• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much preparation can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul_Duke

I have my stage two assessments coming up soon. (MMI, 2-hand, concentration / reaction and the pictures of cars one.)

I'm just wondering, aside from getting my six scenarios clear in my mind, how much preparation can I actually do?

I've read that these tests are supposed to measure 'Inate' skills and can't be practised for really.

How true do you think that is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave999

The MMI can be practised by writing bullet points down to help you on the day, I didn't practice for the other computer tests at all. If you have the ability you will breeze it on the day.

LETHLFH

The TOC usually send practice materials out at least 7 days before. I found the my wife holding the pictures up for 1 second then asking me to identify if 5 items were in or not was very helpful. I think the pictures were of kitchens. You could even ask somebody to prepare pictures of traffic from google images to imitate the test.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I found the my wife holding the pictures up for 1 second then asking me to identify if 5 items were in or not was very helpful. I think the pictures were of kitchens.

Wow that is a huge hint <D

Also yes the test is designed for more innate ability. You can practice but you may find that you struggle or you may find that when you take the test that the practice you did or the material provided does not reflect the actual test.

Remember the 7 non technical skills and you will go far.

DunfordBridge

Think I shall second everything that ComUtiR has said. Additionally, I would state the mundanely obvious: No booze, plenty of sleep and try to avoid stress. Not much you can do to improve your performance but avoid those things that are going to impair it.

I have a theory that prior to the introduction of these tests, the tests will have been trialled on a sample of train drivers, both those with good safety of the line records, and otherwise. I imagine that the scores would have collated against their scores on the Group Bourdon test. They would therefore know what level of performance to expect on the vigilance test for someone who can complete 50 rows on the Group Bourdon test.

What I am trying to maintain is that from these samples of scores, it will be possible to deduce if someone has been over-practicing on the Group Bourdon test and whether that result should be trusted as it could give a false indication of sustained vigilance.

Regarding the ATAVT Traffic test, buses and cars are going to stand out quite well in the photos so skirt around the traffic. I have not done these newish tests BTW but do you ever get any photos where the cars are in the distance, I would not even know how many photos are in the test?

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think you are over-thinking things. Each test is just pass or fail (or enhanced pass if relevant), they don't change the pass mark based on how well or badly you have done in a different test.

Status
Not open for further replies.