• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to build complex loops etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class15

On Moderation
Dear all,

What is the best way to build complicated track layouts without track lengths not fitting together?

Many thanks,

Class15

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Lots of flexitrack, measuring and dry fitting before you commit to anything

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lots of flexitrack, measuring and dry fitting before you commit to anything

Something that I hadn’t realised about flexitrack until recently (and I feel a little embarrassed that I didn’t) is that there’s more cuts under the rails on one side than there is on the other.
Meaning that if you curve it on that side it doesn’t spring back.

It’s just me that didn’t know this isn’t it..?

Established Member
Something that I hadn’t realised about flexitrack until recently (and I feel a little embarrassed that I didn’t) is that there’s more cuts under the rails on one side than there is on the other.
Meaning that if you curve it on that side it doesn’t spring back.

It’s just me that didn’t know this isn’t it..?
I always thought it was equal on each side!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always find that, if left in a shape for a long amounted time, it can be hard to change it.

Yes definitely.
Going back to what @TheEdge said. I find that a good mini cutting disc (please wear goggles) on a Dremel type tool works well for cutting through the track cleanly.
Then just cut back the sleepers a little so that the fishplates slide on.

The nice thing about flexi is that you can bend it back a bit to give you the room to get the last bits in place. :)

Class15

On Moderation
Yes definitely.
Going back to what @TheEdge said. I find that a good mini cutting disc (please wear goggles) on a Dremel type tool works well for cutting through the track cleanly.
Then just cut back the sleepers a little so that the fishplates slide on.

The nice thing about flexi is that you can bend it back a bit to give you the room to get the last bits in place. :)
Thanks very much!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks very much!

I don’t know what your skill level is @Class15 but if there’s anything you ever need help with then please do ask.
I think we all enjoy working out modelling problems between ourselves in this section and that’s part of the fun of it.

(If Carlsberg had a least reported area of the forum. It would probably be this one…)

Class15

On Moderation
I don’t know what your skill level is @Class15 but if there’s anything you ever need help with then please do ask.
I think we all enjoy working out modelling problems between ourselves in this section and that’s part of the fun of it.

(If Carlsberg had a least reported area of the forum. It would probably be this one…)
Skill level=bad :lol:

I will, thanks!

Peter C

Established Member
This is probably a bit late now - and maybe not even that useful, so apologies - but I've found that a small pair of wire cutters (I think that's what they're for - I'm absolutely awful with tools and that sort of thing) is good for cutting the rails (and the ties between the sleepers underneath).
A few years ago I got this kit from Amazon (well it's not quite the same one, but it'll work for this demonstration) - it's got the wire cutter bits (actually they might be designed for cutting lengths of solder but they're good for cutting the thin wires used in a lot of model railway applications). Here's what they look like (photo from that linked listing):
1654002098149.png

I hope that's somewhat useful!

-Peter

Class15

On Moderation
This is probably a bit late now - and maybe not even that useful, so apologies - but I've found that a small pair of wire cutters (I think that's what they're for - I'm absolutely awful with tools and that sort of thing) is good for cutting the rails (and the ties between the sleepers underneath).
A few years ago I got this kit from Amazon (well it's not quite the same one, but it'll work for this demonstration) - it's got the wire cutter bits (actually they might be designed for cutting lengths of solder but they're good for cutting the thin wires used in a lot of model railway applications). Here's what they look like (photo from that linked listing):
View attachment 115474

I hope that's somewhat useful!

-Peter
That is useful, thanks!

Class15

Status
Not open for further replies.