• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often do you buy a newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

How often do you buy/read a newspaper nowadays especially when a lot of people just look online? I bought one for the first time in years today (I was wanting something to read to help the day pass me by)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wednesdays (National daily, this is the day it has a personal finance section in it), also Sundays and Mondays (the latter two being weekly sports newspapers concentrating on non league football and rugby league respectively). That's it.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Used to buy 1 or 2 a day for years, last year it stopped, realised the newspaper was unreliable, political spin, and that the puzzle section which is the best bit is too small. Now they are rarely bought by me.

I find it's much more fun to read The Beano instead.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Never bought one since the early 1980s. Decided there were more interesting things to read.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I might get a newspaper once in a blue moon, particularly if there's an exceptionally historic headline. If we win the Euros on Sunday, you can bet I'll be trying to pick up a newspaper on Monday morning just to collect one. But normally it isn't something I'd consider.

The one exception (though it's arguably more a magazine than a newspaper) is the Private Eye. You can't get it online, and it's usually an amusing read.

bspahh

Established Member
I get the FT and the i on delivered on a Saturday, and subscribe to Private Eye. I don't read the Guardian online very often, so I bought an online subscription for a relative.

I'm happy to pay for professional investigative journalism and not just clickbait and recycled press releases.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used to buy all the "heavy" Sunday newspapers (Sunday Times, Observer etc) but I haven't done so for many years now.

lxfe_mxtterz

I have zero interest in all the hyperbolic, biased mainstream media rubbish spewed out across most of the newspapers, so it's a resounding 'never' from me.

If, on the rare occasion a topic appears which genuinely interests me, then I'll just use the Internet to read about it, where at least it's free...

Most of the significant stories appear as threads on these forums, anyway. :D

Ostrich

I only pick up a paper when doing the weekly shop in our local Waitrose, as it's free if you spend over £10 and have a Waitrose Card.
We're also lucky enough to have a free fortnightly paper covering our area, and that's usually a good read (and handy reference point for local traders).
One thing I'm resolved not to do is buy an online subscription to a paper, even though that means I'm more or less reduced to the Beeb and the Daily Mail websites for "news" ...... :frown:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Never, other than very, very, very occasionally picking up the Metro on the bus.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I can't remember the last time i bought a newspaper, i used to get the Guardian now and then but stopped years ago. For a short time there was a local newspaper that came out on a friday and was really good (unlike the Birmingham Mail which i wouldn't even use as emergency toilet paper) but unfortunately it was short lived.

Senex

Established Member
Not for a good few years — too expensive for the amount of content I would actually want to read (especially when I'm compelled to pay the BBC £3 a week essentially just for news coverage). I routinely read the Guardian and the Mail on line and so see the Guardian's appeals for support. I like the journalism there and might be sympathetic to making some sort of contribution, but no way do I want to support their columnists' writings!

SteveM70

Established Member
Occasionally buy the Times on a Saturday, other than that just a subscription to Private Eye

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ve not bought a paper for years. I have online subscriptions to the Guardian and the Telegraph to cover both poles.

wireforever

Metro if I travel into town, Liverpool Echo for football match report day after game. Won’t buy Warrington Guardian anymore as the political bias is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I have literally never bought a newspaper. My parents still do, but since I moved out for uni 13 years ago I never have.
Why would I? Everything is online!

BanburyBlue

I don't know why anyone ever buys a newspaper. The press are a disgrace - they lie, they spin, make things up, stir up hatred. It worries me that some people actually believe what they read, and can be influenced by it.

jfollows

Established Member
I have an online subscription to The Times, which I read on an iPad using PressReader which I like because it looks like a newspaper. I once had a subscription to The Guardian. I had a print subscription to The Economist (weekly) since about 1980 but I decided not to renew it this year.

I can't remember when I bought a paper newspaper. Especially now my left arm is a bit affected by my stroke, I find large newspapers too cumbersome.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I buy the local weekly courier. I like to keep up to date with what's happening locally and the newspapers website is awful, so £1.05 a week isn't too bad a price to pay to be able to do that. Yes I could find it elsewhere online, but I'd be at it for ages everyday trying to keep up, so one weekly roundup is better.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The only reason I use newspaper these days is for lining the food waste caddy. Unfortunately the local weekly rag stopped producing its midweek freesheet, so I buy one every now and again - usually the thickest paper with the lowest price.

deltic

Established Member
Last paper I brought was the Washington Post when I was in the US a couple of years ago - but have subscriptions to the Financial Times, Economist and Private Eye

RuralRambler

Never, not for years. There's only the Mail and Guardian who can be considered to have any original journalistic content - the others just copy/paste what others have printed (a bit like the TV news channels). Unfortunately, both the Mail and Guardian are too politically biased to be of any use to me (as a genuine middle of the road type of person, politically wise) - all the useful stuff they do (investigative journalism etc) is ruined by their political spinning.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I buy the "I" Monday to Saturday and the Sunday Times or The Observer on a Sunday.
I think you and I (or 'i'!) are the only ones on here who carry on old habits and I suspect our combined age is well in excess of the combined IQ of the Cabinet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.