• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to not blur the front of trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And its a darn sight cheaper now than it used to be when you had to use film! ;)

Not if, like me, you still have the things printed off and put into albums - I don't want to have to switch a computer on every time I want to look at my pictures...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Not if, like me, you still have the things printed off and put into albums - I don't want to have to switch a computer on every time I want to look at my pictures...

Yes but I bet you do not print the crappy out of focus shots do you.

Processing film is all or nothing where as digital you can obviously delete at the click of a button.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes but I bet you do not print the crappy out of focus shots do you.

Processing film is all or nothing where as digital you can obviously delete at the click of a button.

That is true, on the other hand I find that the ability to see on the spot if I've got it right means I'm now taking a lot more photos that I was before, especially of things like sunsets or - on our main subject here, railway - trains photographed from other, moving, trains. Also landscapes from moving trains.

Donald82

Hi guys,

An example of my issue can be seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138309095@N05/25785321102/in/dateposted-public/

The train was travelling at 75mph but I had my shutter speed at 1/320 at the time, which has resulted in slight blurring of the front of the train. I will definitely try speeding up the shutter speed and bringing it up to 1/640 or similar for freight trains and certainly over 1/1000 for fast moving pendolino's and trains. I think this could resolve my issue, thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Regards,
Leo

You need to crank your shutter speed up as high as available light will allow. The closer the train gets to you the harder it will be for the auto-focus to track the intended point of focus (the front of the train). So try concentrating on shooting while the train is in the middle distance and crop in later during post-processing. this will give your auto-focus a fighting chance. Using a wider lens (increased depth of field) would also help.

leomartin125

You need to crank your shutter speed up as high as available light will allow. The closer the train gets to you the harder it will be for the auto-focus to track the intended point of focus (the front of the train). So try concentrating on shooting while the train is in the middle distance and crop in later during post-processing. this will give your auto-focus a fighting chance. Using a wider lens (increased depth of field) would also help.

This post is from ages ago, from when I started shooting with a DSLR. I no longer suffer this problem, and the shot taken by me shows just that. Quite recently in fact. Using 1/2000, ISO 800 and F8 aperture:

https://flic.kr/p/Kkfzqs

What would be the best settings for the Flying Scotsman as every time I try to get a photo, it keeps blurring and it's making its last run on the Tyne Valley Line this Sunday so won't get another opportunity for a few months. My camera is a Sony HX60.

Is this the correct settings in manual mode for the speed that it travels from comments I have seen on here at as I usually use it on auto mode.

Shutter 1/1600 (highest it goes)
F8.0
ISO 800

This is the angle I usually take from

https://flic.kr/p/Kfdb8s

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

trainmania100

Established Member
That's the problem I have with pictures
With photos you have one shot at getting it perfect but videos its like hundreds of pictures in one
My camcorder can actually take photos from the video playback.
I remember seeing a 66 dragging a 442 in 2010 the quality so poor it hardly looked like a 66
I always do videos when train moving and pics if its stationary

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
What would be the best settings for the Flying Scotsman as every time I try to get a photo, it keeps blurring and it's making its last run on the Tyne Valley Line this Sunday so won't get another opportunity for a few months. My camera is a Sony HX60.

It is important to pan with the train, move the camera as the train passes, so the relative speed difference between your camera and the front of the train is less.

ANDYS

Just seen your message so I hope it is not too late for you to have a look at some of my photos. All the details (shutter speed etc) are listed after every photo and these might give you an idea of what settings you will need for the Flying Scotsman.

Remember however, that the light plays a huge part in getting a decent shot as does the distance you are from the trains.

This shot was taken by my son on a very dull day so we had to knock the speed down due to the cameras we have. However, the locos were belting along and he was lucky to get the shot:-

56303 (1) by ANDY'S UK TRANSPORT PAGE, on Flickr

However, this one was on a sunny day in February, coming at me full belt and I was using the 'older' camera.

43467 (1) by ANDY'S UK TRANSPORT PAGE, on Flickr

As I say have a look if you get chance and good luck for the Flying Scotsman.

Andy S

Last edited:

Just seen your message so I hope it is not too late for you to have a look at some of my photos. All the details (shutter speed etc) are listed after every photo and these might give you an idea of what settings you will need for the Flying Scotsman.

Remember however, that the light plays a huge part in getting a decent shot as does the distance you are from the trains.

This shot was taken by my son on a very dull day so we had to knock the speed down due to the cameras we have. However, the locos were belting along and he was lucky to get the shot:-

56303 (1) by ANDY'S UK TRANSPORT PAGE, on Flickr

However, this one was on a sunny day in February, coming at me full belt and I was using the 'older' camera.

43467 (1) by ANDY'S UK TRANSPORT PAGE, on Flickr

As I say have a look if you get chance and good luck for the Flying Scotsman.

Andy S

Tried with the settings you had used on the Grand Central photo and panned it, and its came out clear.

https://flic.kr/p/L9Yzo5

Did a test shot with a freight train that was passing about half an hour before the Scotsman passed, which came through faster than the Scotsman did.

https://flic.kr/p/L9YzLu

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Worth pointing out that the limiting factor may well be the auto-focus system itself. A DSLR can focus very quickly, can be set to focus at many points other than the centre of the image, and in the right mode can also track and retain focus on the moving subject. Cameras with a lower spec will inevitably be gradually less capable as their price decreases and many will struggle with the (fast) approaching front end of a train being positioned off-centre in the image. Few "average" photographers have those needs in the way that railway photographers do so in spite of the fact that budget cameras are capable, in the right circumstances, of producing superb images it is no surprise that "serious" (railway) photographers can still be persuaded to part with considerable sums of money for the "right" piece of kit.

ANDYS

Excellent shots 156443. Glad the settings worked for you.

Looks like you had the weather as well. Now just try and tweak the settings as you get more comfortable with you camera and see what you can get. I am a great believer that it does not matter what kit you have but more to do with a bit of practice, good light and good luck.

Me and my 14 year old son are lucky enough to have had a few photos published. His always have (LOS) added to their name to identify them and his are often much better then mine even if I am stood only a few feet away from him. The light and subject may be the same but he has more of an 'eye' for an unusual shot and it often works for him.

If you get a chance have a look:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/albums

Andy S :D

Status
Not open for further replies.