• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to find timings of excursions using Realtime trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

Could anyone help me with this !
A couple of days ago SamGeorge helped me out with the timings for the York Yuletide Express with a link to its schedule on Realtime Trains.
There area few other steam tours coming up the ECML in the next week or so and I thought I`d try and find the timings for them myself on RTT. However, I must be doing something wrong because whatever I seem to do the system brings up all the scheduled services but not the excursions I`m interested in. Does anyone know what I`m doing wrong ? ! ?

Added 18 Dec 15.

You have to switch to Real Time Trains "Detailed" to get the excursions (and the freights), they`re not shown on the "Simple" results.

Added 7 Dec 16

Also try Open Train Times.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Not really, as we don't know what you're doing!

Can you tell us what trains specifically you are looking for, and what you are typing into Realtime Trains to find them? :)

Some excursions do not get entered until fairly soon before the day, but next week's should show up...

ilkestonian

I read somewhere that there seems to be a problem with some excursions not showing up on Realtime Trains, or perhaps not showing until the last minute?

Possibly an issue with STP paths?

So it may not be you but an issue with RTT.

Justin Smith

Not really, as we don't know what you're doing!

Can you tell us what trains specifically you are looking for, and what you are typing into Realtime Trains to find them? :)

Some excursions do not get entered until fairly soon before the day, but next week's should show up...

Thanks.
SamGeorge has contacted me to tell me that none of the other three Railway Touring Company tours are on RTTs, so it`s no wonder I couldn`t find them.
Yet yesterdays Yuletide Express (also RTC) was on RTT, so it`s a strange one.
Apparently the tours are on OpenTrainTimes.com

44871 moved from Bury to York and then Grosmont last week. The times were not on RTT but they were on OTT.......strange.

Justin Smith

I`m trying to find the times for tomorrow`s York Yuletide Express (London Victoria > Kettering > Melton M > York) but can`t find them on RTT. I`ve tried Open Train Times but my PC, not for the first time, won`t load the train times. On Internet Explorer the green "loading" bar moves extremely slowly before just freezing. On Chrome it reports "this page has a redirect loop" and "Err-too-many-redirects". Has anyone got any ideas, both on the timing of the YYE and the non working of OpenTrainTimes ? ! ?

Justin Smith

Thanks very much for that.

I think I just realised why RTT wasn`t bringing up the YYE. When I got to results you have to switch to "Detailed". On the default "Simple" there`s no departure shown between the 08.14 to Sutton and the 08.18 to Three Bridges ! The YYE leaves at 08.15.

Interestingly the Railway Touring Company website quotes :

After Chesterfield we take the old road to Rotherham and continue through Conisbrough to Doncaster. Here we join the East Coast Main Line and can expect a fast run to York, where we arrive in the early afternoon.

But RTT says it`s going via the Swinton & Knottingley (i.e. through Moorthorpe) !

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks very much for that.

I think I just realised why RTT wasn't bringing up the YYE. When I got to results you have to switch to "Detailed". On the default "Simple" there's no departure shown between the 08.14 to Sutton and the 08.18 to Three Bridges ! The YYE leaves at 08.15.

Interestingly the Railway Touring Company website quotes :

After Chesterfield we take the old road to Rotherham and continue through Conisbrough to Doncaster. Here we join the East Coast Main Line and can expect a fast run to York, where we arrive in the early afternoon.

But RTT says it's going via the Swinton & Knottingley (i.e. through Moorthorpe) !

yes: you need to switch to detailed setting to pick up freight and non passenger workings.

NR might not have been able to offer the path requested by the charter operator. The one used seems to be the standard routing for charters now as it is much quieter

Status
Not open for further replies.