• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to pronounce 'Claughton'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrex

It's been bugging me on-and-off for 60 years. Is it Clafton or Clawton or something else? I mean the LNWR locos built from 1913 onwards, the first of which was named after Sir Gilbert Claughton, chairman of the railway at that time.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I have always thought it was Claw-ton. However, the two villages in Lancashire have different pronunciations. The place on Merseyside appears to have another pronunciation.

Djgr

Established Member
I have always thought it was Claw-ton. However, the two villages in Lancashire have different pronunciations. The place on Merseyside appears to have another pronunciation.
Claughton village in Birkenhead is Claw-ton.

Attachments

• Claughton_Village_sign_on_Park_Road_North.jpg
    Claughton_Village_sign_on_Park_Road_North.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
No, it’s spelt Claughton, but it’s pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.

kermit

Claw-ton, according to my long-departed uncle, who spotted them in his youth, a very long time ago!

6Gman

Established Member
I've known two LNWR experts in my time.

Both said Claw - ton.

geoffk

Established Member
Slightly on the same subject, Maunsell is of course pronounced Man-sell.

Djgr

Established Member
The Claw-ton Hotel

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 11

webbfan

Have always assumed it to be clawton but checked with the expert Ted Talbot who replied "..it is as you say – Clawton. As the stress is on the first syllable the second syllable is unstressed as in Nuneaton, cotton and dozens of other words."

DerekC

Established Member
Claughtons were one of my dad's favourite locomotives in the 1920s - I can recall him looking through my 1959 spotters book and being quite upset that they had all been scrapped. He pronounced it "claw-tun".

Edit: on looking them up I see that one (6004) survived until 1949. Pity it wasn't preserved, although by all accounts they weren't a very good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.