• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often do you buy a newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

My gran used to get two delivered a day her morning and evening paper. But she didn’t have internet or a TV so it was probably the only way of knowing what’s going on.

I bought a paper yesterday. I might do so again next time I’m in ASDA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Get the Times delivered on a subscription at weekends but maybe buy 3 times a week , we get a good local free newspaper to be fair.

As a child we used to get 2 daily newspapers , the evening one , and a range of "weeklies" like Titbits and so on. Newspapers featured very large in those days. I do wonder how some survive these days.

PeterY

Established Member
Never. Probably 30 years + since I brought one. I do get an old Sun newspaper from a customer occasionally, they're great for starting a fire in another customers incinerator :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
I think you and I (or 'i'!) are the only ones on here who carry on old habits and I suspect our combined age is well in excess of the combined IQ of the Cabinet. :)

Indeed !!!

How come you have not gone from Established to Veteran Member ?

I thought 10,000 posts qualified the new status or has it changed - I am just over the mark as well but have a dodgy disciplinary record :oops:

Established Member
I used to buy them for my Dad every day, but I haven't bothered since he passed away. I get all my news online.

The Ham

Established Member
I used to read the metro, and sometimes but a paper as it came with a bottle of water for less than buying the water.

However since changing jobs (so walk to work rather than going by train) I've not done so for over 3 years.

bspahh

Established Member
If you get your news online, are you using work from professional journalists? If so, who pays their wages?

The BBC is funded by the license fee, but is less independent from government influence than it used to be, and the license fee has not kept up with inflation.

If the journalists are paid by advertising, do you use an advert blocker on your WWW browser?

If income from advertising or subscription doesn't cover the costs, are your interests aligned with whoever is paying the bills? It its an billionaire oligarch, they might not.

If its an independent journalist, think about backing them by buying their books, attending events or backing them on Patreon.

alex397

Established Member
I haven’t bought a newspaper for years. I just get my news online usually from BBC News.
Newspapers, with very few exceptions, are far too biased. I’m not saying the BBC is perfect though.

I do also have a subscription to Private Eye, one of the few news sources I trust. Possibly the only publication I trust. It’s also great for satire.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I get the i most saturdays, solely for the big general knowledge crossword. It (or rather, the equivalent in The S*n) was a family routine growing up, which has been revived during lockdown. I'll flick through the rest of the paper, but that's all.

43021HST

Established Member
I've never bought a newspaper, but been thinking of getting a subscription to some sort of print media, it'll probably be the Private Eye and the New Statesman. I gave the Economist a go for a brief period ... what a load of crap, it really is the Alan Partridge of news magazines. (I was accosted by a particularly aggressive Economist salesman at Waterloo and I signed up to a free month to make him go away)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Be interesting to prepare a Venn diagram of how many folk on here (i) don't have or use a TV, and (ii) don't regularly, if ever, buy a newspaper, and see how much of an overlap there is. o_O

Kite159

Veteran Member
Used to buy the "I" a few years ago, but dropped it as it kept on increasing in price and I found myself reading less and less of it.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
For those of you saying you get the news online, anyone else using "Newsnow"? I find it's good for concise listings of news from many papers.

AngelRoad

Never. Used to read the free Metro when commuting but since retiring I get all my news online. Ive recently lapsed my subscription to The Guardian Online/App and taken one out with The Independent Daily (also online). I want to make my own decisions and form my own opinions free from leading by journalists grinding political axes, whether the Indy is good for this remains to be seen.

eoff

In the last 20 years my only newspaper purchases have been in airports where there was a special offer purchase of newspaper + bottle of water that was cheaper than the bottle on its own.

wireforever

Used to get a evening football paper many years ago on a Saturday contained all the football results and the football pools forecast so you could check your pools coupon.This must have been before live football on TV and all games were played at 3pm on Saturday

higthomas

I have a (cheap student) subscription to the times online, and read the guardian online as well (although without paying). We sometimes go to Waitrose as a treat, and I'll always pick up a free paper there.
Also get an evening standard or metro whenever I pass a box with them.

johncrossley

Established Member
The BBC is funded by the license fee, but is less independent from government influence than it used to be, and the license fee has not kept up with inflation.

Even if you have reservations about the BBC, there are plenty of other credible news providers, for example ITN, Sky News, Euronews, RTE, NOS, ARD etc.

bspahh

Established Member
Even if you have reservations about the BBC, there are plenty of other credible news providers, for example ITN, Sky News, Euronews, RTE, NOS, ARD etc.

I agree that you can access good quality journalism from places like that, and it helps to see an outsider's view. However, the UK will not be a prime focus for a foreign broadcaster.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed !!!

How come you have not gone from Established to Veteran Member ?

I thought 10,000 posts qualified the new status or has it changed - I am just over the mark as well but have a dodgy disciplinary record :oops:
It was the same for me at school. If you made the Scholarship Sixth form you were automatically made a sub-prefect, if you hadn't already 'achieved' that, but it never happened in my case! To say I couldn't care less wouldn't be true, I was dead chuffed as I wouldn't have to stay on after school. I might add that I never had a detention in seven and a half years there, the only one in my year who didn't. Always proudly been a contrarian. :)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Very occasionally I buy a copy of the Daily Star. Its almost become like the Daily Sport given the standard of the stories in there, but it is somewhat like a 'lads' newspaper.

Interestingly that the lads magazines like FHM, Zoo and Nuts were discontinued a few years ago, but I do think the Daily Star has similarities.

I don't necessarily buy the Daily Star for anything other than a light hearted read without taxing the brain too much.

CJ

Butts

Veteran Member
I've mentioned this before in other threads but an annoying aspect of Newspapers is that they no longer seem to "Hold the Front Page" for big events.

It's all the more remarkable as the technology affords instantaneous changes but I guess the reduced circulations don't warrant it.

I is guilty of this quite often with late kick off football matches ( In the Scottish Edition at least) not being featured.

I was in Belfast last Sunday and bought a Sunday Times which was the Irish Edition (Had RTE in TV Guide).

Amazingly the sports section contained no report on the previous nights England v Ukraine Euro Semi-Final.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think the England vs Denmark semi final last Wednesday evening must have resulted in the rolling of the printing presses having been slightly delayed given that it was an 8.00 p.m. KO and then the game went to extra time, but possibly an exception to the norm and maybe the first editions of Thursday's papers for the regions went out with alternative front and back pages.

Jimini

Established Member
Think the England vs Denmark semi final last Wednesday evening must have resulted in the rolling of the printing presses having been slightly delayed given that it was an 8.00 p.m. KO and then the game went to extra time, but possibly an exception to the norm and maybe the first editions of Thursday's papers for the regions went out with alternative front and back pages.

Yep, there was an additional 45 minutes added to the supply chain that night to capture the result.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yep, there was an additional 45 minutes added to the supply chain that night to capture the result.
Thanks for clarifying. I did wonder. Presumably well justified by the potential additional sales on the Thursday. :)

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for clarifying. I did wonder. Presumably well justified by the potential additional sales on the Thursday. :)

What about The Sunday Times in Ireland then - what is the cut off time ?

No report on the previous day's Ukraine Quarter Final last Sunday.

Welly

I still buy a daily paper Mondays - Saturdays; I gave up on Sunday papers about 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.