• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How To become a Train Driver Platinum Package 60.00 quid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

There are lots of people who get the job without the aid of that DVD, and they'll be lots of people who still fail to get the job despite buying that DVD.

It's pretty fair to say most, if not all of the information on that DVD is probably available on the internet.

It's your money, and therefore your choice.

Last edited:

Louby

thanks for that, im wary over buying it but wanted to practice the physiometrics tests, but ill have a browse round see what i can find
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
thanks for that i was dubious over buying it, ill have a mooch on the net x

GadgetMan

thanks for that, im wary over buying it but wanted to practice the physiometrics tests, but ill have a browse round see what i can find
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
thanks for that i was dubious over buying it, ill have a mooch on the net x

The other thing to note is the package only seems to include access to their online tests for a month, after which you have to pay £4.95 a month.

If you pass the application stage, most TOCs will send you practice material to give you some idea of what the tests will involve.

Louby

i had noticed and have visions of not stopping payments!!, just want t a good book to read up on

LCC106

Established Member
Search the railway jobs and careers forum for "spatial" and the December / Jan / Feb threads list names of useful practise books that MAY be a better investment. As GadgetMan says, it's your money and your choice...

Tubeboy

I bought the black taxi version of this product. I found it sub standard. Once you open the DVD case, you can't get a refund. It's shrink wrapped by the way. Gadget man is right, you are better off googling for a couple of hours.

Beveridges

Established Member
Depends how desperate you are for a Driving job, it will definetely help, but nothing will 100% guarantee a job in the end, and a lot of it is luck! Especially the app forms and final line manager interview. This not only goes for Driving but getting any job on the railway.
I bought the cheap original How2Become DVD for £14, it helps get through some of the stages, but its not enough to guarantee anything, the platinum package looks a lot more in depth and probably helps a lot more. I wish I had this package available from the start as I've failed so many Interviews its unbelievable, but its not much use to me now, as I've already passed the tests a couple of times, and done so many Interviews, theres probably not a lot more I could learn about the process, and I'm in no rush to make the move.

Last edited:

Louby

im ok with interviews and application forms ( mine passed with Northern), its the tests i want to practice on

cx152

I think it would be more beneficial to just learn the rule book. If you get the job you'll send the next 6 months being force fed the rule book until you're sick of it anyway so might as well make a head start.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I think it would be more beneficial to just learn the rule book. If you get the job you'll send the next 6 months being force fed the rule book until you're sick of it anyway so might as well make a head start.

Personally I think the rule book is best left until the rules instructor takes you through it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

myboysam

Personally............. NO!!!

There are a lot of good books out there and it just takes a bit of time on the internet or at the library to find them. I think these how to become books seem to give false hope that if I buy it I have more chance than anyone else which I dont think is right.

Take the time and study. If you are the right person then you will get the job.

There is a saying up here

What's for you won't go by you.

Beveridges

Established Member
I definetley wouldn't learn the rulebook, that would be a huge amount of time wasted if you didn't get a job out of it

LCC106

Established Member
We've been explicitly told not to learn the rule book until we cover the subjects, as these will give context and be a lot less baffling. I'd invest my time practising if I were you.

Louby

thanks, got one last query, I passed my application with northern for manchester vic but failed the DSI, but i still have an application on for blackpool, im presuming it should be an instant fail but they havent got back to me yet, anyone else in the same situation????

cx152

I only mentioned the rule book from personal experience to give yourself a head start. It might take up some time but it cant hurt to learn the reasons to pass signals at danger, wrong direction movements etc
Although if you dont get the job it is time wasted

seiryuu

I bought the fire brigade package of this before. The DVD had good information but they had signed me up to some 'alert' service for fire brigade recruitment for £5 a month. I wasn't aware of it and the only way to stop it is by emailing them directly as its from your card details and not direct debit.

jscho84233

I bought the fire brigade package of this before. The DVD had good information but they had signed me up to some 'alert' service for fire brigade recruitment for £5 a month. I wasn't aware of it and the only way to stop it is by emailing them directly as its from your card details and not direct debit.

Yes, they have a similar thing when you buy the train driver one as well. They sign you up for an "Online Testing Suite" at a few quid a month, first month being free. It's basically a reproduction of the tests that are in the books, so really not worth keeping the subscription. They sign you up automatically, there's no option to opt out of it. I'm sure that's against some rule or other, but hey ho. I forgot to cancel, but thankfully my card expired before the next payment!

Status
Not open for further replies.