• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to become a train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

luca_b

Hi everyone. I am Luca, I am Italian and I apologize for my bad English.
At working level, my dream is to become a train driver. Unfortunately in Italy at the moment is almost impossible to realize this dream, because companies only hire people already formed. Here there are 3 (maybe 4) schools for the training, but they cost thousands and thousands of euros, and this is impossible for normal people like me.
I would ask you how is the situation in England about the possibility of becoming train drivers.
I thought to England because I lived there for a while and I liked it. In order to realize this ambition I would be also available to move to England. I do not know how else to do. I hope you can help me.
Many many thanks in advance. :)

Luca

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adam0

Hi everyone. I am Luca, I am Italian and I apologize for my bad English.
At working level, my dream is to become a train driver. Unfortunately in Italy at the moment is almost impossible to realize this dream, because companies only hire people already formed. Here there are 3 (maybe 4) schools for the training, but they cost thousands and thousands of euros, and this is impossible for normal people like me.
I would ask you how is the situation in England about the possibility of becoming train drivers.
I thought to England because I lived there for a while and I liked it. In order to realize this ambition I would be also available to move to England. I do not know how else to do. I hope you can help me.
Many many thanks in advance. :)

Luca

Hi Luca,
Firstly, welcome to the site.
Currently the only way to become a train driver is through a Train operating company. You cannot get training any other way. This means securing a job as a trainee, unfortunately this job role in the uk is very hard to come by due to the amount of applicants for each position. It is common that there will be over 1000 applicants per position. I think you would need to live in the uk before you would be considered. Dont give up if you first fail, but do understand, you only get 3 attempts.

If you do get the opportunity then you will find the process very demanding and challenging. If you did actually secure a position, you would find yourself in a very good, well paid rewarding job.

good luck.

Last edited:

luca_b

Thanks a lot adam0.
I'm sorry to hear that it is very difficult even in the UK.. :(
So I have to look for the various rail companies visiting the careers section of each web site, or is there a single portal? In every web site you have a max of 3 attemps?

I read on the internet about the possibility of first applying for another job (for example a job as assistant station) in the London Tube, and then becoming a train driver would be easier. What do you think about it?

Many thanks again.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Thanks a lot adam0.
I'm sorry to hear that it is very difficult even in the UK.. :(
So I have to look for the various rail companies visiting the careers section of each web site, or is there a single portal? In every web site you have a max of 3 attemps?
Not quite right. You have 2 attempts to pass the assessments. You can apply to a company as many times as you like. You will need to check the website of each TOC though, yes.
I read on the internet about the possibility of first applying for another job (for example a job as assistant station) in the London Tube, and then becoming a train driver would be easier. What do you think about it?
In theory, there is nothing to stop you getting a train driver straight off the street. But i think in your situation (deopendant on your work experience in Italy) you may be more likely to be successful if already working at a TOC.

You would already have all your residency/work issues sorted out and would be living here and presumably more fluent in English and would of course already have industry experience so I think you would stand a better chance. At my TOC we have drivers from all over the world although there are several from eastern Europe particularly. All but two of the drivers from other countries I know of (maybe 20+) were already on the railway. The two that weren't are well educated and had long backgrounds in aviation. Read in to that what you will! :lol:

As for the London Underground, it is a different setup to National Rail (you can't be a driver on one and transfer to the other as a qualified driver for example) although any safety critical rail experience would no doubt help when employing for a driver position.

luca_b

Not quite right. You have 2 attempts to pass the assessments. You can apply to a company as many times as you like. You will need to check the website of each TOC though, yes.
Thanks, I think I understand.

In theory, there is nothing to stop you getting a train driver straight off the street. But i think in your situation (deopendant on your work experience in Italy) you may be more likely to be successful if already working at a TOC.

You would already have all your residency/work issues sorted out and would be living here and presumably more fluent in English and would of course already have industry experience so I think you would stand a better chance. At my TOC we have drivers from all over the world although there are several from eastern Europe particularly. All but two of the drivers from other countries I know of (maybe 20+) were already on the railway. The two that weren't are well educated and had long backgrounds in aviation. Read in to that what you will! :lol:
So the way would be to find a whatever job in a rail company. What jobs are easier to find?

As for the London Underground, it is a different setup to National Rail (you can't be a driver on one and transfer to the other as a qtualified driver for example) although any safety critical rail experience would no doubt help when employing for a driver position.
Do you think it is easier to get a job at The London Underground (hoping to become a tube driver one day) or at Railway? When I go to London I usually see people of every nationality and age working at the stations, and this make me think (maybe wrongly) that it could be easier to find a job...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.