• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How should the Hayes & Harlington bay platform be utilised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
Seems a good space to tease an incremental extension to, of say, 2tph Paddington terminators, in time - if there is demand and paths could work. Maybe speed up an airport pair.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It is entirely reasonable to have infrastructure that is available to keep the service going in perturbation that doesn't need to be used for a timetabled service.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Seems a good space to tease an incremental extension to, of say, 2tph Paddington terminators, in time - if there is demand and paths could work. Maybe speed up an airport pair.
The GWML is full. In fact its likely the amount of service Crossrail want to run on the GWML is already too much for the GWML to deal with.

The GWML is genuinely one of the few routes post covid that will remain full.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Keep it spare in the event there is issues towards Heathrow (ie broken down train/fire alarm etc)

Wouldn't be the only bay platform on the network not to see regular booked use.

AviationFR

If the GWML is full then perhaps a new high speed route to say Bristol via certain major stops should be built to alleviate the pressure on the conventional line

cle

Established Member
I didn't really think this was worthy of its own new thread - but we will have to see how full the GWML becomes with Crossrail, and with everything from Padd extending to OOC in time. There is an absolutist stance on this, but the reliefs are not as full as the mains and we have to see the Crossrail impact and operation. Even now, they are tinkering with stopping patterns.

I would think some peaks extensions onwards from OOC to H&H could be done - new airport frequencies are appearing after all. Perhaps those aren't all needed and get cut back to this bay. Might be useful - that's all really.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Knock it through and use it as a loop? Doing that would also enable you to link through to the up relief Heathrow flyover line and you could then run shuttles between the platform and Heathrow to connect with the mainline Crossrail services, giving more capacity between Heathrow and the core.

Non Multi

Knock it through and use it as a loop? Doing that would also enable you to link through to the up relief Heathrow flyover line and you could then run shuttles between the platform and Heathrow to connect with the mainline Crossrail services, giving more capacity between Heathrow and the core.
I recall that conversion to a loop was proposed as an idea in the early days of the current XR scheme, but shelved due to cost.

andreading

Turn it into a loop with cross platform interchange between east and west bound for Reading line and Heathrow interchange and save £500m on WRATH.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I would think some peaks extensions onwards from OOC to H&H could be done - new airport frequencies are appearing after all. Perhaps those aren't all needed and get cut back to this bay. Might be useful - that's all really.
I concede that new flats are being built at various places between Ealing and West Drayton but the route has never been the busiest for commuting. I doubt that services to Hayes & Harlington bay are needed in the short term. Longer term may be more interesting if the corridor were to see more commuting in the future.

cle

Established Member
I agree - but it had ****ty 2 car turbos and low frequencies for years.

It is already much busier, and happening with the new apartments all along that corridor coming online, but within months - it will ostensibly on a very fast, roomy tube line - directly through the core of London. I think it will see HUGE change as a corridor. Into London, out from - Heathrow interchange and later, OOC interchange. And tons more development accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.