• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How popular are diesel galas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaymale

I have been to a fair number of steam galas and often found the trains overcrowded to the point of it being unpleasant on the popular lines on a weekend. Most were 3 or 4 day events and although more comfortable on a Thursday or Friday it was still busy. Getting a meal on the train at the weekend was almost impossible without making a number of round trips because of the demand and without getting a seat first it was obviously quite impractical for such as an all-day-breakfast.

I was surprised to find that there were so few people on the trains at the recent 2 day GCR Diesel Gala when I went on the Sunday. I always had a compartment or table (for 4) to myself, and in some cases a whole coach to myself for some of the time. There were four sets of coaches in use (and eight locos) which gave plenty of capacity. The waiting time for getting a cooked meal prepared on the train at lunchtime was zero.

I would say that there were few members of the general public (as opposed to obvious enthusiasts) compared with a typical weekend or a steam event. The weather wasn't as good as the Saturday (and turned to heavy rain later in the day) which may have had some impact. Had the weather been colder I wouldn't have gone as obviously there is rarely heating in the carriages (cf steam galas) as I discovered on one miserable cold diesel gala day a few years ago!

I know there was at least one other diesel gala (ELR) on the same weekend which may have reduced the number of enthusiasts at the GC. I don't know what the GC loadings were like on the Saturday and I've yet to speak to friends who went to ELR to compare notes.

Having been on trains hauled by most of the diesel classes when there were in BR service I've been to few of the diesel galas on the popular lines so have little to compare this latest one against.

I would assume that it is cheaper to put on a diesel gala than a steam one but how profitable are they overall?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

38Cto15E

IMHO Railways have to have a 'Star' turn for their diesel galas, whilst the Class 33 at the GCR gala was a very nice addition, the gala needed a Deltic, Class 50, Western or similar to attract enthusiasts, well me anyway.:) Also the weather was very poor, not good for window hangers.:)

KevinTurvey

I have found it to be a bit hit and miss as to how busy these events are, especially on the GCR for some reason.
I think it is a bad idea to plan events within 50/100 miles of each other that clash, and this may be indeed why, but there is also weather, football even to consider.

I have however seen some really big crowds at both the SVR and GWR diesel events, and of course on the ELR, which was busy on the weekend in question.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are a number of factors. I think the ELR Class 40 event was probably more popular that weekend so the GCR would have got less. As Gus has said it depends on the visiting locos as well to an extent. I don't think weather was an issue as last weekend the weather was alright.

reddragon

Established Member
IMHO Railways have to have a 'Star' turn for their diesel galas, whilst the Class 33 at the GCR gala was a very nice addition, the gala needed a Deltic, Class 50, Western or similar to attract enthusiasts, well me anyway.:) Also the weather was very poor, not good for window hangers.:)
*star* locos such as those are very costly to hire, so the additional cost isn't always covered by the extra revenue at a Gala. Smaller more common diesels are cheaper to hire & transport and bring extra revenue if a railway first.

satisnek

I have found it to be a bit hit and miss as to how busy these events are, especially on the GCR for some reason.
I think it is a bad idea to plan events within 50/100 miles of each other that clash, and this may be indeed why, but there is also weather, football even to consider.

I have however seen some really big crowds at both the SVR and GWR diesel events, and of course on the ELR, which was busy on the weekend in question.
Probably because the GCR, being in the middle of the country, is within 50/100 miles of a lot of lines :smile:

I would agree that that a Star Attraction BIG ENGINE does make a difference - and that applies to steam galas as well, which is why I thought that the SVR Autumn Steam Gala last year was a bit so-so. I too attended the GCR gala last weekend (on the Saturday) and have to admit that I did find it slightly underwhelming (even though I like Class 33s), but bear in mind that they have their main diesel gala in September.

trainmania100

Established Member
Diesel galas are incredibly popular. Nuff said.
Especially at the bluebell railway and spa valley.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I would agree that that a Star Attraction BIG ENGINE does make a difference - and that applies to steam galas as well ...
A star engine at a diesel gala is very different to one at a steam gala. Locos that bring in the punters at diesel galas are main line ones which have not worked a passenger train before.

I go to fewer diesel galas now than I used to but I would always go on a Sunday where possible as they were always pretty quiet, which is a bonus for passengers if not the railway.

Andrewh32

The recent diesel gala on the Nene valley railway wasn't very busy at all, indeed probably the least we'll supported I'd seen. In my view it lacked a star attraction and the attendance reflected that.

I have audited accounts for Heritage railways in my day job, by and large a diesel gala isn't that profitable, am told its about raising the profile of the line more than anything else.

What tends to make the profit are Santa specials, events for children (those that have a Thomas for example) & driver experience days.

Welly

My mate and I went to the one on the Chinnor and Princes Risborough last May when a 66, 50, 45, 31, 20, Bubblecar and a 17 were running. There were plenty of people on such a small line!

HOOVER29

People have gone on about the weather at the diesel gala at the GCR. Although I’ve no idea about the Sunday the Saturday was very pleasant & warm especially from midday onwards right through till gone 6pm. As for the visiting traction, ok it was only a 33 & the GCR already has one but 2 x 33 on at least 8 coaches is not often seen. The £20 I paid to get in was good value for money too.
Can’t think of many other places you can get a class 20,25,31,33,37,45 or 47 oh plus a steamer all for £20.
Always found the ELR too crowded which is why I didn’t bother. The same will apply to the gala at the SVR.

gazthomas

Established Member
I think there are possibly too many galas these days.

The GCR has a good home fleet but at present is “land locked” which means it won’t economically attract big, mainline certified diesels. Also I’m convinced there is a microclimate at the GCR that makes the weather more iffy than elsewhere!

The Nene Valley this time last year had great weather and great visitors including 50, 55 and 60 and it was really really busy.

Anyway, I think keeping to one big diesel gala each year at each line increases quality and desirability - look at Swanage as a prime example which is always busy.

I was at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough a few weeks ago and despite it being freezing off and on train, a hefty ticket price and very short running “siding” (for now) it was very busy due to new home local and a 33 from WCRC

I went to GC for the first time on the Saturday and enjoyed it and there was a decent number of people. Nene Valley the previous Sunday was still decent but not many people attended. I heard someone say at GC that they didn't go to Nene Valley because there was a 66 visiting and didn't think it was anything special, could that be a factor??

HullMichael

The NYMR did not have a diesel gala last year and is not having one this year. I can only assume this is for financial reasons, but the last one in 2016 was excellent with a visiting Deltic and immaculate Class 40 as star attractions. They've compensated diesel fans by having one or two diesel services in the regular timetable (home fleet of course). I've been to many steam galas and as others have said, they can be so busy as to be not much fun. The diesel gala was the one weekend in the year which was different to regular workings, so it was always the one I looked for first. If it doesn't make money though, a heritage organization can't afford the losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.