICTORIA: Complete
WATERLOO AND CITY: Complete
CIRCLE: Complete
DISTRICT: Missing Paddington to Edgware Road; Tower Hill to Bow Road and Upton Park to Upminster
HAMMERSMITH AND CITY: Missing Wood Lane to Royal Oak and East Ham to Barking
METROPOLITAN: Missing Watford and Chesham branches.

Also, Hadders, don't do that. We get enough people overcarried causing us LCH as it is.

DasLunatic

Bakerloo - Piccadilly Circus - Baker Street
Central - Liverpool Street - Bond Street
Circle* - Gloucester Road - Westminster/Embankment - Hammersmith
District* - Tower Hill - Hammersmith
Hammersmith & City* - Liverpool Street - Hammersmith
Jubilee - Stratford - Westminster / Baker St. - Bond Street
Metropolitan* - Aldgate - Baker Street
Northern (Charing X Branch) Waterloo - Euston
Northern (Bank Branch) Euston - Moorgate
Piccadilly - Kings X St. Pancras - Leicester Sq.
Victoria - Kings X St. Pancras - Victoria / Vauxhall - Pimlico
W&C - Haven't touched.

Tramlink - Haven't touched.
DLR: Stratford/Tower Hill - Greenwich / Custom House - Canning Town
Overground - Haven't touched.
TfL Rail - Complete**

* All subsurface lines are joint.
** Under Abellio Greater Anglia.

TheNewNo2

Though an over-carry into Kennington loop doesn't generate an item/LCH, as the train is technically in service.

Looking at past incidents on CuPID, it's generally been coded as a TDL at Kennington northbound, listed as "Customers & Public - Other, Use of Alarm (Spurious/Error)", generating anything up to a couple of thousand LCH.

Daniel

Established Member
Looking at past incidents on CuPID, it's generally been coded as a TDL at Kennington northbound, listed as "Customers & Public - Other, Use of Alarm (Spurious/Error)", generating anything up to a couple of thousand LCH.

Yes, an item generated against a passenger alarm causing a delay, not the over-carry itself.

321over360

Bakerloo: Kilburn Park to Elephant & Castle
Central Line: Ealing Broadway to Epping/Woodford via Newbury Park
Circle: All of it I think
District: All bar Ealing Broadway to Acton Town
Hammersmith & City: All of it
Jubilee: Wembley Park to Stratford
Metropolitan: Wembley Park to Aldgate
Northern: Colindale/Finchley Central to Kennington via both branches
Piccadilly Line: Wood Green to Heathrow T123&4
Victoria Line: All of it
Waterloo & City: All 2 stops of it
DLR: Everything
LO: All NLL both Richmond and Clapham Routes, South London, most of the ELL (bar Crystal Palace branch), Barking to Blackhorse Road and Kilburn to Euston on the DC (however does passing by on a Virgin Trains count as doing all the way up to Watford?)
TFL Rail: All of it

causton

Established Member
LO: All NLL both Richmond and Clapham Routes, South London, most of the ELL (bar Crystal Palace branch), Barking to Blackhorse Road and Kilburn to Euston on the DC (however does passing by on a Virgin Trains count as doing all the way up to Watford?)
Would say no. You could possibly push it as far as "clearing" Euston - Bushey but they are completely separate lines, with only one crossover at Watford, and the lines completely split between Watford and Bushey so as a purist I would say no ;)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Update

LU

Bakerloo - Whole line
Central - Whole line including Hainault loop
Circle - Full circle (before extended to Hammersmith)
District - Whole line including Kensington High Street - Olympia shuttle
Hammersmith and City - Whole line
Jubilee - Stratford - Baker Street (including Charing Cross stub before extension)
Metropolitan - Whole line except Amersham
Northern - Whole line including Kennington balloon loop
Piccadilly - Whole line
Victoria - Whole line
Waterloo and City - Whole line

LOROL
Richmond/Clapham Junction - Stratford (including Primrose Hill diversion)
Gospel Oak - Blackhorse Road
Highbury & Islington - Crystal Palace/Clapham Junction via Inner South London line and Battersea Park diversion
West Croydon - Norwood Junction
Euston - Watford Junction via DC line
East London Line (before transfer to LOROL) - Whitechapel - New Cross and New Cross Gate
East London Line after transfer to LOROL - Complete

DLR
Tower Gateway/ Bank - Island Gardens (original station site), also on to Cutty Sark
Tower Gateway - Beckton
Stratford International - Beckton
Stratford - Canary Wharf via Bow Church
Canning Town - Woolwich Arsenal

Croydon Tramlink - Complete

Emirates - None

Last edited:

Sprinter

Would say no. You could possibly push it as far as "clearing" Euston - Bushey but they are completely separate lines, with only one crossover at Watford, and the lines completely split between Watford and Bushey so as a purist I would say no ;)

I believe the recent resignalling/pointwork changes at Watford Junction has done away with the single track link between the DC lines and the Up Fast, indeed the bit of third rail that was on the Up Fast at this point has been removed. So apart from the approaches of Euston the only other link between the WCML and the DC line is the link that runs round the edge of Willesden TMD.

kareeosman

I saw this thread at the end of June so figured how much I could cover in July. Surprisngly have done quite a bit. Doubt I will have the time to finish it off this month!

http://i.imgur.com/OhWYgE0.jpg

The actual image is a lot larger (7521x5270) but Imgur has compressed it. I just edit out the staion names once I have been to them.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
I believe the recent resignalling/pointwork changes at Watford Junction has done away with the single track link between the DC lines and the Up Fast, indeed the bit of third rail that was on the Up Fast at this point has been removed. So apart from the approaches of Euston the only other link between the WCML and the DC line is the link that runs round the edge of Willesden TMD.

