• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to identify ticket checkers on London buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

I had my contactless payment card checked on a London bus today and I wondered whether the ticket checker was genuine. It wasn't clear if she was wearing a uniform under her dark jacket but the black shoes seemed to match what I had seen before on TFL staff.

How can I be sure for next time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

Ask for ID before you allow your card to be scanned. For all you know the person, if not genuine, could be using a contactless payment device to scrape a payment of up to £30 from you.

Bwsbro

I had my contactless payment card checked on a London bus today and I wondered whether the ticket checker was genuine. It wasn't clear if she was wearing a uniform under her dark jacket but the black shoes seemed to match what I had seen before on TFL staff.

How can I be sure for next time?

All official TFL staff have ID on them when inspecting. You have the right to ask to see the ID Before showing your oyster/contactless card

Also if your downstairs. You can normally spot them interacting with the driver when they board, downloading the ticket information from the ticket machines

They do seem to be targeting routes operated by the new Routemasters at the moment. A lot of fare dodging can be seen on these vehicles

Last edited:

AnkleBoots

She was displaying some kind of ID on her coat but it was faded and I couldn't really see it properly. What should the ID look like?

Steelwheels

The ID should clearly state that it is a TFL Revenue Officer and an announcement should be made to the travelling public that a ticket check is about to commence asking passengers to produce valid tickets and passes for inspection.

Most important is the fact that the Revenue Officer is in plain clothes clearly displays their ID.;)

AnkleBoots

The ID should clearly state that it is a TFL Revenue Officer and an announcement should be made to the travelling public that a ticket check is about to commence asking passengers to produce valid tickets and passes for inspection.
Tannoy announcement?

I believe I saw the word Community on the ID but not the word Revenue

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've not seen a recognisable uniform on anyone who's checked my ticket in recent years - every time it's occurred with me I've been on either a bendybus or a NBfL.

Steelwheels

Tannoy announcement?

I believe I saw the word Community on the ID but not the word Revenue

No the the Revenue Officer should announce the fact a ticket check/ inspection is about to be undertaken and that all passengers are not caught unaware and have time to produce their valid tickets.

I would contact the Revenue Section at TFL with the time and date and location of this incident and it would be checked out (no pun intended :lol:).

There have been isolated cases of persons impersonating enforcement roles, when clearly they were not.

matt_world2004

Established Member
They shouod display a roundel badge before commencing the ticket check looks like a police officers warrant card.

Mwanesh

A TFL official normally gets all the info from the ticket machine.There is no way a random person can just board and check tickets.The ticket machine shows type of card used contactless ,Encts or Oyster card.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The machines also don't look like the machines used in restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.