• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to get to a NW rover area from Sheffield ? ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

I`m thinking of getting a NW railrover on June, the problem is I live in Sheffield !
Does anyone know the cheapest way to get to the NW rover area from Sheff, preferably giving me a bit of flexibility ?
I thought about getting another railrover at the same time, either a NE or a Coasts and Peaks.
However, quite apart from the expense, the NE one will only let me use Leeds which is a long way round to go to get to Manchester if I need to change there.
On the other hand on the C&P I would have to go via Manchester every day (even if wanting to go up the S&C), and it`s a 4 in 8 day, so I`d have to get 2 !
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Your NW Rover is not valid until 0845 Mondays-Fridays.

I think if I didn't want to stay away overnight, I'd get the 0736 from Sheffield to Huddersfield, arriving 0849, and then start your Rover from there.

Huddersfield would give you flexibility - you could either then go into the Leeds, Manchester or Bradford directions.

Of course, you'd have to return via Huddersfield each day, but with last trains to Sheffield at 2118 and 2218, that should give you quite long days to go anywhere else in the meanwhile.

Sheffield-Huddersfield return without any railcard, is £11.30p. Four of those for each day of your Rover would certainly be cheaper than staying overnight!

Justin Smith

Your NW Rover is not valid until 0845 Mondays-Fridays.

I think if I didn't want to stay away overnight, I'd get the 0736 from Sheffield to Huddersfield, arriving 0849, and then start your Rover from there.

Huddersfield would give you flexibility - you could either then go into the Leeds, Manchester or Bradford directions.

Of course, you'd have to return via Huddersfield each day, but with last trains to Sheffield at 2118 and 2218, that should give you quite long days to go anywhere else in the meanwhile.

Sheffield-Huddersfield return without any railcard, is £11.30p. Four of those for each day of your Rover would certainly be cheaper than staying overnight!

Thanks for that. You`re right about Huddersfield giving access to both Leeds and Manchester, the only problem being that the journey from H/F to Sheff stops at every station and takes an absolute age !

Does anyone know if there`s a weekly season ticket available still (because I`m getting a week Rover) ?

headshot119

Established Member
Thanks for that. You're right about Huddersfield giving access to both Leeds and Manchester, the only problem being that the journey from H/F to Sheff stops at every station and takes an absolute age !

Does anyone know if there's a weekly season ticket available still (because I'm getting a week Rover) ?

Season Tickets for Sheffield (SHF) - Huddersfield (HUD)

7DS Not Via Leeds £49.30
7DS Route Any Permitted £58.20
7DF Route Any Permitted £98.90

Hope that helps.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It saves a bit to buy two separate weekly seasons:
Sheffield - Denby Dale £23.40
Denby Dale - Huddersfield £18.50

Total £41.90, or £6 per day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Season Tickets for Sheffield (SHF) - Huddersfield (HUD)

7DS Not Via Leeds £49.30
7DS Route Any Permitted £58.20
7DF Route Any Permitted £98.90

Hope that helps.
Or, for a little less:-

Dore/Dronfield - Cottingley
7DS Route Any Permitted £54.30

valid via Leeds (via Barnsley or via Bolton on Dearn or via Doncaster)
valid via Huddersfield

(Dore or Dronfield are both the same price as Sheffield)

Not really great value though, I can get a season for a similar price, in fact a bit less at £50.20 that allows most routes bounded by the area: York-Huddersfield-Leeds-Wakefield-Swinton-Doncaster-Selby-York (not that this helps the OP; just a value for money observation)

Justin Smith

I'm remembering why it's 12 years since I've been on a NW Rover !

Basically if you have to come back to Sheff via Leeds (or Huddersfield) every day that severely limits which routes you can take. There aren't many trains from Leeds to Lancaster, or for that matter up the S&C, and they take quite a while to travel to/from Leeds as well.
On the other hand going via Manchester every day means you'd never use the S&C or the Skipton/Lancaster, not to actually get anywhere anyway, as opposed to traveling the route just to travel the route. That would be a perfectly sound reason for using the lines but I've already travelled both those routes dozens of times !
Lastly, if you either get a season or buy returns on the day, you can't go out via Manchester and back via Leeds/Huddersfield (or vice verse), and, let's face it, being able to do such round robin routes, or just changing your mind and going somewhere else half way through the day, is half the fun of Rovering !

Incidentally, when did they stop selling London Midland railrovers ? I remember when you could get the all line rover, a LM rover, an Eastern region rover, a Southern rover, a Western rover and a Scottish rover !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.