• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often do you buy a newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Usually a couple of times a week & always a local paper on a Friday. Working on the trains it’s normally easy to pick one up a passenger has left behind too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimini

Established Member
What about The Sunday Times in Ireland then - what is the cut off time ?

No report on the previous day's Ukraine Quarter Final last Sunday.

There was a 45 minute extension for that as well, but only in England, Scotland and Wales. Ireland's copy would have been off stone at ~2130 as usual.

GALLANTON

There's no point as alot of the stuff in newspapers these days is just crap they've copied from the internet anyway.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Be necessary to hold the back pages (and the front pages as well for that matter) again tonight!

Presumably for events such as a major sports final, the papers have two alternative "either/or" versions to go with at a moment's notice? :rolleyes:

Jimini

Established Member
Be necessary to hold the back pages (and the front pages as well for that matter) again tonight!

Presumably for events such as a major sports final, the papers have two alternative "either/or" versions to go with at a moment's notice? :rolleyes:

They do, as do all forms of reporting. The journos at the game have spent the entire time writing all permutations of the final result from 8pm onwards. Web based final reports have to be up pretty much as the final whistle goes. For print media, they’ll hold until the final result and then get it on press ASAP.

60 min hold on the presses tonight to capture the result across all publishers. Easy on a Sunday night though. Weekend editions are far more challenging.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I wonder how many fewer newspapers will be bought tomorrow compared with if we'd won the penalty shootout? I suspect many would have bought a paper just because of the headline and to mark what would have been such an iconic footballing moment.

Jimini

Established Member
I wonder how many fewer newspapers will be bought tomorrow compared with if we'd won the penalty shootout?

That’s all captured in the process as part of the overall print run sizes for most nationals (and indeed regionals too) ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
Will there be any Newspapers still being published in 20 Years time - or how long do people think they have got left ?

Annetts key

Established Member
I bought the Independent a handful of times when it originally launched. Occasionally in the past, if I happened to be in a shop and saw something interesting in a newspaper, or I had heard a story on the radio and wanted to know more. This was before the internet became popular.

I also occasionally bought newspapers for my parents when they asked me.

Nowadays, only the local weekly newspaper gets bought. I do pick up a copy of the Metro, as I travel by train. Occasionally if I travel on a London train, and a passenger has left one behind, I have a look through it.

My main source of news is watching the evening news on BBC1 and then switching over and watching Channel 4 News. Occasionally watching the TV news channels. Occasionally listening to Radio 4. And/or looking at reliable news websites.

dk1

Veteran Member
In Norwich there’s often a stall in the City Centre on a Saturday where the local EDP & Evening News newspapers can be purchased together for £2 including chocolate, water & crisps in a carrier bag. This is crazy value considering the EDP is £1.80 on that day alone.

Apart from that I am partial to The Mail on Sunday too.

nr758123

Guardian and Yorkshire Post, but not every day.

I gave up on the Huddersfield Daily Examiner a couple of years ago, when it had deteriorated into gossip about such well known Huddersfield folk as Piers Morgan and Meghan Markle, plus non-news items taken from the social media feeds of various minor celebrities with tenuous local connections. Occasionally the paper girl delivers the Examiner by mistake, which merely allows me to confirm that it's still celebrity trivia and very little else. Apparently this is a common business model for local newspapers, replicated in Cornwall, Hull, Leicester and various other localities which have been unfortunate enough to have their local newspapers acquired and destroyed by Reach plc.

Butts

Veteran Member
Having now read The Observer I can confirm it is not worth £3.50 !!

Back to The Sunday Times next week which contains far more content and was only £3 , unless it has gone up as well.

The Observer did not even have a report on the Hearts v Celtic game which was yesterdays top match in The SPL - said it was a late kick off !!

Jimini

Established Member
Having now read The Observer I can confirm it is not worth £3.50 !!

Back to The Sunday Times next week which contains far more content and was only £3 , unless it has gone up as well.

