• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often do you wear a mask when required to do so?

Do you wear a mask?

• Always

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Frequently

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Not At All

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Recent discussions has had me wondering, how many people on the forum wear a mask when they are out and about?

A piece of research on Statista from January had the following:

“How often have you worn a face mask outside your home to protect yourself or others from coronavirus (COVID-19)?”

• Always 66.4%
  • Frequently 14.4%
  • Sometimes 4.9%
  • Rarely 3.2%
  • Not at all 11.1%

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lachlan

Depends what you mean by "out and about". I always wear one when required to, as in, at work, on public transport, shops, etc. I don't wear one if I'm just walking outside.

bengley

Established Member
I now only wear one if visiting the doctor, or any other close contact service, like an eye test.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m no expert, but I’be travelled to most corners of the country in the last 12 months, and I have never seen 66.4% of people wearing a mask outdoors when they are “outside the home”, this seems a bit disproportionate to what is really happening out there.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Depends what you mean by "out and about". I always wear one when required to, as in, at work, on public transport, shops, etc. I don't wear one if I'm just walking outside.

Good point. I’ve edited the thread title to state “when required to do so”.

LancasterRed

Indoors and on busy pavements. The latter is more when people with noticeably poor hygiene walk past or when I simply forget to take it off. It's easy to do with a face covering rather than an actual mask.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Mainly wear one where required to do so to avoid hassle rather than because I think they actually make a difference. They cause irritation after ~30 min or so so for longer trips I tend to take it off for a bit.

Won't be wearing one after I've had the first jab, or after 21st June, whichever comes first (or the unlikely event of them being made optional before 21/6).

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Generally speaking I only wear a mask when I'm robbing banks and don't wish to be recognised on CCTV.

Ediswan

Established Member
A piece of research on Statista from January had the following:

“How often have you worn a face mask outside your home to protect yourself or others from coronavirus (COVID-19)?”
That was a weird way to pose the question. Some people are convinced that masks are no use at all*, but still always wear one when required by law. Should they answer "Always" or "Not at All". Your question for the poll is much more sensible.

* I am not trying to start that debate again.

kristiang85

Established Member
The Statista poll question is very leading indeed.

Basically, I don't like to risk causing a fuss so I wear a face covering in places I'm meant to. I use a bandana style one, which is a lot more comfortable and breathable, and not once in the UK have I been told off for it. So I just slip it up and down when I need to.

I voted 'frequently' as if I'm on my own in a train carriage or similar, I will take it down. That's just stupid when I'm alone.

And we've been selling our house recently, and despite what the agent advised us, we've not worn masks and told viewers they don't need to wear masks. Our house is a mask free zone.

Darandio

Established Member
Always wear one where required to do so. I will continue to do so until 21st June, after that if anywhere refuse me business for not wearing one then so be it.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Wear it when required, not when it isn't. Simple as that. I cba with the hassle of any other option as it has so little impact on my life currently.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Yeah I don’t think it’s worthy of starting a debate again - it’s been done. Rather I think it is interesting to get a snapshot of how folk on here use them.

Personally I do not like wearing a mask, but I wear one in shops and anywhere else it is required. Once it is no longer required, I won’t wear one.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I have voted rarely, not because I don't wear a face covering were I am required to, but I have used a mask only once. The rest of the time I wear a snood.

davews

There is no option 'I am exempt'. When you have hearing aids, glasses misting, and some breathing issues I only wear one when I might cause friction, ie Tesco. I voted 'sometimes'.

Silver Cobra

I always wear a mask/face covering wherever the law requires me to do so (on the train, in shops and while working). Once the law changes to no longer mandate the wearing of masks/face coverings, I will stop wearing them pretty much immediately.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We have had plenty of discussions about the pros and cons of mask wearing so we don't need another thread on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.