Thats now back in and signalled.

Sprinter

As a three time world record holder for the London Underground tube challenge and actually being a born a bred Londoner, there is very little on the Underground/Overground/DLR system that I have not covered, the Kennington loop being one notable example that I haven't yet covered.

Although I never did the Aldwych branch (nor the Epping-Ongar section under LU operation) as I was too young and only just getting only the hobby at the time.

Having done all the "normal" sections of track, I have also covered some of the rarer bits of track that engineering work (or late night trains) produce, examples include:

--Woodford through siding from all three platforms
--Euston Loop on the Northern line
--West Ham centre siding (in and out of both ends)
--Slow/local line both ways between Northfields and Acton Town
--Newbury Park centre siding (departing from the eastbound platform on a westbound train)
--Hatton Cross crossover, departing the station wrong road
--Watford north Curve (lost count how many times I have covered this)!
--Acton Town eastbound crossover between fast and local line (i.e. an ex Heathrow train arriving into platform 4 at Acton Town from the fast line).
--Queensway Central line crossover
--Hainault platform 1 crossover (departing wrong road)
--Seven Sisters platform 4 northbound departure towards Walthamstow
--West Silvertown- London City Airport on inbound track but travelling towards Woolwich
too many to list...

I have also covered (on railtours) the Victoria line branch to Northumberland Park (and staff platform), Heathrow Terminal 5 turnback siding and Charing Cross Jubilee

DJD200

BAKERLOO: completed.
CENTRAL: completed.
CIRCLE: completed.
DISTRICT: completed.
HAMMERSMITH & CITY: completed.
JUBILEE: completed.
METROPOLITAN: completed.
NORTHERN: completed.
PICADILLY: completed.
VICTORIA: completed.
WATERLOO & CITY: completed (including all stations).

150 stations visited.

DasLunatic

Correct as of 18-08-15

Central - Liverpool Street - Notting HG
Circle* - Notting HG - Westminster/Embankment - Hammersmith
District* - Tower Hill - Hammersmith
Hammersmith & City* - Liverpool Street - Hammersmith
Jubilee - Stratford - Baker Street
Piccadilly - Kings X St. Pancras - Gloucester Road.
W&C - Haven't touched.

DLR: Stratford/Tower Hill - Greenwich / Royal Victoria - Canning Town
Overground - New X Gate - Rotherhithe.
TfL Rail - Complete**
Cable Car - Northbound only

Last edited:

Envy123

Bakerloo: Charing Cross to Paddington
Central: Loughton to Notting Hill Gate
Circle: Westbourne Park to Victoria.
District: Fulham Broadway to Earl's Court. Acton Town to Upminster.
Hammersmith and City: Westbourne Park to Barking.
Jubilee: Canons Park to West Ham.
Metropolitan: Wembley Park to Finchley Road. Baker Street to Aldgate.
Northern: Totteridge & Whetstone to Kennington via Bank. Edgware to Kennington via Charing X.
Piccadilly: Southgate to Acton Town.
Victoria: Blackhorse Road to Victoria.
Waterloo and City: None.

Overground: East London line from Highbury & Islington to Shadwell. North London Line from Kentish Town West to Finchley Road & Frognal. GOBLIN from Barking to Blackhorse Road. Cheshunt/Enfield Line from Bethnal Green to Edmonton Green (back when it was AGA and NXEA respectively). Kentish Town West to Stratford.

DLR: None.

:)

Last edited:

plcd1

I've done all of the LU network plus the Kennington loop, Euston loop, Finsbury park crossovers both ways, Seven Sisters to N Park depot several times, Aldwych branch, Epping to Ongar before it closed, cab rides in several places including all the Vic, part of the Picc, part of the District, central area and G Green branch on the Northern line, Watford to Chesham in A Stock cab just before it finished.

Done all of the DLR and all of the Barking - Gospel Oak, Highbury - West Croydon / Crystal Palace / New Cross / C Junc via Peckham, Stratford - Richmond / C Junction, Highbury - Queens Park via Primrose Hill, Queens Park to Harrow and Wealdstone. Just got the bottom and top bits of the Watford DC line outstanding. Also Liverpool St - Shenfield / Enfield Town / Chingford. I've not done Edmonton Green - Cheshunt.

silverfoxcc

Taking the zones covered by the London Connnections map as our 'satnav' my son and i have now covered ( and by that i mean full line both ways) the following
All the tube network excluding the peak hours only bits
All the ex BR lines north of the river
just need the stratfor intl - lewisham and woolwich branches on the DLR
All the LSWR lines anti clockwise rund to the epsom zones 6 some of the Tramlink
As we only do this on Sats whwn going to football may take another season or two

Oh still need the Moorgate-Finsbury Park and return

DasLunatic

Central - Liverpool Street - Notting HG
Circle* - Notting HG - Westminster/Embankment - Hammersmith
District* - Aldgate E - Wimbledon/Hammersmith
Hammersmith & City* - Aldgate E - Hammersmith
Jubilee - Stratford - Baker Street
Piccadilly - Kings X St. Pancras - Gloucester Road.
W&C - Complete, SB only

DLR: Stratford/Tower Hill - Greenwich / Royal Victoria - Canning Town
Overground - New X Gate - Rotherhithe.
TfL Rail - Complete
Cable Car - Northbound only

Status
Not open for further replies.