• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much track Does Network Rail lay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domeyhead

Hello - does Network Rail provide statistics of the mileage of track they replace or lay each year? I'm guessing the amount is quite high - certainly into 3 figures.
The reason for the question is a foolish local politician (is there any other kind?) who was citing the reopening of the branch from Totton to Hythe (Hants) as a way to keep Port Talbot open! Leaving aside that Port Talbot doesn't make rail, the single track distance is about 7 miles - probably a week's work for Scunthorpe!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
about 7 miles - probably a week's work for Scunthorpe!

I would have guessed more like a day's work for them...if that.

This
http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.u...tion-records/story-26541274-detail/story.html
says 238 000 T in a year, and apparently the standard current rail is 60kg/metre so I make it 3 966 666 metres, about 4000 km in round figures, 2000 km or 1240 miles of track. 3.4 miles of track rolled a day if it's all heavy rail section and I haven't scrambled the calculation..

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Hello - does Network Rail provide statistics of the mileage of track they replace or lay each year?
Network rail says that they purchase around 120,000 tonnes of rail a year.

If we assume that it's all UIC60 (some will be lighter, but we'll go with the worst case) that is some 2 000km, so something like 1 000 track km.

Assuming that it's used at a constant rate, that would be around 2.5km a day.

So your 7 mile stretch of track would keep the steelworkers busy for about four and a half days. Nine if it's double track.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
So presumably almost half Scunthorpe's output is exported (as I doubt if much of it goes to private UK railways). Some no boubt will go to NIR.

MarkyT

Established Member
So presumably almost half Scunthorpe's output is exported (as I doubt if much of it goes to private UK railways). Some no boubt will go to NIR.

A heritage railway I volunteer for recently purchased a truckload of new bullhead rail, which is rolled periodically in limited quantities for UK users including London Underground and Network Rail. Ours were 'seconds' and obtained at a healthy discount after rejection by NR. Although perfectly serviceable, they were rejected due to illegible stamping of date and manufacturer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why would Totton to Hythe even need relaying at all for passenger use?

It would be a passenger service over an existing route, not a full reopening.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Can some helpful person answer the same question for LUL? They must get through a fair amount too!

Domeyhead

Why would Totton to Hythe even need relaying at all for passenger use?

It would be a passenger service over an existing route, not a full reopening.

THe assumption in reopening estimates is that a full track replacement would be necessary for higher speed running but yes it would be a like for like replacement of the existing freight only single track with a passing place at Marchwood.
(In fact I am sure that the passenger line could be extended all the way to Fawley to attract Holbury, Blackfield and Langley customers now that stock has driver controlled doors but that is for another thread)!

MarkyT

Established Member
What do they use it for?

1. Spot plain line rail renewals in bullhead areas (where the sleepers are in good condition so don't also need replacing).

2. Manufacture of switch and crossing components for repair of bullhead junctions.

Quite a large track mileage remains bullhead, especially on LUL and in particular in the deep tube tunnels.

Lurpi

Hello - does Network Rail provide statistics of the mileage of track they replace or lay each year? I'm guessing the amount is quite high - certainly into 3 figures.

To come back to the original question, yes, NR does provide statistics, albeit in kilometres. The latest annual return for 2014-15 gives figures for track renewals under various headings (see page 133).

I'm not sure what all the headings mean (perhaps some of you can help), but assuming that all the headings under 'Plain Line' refer to actual replacement of rails, the total track kilometres of plain line replaced last year was 520 (323 miles). That's not including 'refurbishment' or high output work, since I'm not clear if that includes rail replacement. That work would add another 377 km and 326 km respectively.

Besides those, there were also 231 point ends that were 'fully renewed', as opposed to 'refurbished' or 'abandoned'.

Anyway, it's probably best if I just plonk all the figures up here for you to argue over. Here's a screenshot of page 133 of the annual return.

Image1.png

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
1. Spot plain line rail renewals in bullhead areas (where the sleepers are in good condition so don't also need replacing).

2. Manufacture of switch and crossing components for repair of bullhead junctions.

Quite a large track mileage remains bullhead, especially on LUL and in particular in the deep tube tunnels.

Network Rail also have a fair few miles of bullhead track, mostly in sidings, but quite a lot of running lines. And we have put a brand new bullhead lead in at Ilford ....

D869

Network Rail also have a fair few miles of bullhead track, mostly in sidings, but quite a lot of running lines. And we have put a brand new bullhead lead in at Ilford ....

Are cast iron chairs still made? NR sells old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.