• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much to run a bus per hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if the bus operators don't make a killing around Manchester with the running costs quoted! Singles start at 2.70, and many buses appear to be quite full. Prices seem to rise about 20-50p a year, or three times as fast as everyone's wages...
Most services will be quiet in one direction for example going out of the city early in the morning then busy going back in. Then the other way on later on. Evening services will not be very busy during the week.
Politicians always seem convinced the bus companies are raking it in, hence when franchising comes up they believe they will do a better job, profits will shoot up and they will be able to invest in a much better London style service and return to the halcyon days pre deregulation.
Then they look into the realities of it an back off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
Would bus companies get discounts buying new buses in bulk, such as Stagecoach put in an order for something like 20 vehicles spread over there divisions, but would get a discount say !0% off the total price?
The bigger companies like Stagecoach do get bulk buying discounts, how much depends on what the manufacturer offers. AFAIK though most new buses are on some kind of finance, be it HP or an operating lease of some kind.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Most services will be quiet in one direction for example going out of the city early in the morning then busy going back in. Then the other way on later on. Evening services will not be very busy during the week.
Politicians always seem convinced the bus companies are raking it in, hence when franchising comes up they believe they will do a better job, profits will shoot up and they will be able to invest in a much better London style service and return to the halcyon days pre deregulation.
Then they look into the realities of it an back off.
In Manchester, there is a fair bit of opposite peak flow though as well. Think that a lot of the hospitals are out of town and also a good few routes run from the major towns into Manchester City Centre so again you have people going both ways.

L401CJF

Established Member
The bigger companies like Stagecoach do get bulk buying discounts, how much depends on what the manufacturer offers. AFAIK though most new buses are on some kind of finance, be it HP or an operating lease of some kind.

Most new buses bought by stagecoach have been and are still Alexander Dennis. Either Stagecoach or the chap who owns it (I can't remember) own big shares in ADL so are in effect buying buses from him/their selves. I did read a while ago they were selling their share but not sure if they actually did or not? Pretty sure when I worked there, the owner of Stagecoach also owned or part owned the company that supplies their biodiesel - again not sure 100%, and not sure if they still do.

njlawley

Either Stagecoach or the chap who owns it (I can't remember) own big shares in ADL so are in effect buying buses from him/their selves.
It was Brian Souter and Ann Gloag who owned shares, but not any more as the entire company was sold to Canadian firm NFI in May last year.

As for amounts, I've been told £200k for an E200 MMC (full size) and £250k for a standard E400 MMC. That would come with nowadays standard features, such as USB chargers and CCTV, but not the more upmarket features.

Status
Not open for further replies.