• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to (effectively) get an off-peak return Hemel - Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
This is one of the banes of my life - my parents live in Hemel Hempstead, and I have to visit them frequently (once every two weeks or sooner - they're very ill and won't be around for much longer). Anyway, the flow Euston - Hemel has no off-peak return. So coming from Liverpool, I face paying for two singles, which is a rip-off.

What other combinations could I get to achieve this? I thought of two singles Hemel - Apsley, Apsley - Hemel, to get me through the barriers, and then one of the cheap tickets from up the Trent Valley (with no break-of-journey) once I'm on the train?

Any ideas from you ticket maestros?

Cheers in advance for thoughts!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm a bit confused by this.... I thought he was moving to London soon too... but both London and Liverpool have Off Peak Returns to HML.

the flow Euston - Hemel has no off-peak return
It does according to Avantix, £14.60 from EUS.

There are also Advance fares from Liverpool to Hemel Hempstead, so should be plenty of choice for you.

David.

Pumbaa

Established Member
@ yorkie; thanks for bringing the HML - EUS SVR to my attention. It must have been introduced recently, as I have never been able to purchase one before now. Makes things a lot easier!

@collybs; @London_Midland; thank you both - I used to use the LM Only tickets between LIV and HML. I don't now, as the majority of the travelling was at weekends which meant three things - 1) Sundays have a 2 hourly TV service, 2) the connections at Stafford are absolute pants, meaning that if the train up the Trent Valley is 3 minutes late (actually on time, but they tended to arrive early; its timetabled to arrive just as the Liv service is pulling out), you have to wait a whole hour before the next Liv train, 3) I like to work on the train, and LM just couldn't be trusted with sending a /1 out instead of a /2. Now I prefer to spend a little more and travel by Virgin in the sure knowledge I can work on the train.

Established Member
@ yorkie; thanks for bringing the HML - EUS SVR to my attention. It must have been introduced recently, as I have never been able to purchase one before now. Makes things a lot easier!

It used to be the Network Awaybreak, which had different restrictions, and was, of course, far far cheaper at barely more than CDR which itself has basically been raped in the last decade. Far too customer friendly to retain obviously, although its been a SVR (from Leighton anyway) for probably five years now.

If the timing works out then a super off peak return to Nuneaton is cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.