• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to flag a train down at a request stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis97

Established Member
Request stops do not have dwell times so therefore as an example from Holyhead to Llandudno Junction you have 8 request stops, the dwell time including stopping and dispatch is about a minute all told so therefore the TOC saves 8 minutes track access fees. You do have dwell times at stations to compensate.

This isn't a standard for all request stops, there are many request stops in Devon and Cornwall where 1/2 minute dwell time has to be allowed. Ultimately it depends entirely on the location and therefore the planning rules set - which stipulate how much dwell time to give.

In North Wales where stations have no dwell time, the timings are for the time the train stops and then starts off again, therefore if dwell times were allowed which would most likely be 1/2 minute, the saving in track access fees would only be 4 minutes, not 8. (1 minute dwell for a request stop would be too much - especially as if you then don't stop you could end up early at the next request stop and then if you don't stop there early at the one after, this being the reason for Public/WTT differentials at request stops.)

Ultimately however the journey time will allow enough time to have stopped at all of the request stops, through various allowances.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Off the top of my head there is Newtondale Halt on the NYMR and Norden on the Swanage line :)

I hope the train would stop at Norden as that's where the trains currently end/start :)

Herston Halt is the one request stop at the moment on the SR.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It seems over the years, as with Avoncliff and Freshford, we've had request stops turn into full stops, but I wonder what the newest station to become a request stop is?

My bet is Conwy, having reopened in 1987 after being closed for over 20 years.

Beauly and Conon Bridge on the Far North Line...

Burnley Barracks, Hapton, Huncoat and Pleasington became request stops in May 2012.

initiation

Perranwell on the Falmouth branch line is a request, I just use an out stretched arm.

On the times on the way back when no staff appeared prior to the station the train has always just stopped. Saying that it is very rare on the journeys I've been on that the train doesn't stop and atleast one or two people don't get on/off.

Worst was a bus replacement where staff (who I had told and they informed me to get on) hadn't told the driver (from a private bus company) and he sailed straight past the turning for the station. His rather rude response was that I could get out and walk the mile there if I wanted!:roll:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My preference is to stand at the nearest end of the platform to the train and wave with both arms before walking towards the middle of the platform.

Only time I have done it (Altnabreac at 6 in the morning!) I stood on the platform with my arm out like for a bus. It worked, fortunately :)

TDK

Established Member
What happens on the rare occasion when someone wishes to join or alight at all the of 8 stops. Does the TOC pay for the extra time they would have spent on the track?

Snowdon YHA is request stop on the preserved Welsh Highland railway. There must be other request stops on preserved railways.

I take it all services with request stops are not DOO.

The TOC take the delay
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I forget which station but Michael Portillo was at a request stop, on his tv show, and did a sort of slow OTT wave. Though with his liking for bright jackets the driver was never going to miss him:D

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Parallel

Established Member
Why did avoncliff stop being a request stop?

I read somewhere that it was probably to do with the signal at the end of the platform. The guard gives two buzzes if the train doesn't need to stop (driver obviously concentrating on this), train passes platform, then passes signal at danger. Not sure if this was the main reason, but I imagine it probably did happen once or twice.

Basically, it was like a request stop that had to be stopped at on some occasion anyway, owing to the signal, even if nobody wanted to alight/join.

Also, its usage has increased in recent years, though FGW do operate other stations that have higher passenger usage as request stops.

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Burnley Barracks, Hapton, Huncoat and Pleasington became request stops in May 2012...

...and Huncoat ceased to be a request stop in December 2012, thereby possibly claiming the record both for most recent conversion to request stop and shortest-lived request stop. :D

Incidentally, Pleasington was the request stop where Dom Portillo was filmed. I seem to remember that, whilst he waited, he had a short conversation with a passenger on the opposite platform in which he asked her advice on how to stop the train. Even the Great and the Good aren't sure! :lol:

Waldgrun

I seem to believe that a very good way to flag a train down is to place on the end of a large stick, a red flannel petticoat, and wave it across your body!:D

dave_wm

Snowdon YHA is request stop on the preserved Welsh Highland railway. There must be other request stops on preserved railways.

On the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland we have rather a lot...

Bontnewydd, Dinas (though 99% of trains will stop), Tryfan Junction, Plas-y-Nant, Snowdon Ranger, Meillionen, Nantmor, Pont Croesor (again, 99% of trains will stop), Boston Lodge Halt, Penrhyn, Plas Halt, Dduallt and Tanygrisiau.

Dinas, Pont Croesor and Tanygrisiau are token stations, so trains stop unless there is someone there (normally another train!) to exchange tokens.

We also have two private halts, at Coed-y-Bleddiau and Campbell's Platform.

Certainly enough to keep guards on their toes!

What are the requests stops in England?

Dilton Marsh
Sandplace
Causeland
St keyne
Coombe Junction (?)
Chetnole
Thornford
Yetminster

Add Shippea Hill and Lakenheath
I think the other two closed stations along the line Eccles Road and Harling Road are requests as well

I'm glad that the one arm out hailing a bus gesture is considered correct. Feel such a tool doing it at those request stops I've used - Bucknell, Prees and Morfa Mawddach.

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Add Shippea Hill and Lakenheath
I think the other two closed stations along the line Eccles Road and Harling Road are requests as well
Not for EMT they aren't, EMT don't operate any request stops.

TheEdge

Established Member

Eccles and Harling have a fairly sparse service but are not request stop. Spooner Row, Lakenheath and Shippea Hill are they only request stops on the Breckland Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.