• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often are GSM-R Entry signs used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieranhendy

How often are the GSM-R signs placed? Are these signs only used at the transition to other systems like CSR etc. or are they placed at regular intervals? Thanks!
1617394795364.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Google doesnt give many clues but which areas in the UK are not using GSMR these days? So far as I know CSR is not in use but could well be wrong!

kieranhendy

Google doesnt give many clues but which areas in the UK are not using GSMR these days? So far as I know CSR is not in use but could well be wrong!
That's what I was thinking - think someone mentioned to me a while ago that the Cambrian Line doesn't use GSM-R but not sure how accurate that is. What's throwing me off is that railsigns claims their useage is high but I dont think I've ever saw one in person.

SWTH

That's what I was thinking - think someone mentioned to me a while ago that the Cambrian Line doesn't use GSM-R but not sure how accurate that is. What's throwing me off is that railsigns claims their useage is high but I dont think I've ever saw one in person.
The Cambrian does use GSM-R - it’s an integral part of how ERTMS works.

XAM2175

Established Member
What's throwing me off is that railsigns claims their useage is high but I dont think I've ever saw one in person.
The main application for them now will be at transitions to RETB lines, a la:
The Far North and West Highland Lines.

In this photo of Helensburgh Upper station from 2018 you can see the GSM-R exit board near the down end of the platform:
5817020_37896208_1024x1024.jpg

The corresponding GSM-R entry board is located just in front of the colour-light signal at the up end of the platform.

asdirective

GSM-R was launched in the southern half of England before the rest of the UK followed at a later date. So there would have been plenty of transitions between radio systems on various lines in the Midlands at that time.

I would guess rail signs is saying the signs are in high use, due to the phased implementation of GSM-R at that time, and hasn't been updated since.

craigybagel

Established Member
The Cambrian does use GSM-R - it’s an integral part of how ERTMS works.
Indeed, the then Arriva Trains Wales 158s were the first units in the franchise to have GSM-R fitted for that very reason, and for several years the Cambrian was the only place on the franchise where GSM-R was used.

507 001

Established Member
There’s one on the connection between Metrolink and NR metals at Dean Lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.