The Observer did not even have a report on the Hearts v Celtic game which was yesterdays top match in The SPL - said it was a late kick off !!

Now that Reach plc print Guardian News & Media products (has been the case for a few years now) they don't have the press capacity to hold for late results as they have to have the Scottish edition off stone nice and early due to operating on a single press configuration.

Sunday Times is still £3 aye. The Sunday Telegraph (my personal choice) is only £2.50.

Butts

Veteran Member
Now that Reach plc print Guardian News & Media products (has been the case for a few years now) they don't have the press capacity to hold for late results as they have to have the Scottish edition off stone nice and early due to operating on a single press configuration.

Sunday Times is still £3 aye. The Sunday Telegraph (my personal choice) is only £2.50.

The Observer does not even attempt to have a Scottish Edition, unlike The Sunday Times there is no specific "Local Content".

The Sunday Telegraph has no Weeks TV Guide, or at least it didn't last time I bought it.

Jimini

Established Member
The Observer does not even attempt to have a Scottish Edition, unlike The Sunday Times there is no specific "Local Content".

The Sunday Telegraph has no Weeks TV Guide, or at least it didn't last time I bought it.

Aye, the ST is printed @ Eurocentral and is a genuine Scottish edition (as is the Sun on Sunday -- both News UK titles with the relevant editorial teams and production resources).

The Obs does have a dedicated Scottish / Irish edition from a manufacturing perspective, although to the end user as you say you wouldn't notice.

The Sunday Tele doesn't have a dedicated TV section, correct.

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
Usually just Saturday to get a TV guide for the week and to do a couple of puzzles, so normally just pick up the Daily Mail or Sun both of which have decent, well laid out TV guides.

Used to read either The Times or Telegraph back in the pre internet days, but don't seem to have time nowadays. Will occasionally pick up a copy of The Times if I'm going into London to read on the train or if I've used Waitrose and get a free paper.

The Sunday Tele doesn't have a dedicated TV section, correct.

Going back a few years the Sunday Telegraph used to have an excellent TV guide - it was about the same size as the Highway Code, concise and well laid out. Pity they stopped that.

I used to like both The Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph but think both have gone downhill and the good, well written investigative articles such as The Sunday Times 'Insight' one's don't seem to exist now.

Last edited:

Grumpus63

I don't buy newspapers, certainly don't own a television, but manage to get what news and opinions I want through the internet. This offers alternatives to mainstream media. I am not ignorant to the fact that commentators on the internet can be as ill-informed as those on mainstream media but as least there are variations from the monotonous theme of "you MUST think this and you MUST think that. It also amuses me that the people who purport to "fight hate" are the ones who venomously hate certain public figures. The hypocrisy of modern life is astonishing.

Last edited:

BrokenSam

I buy Private Eye every fortnight. A week into it's latest issue. So I am always slightly behind the news. But it's fantastic.

Used to buy The i which is great. But found myself slightly put off by them being bought by The Daily Mail owners and before I noticed...I'd stopped. Still a quality paper though.

Last edited:

Meglos

I often treat myself to a Starbucks Coffee (or 2) if I'm out and about on a Sunday. In which case I will purchase a copy of the Sunday Times and read it whilst drinking my coffee's.

Other than that, if I'm travelling by train in the morning I will pick up a free copy of Metro from the station, but I never pick up the Evening Standard in the evening.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have been using buses when visiting Manchester city centre in the last few days, which is currently "tramless" in its inner core area and am rather amazed at the number of people who board the bus just so they can get a "Metro"...then disembark. Bit like a travelling newsagents.

ls2270

Established Member
I must be one of the few middle aged people never to have bought a newspaper in my life! They’re full of inaccurate sensationalist reporting and show business gossip, neither of which I have the slightest interest in. I don’t even bother picking up a copy of the Metro on the bus even though it’s free! I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw anyone reading a paid for newspaper, I’m very surprised that they are still printed!

Status
Not open for further replies.