• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to run BVE4 under Windows Vista x86 and x64 and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
Thanks very much for all the info. I have done everything suggested in the first post, and am now waiting for everything to be transported from my computer to my USB, before I transport over to my new laptop.

Mainly because I can't get the internet to work on my laptop, but that's a different story...;)

I'l let you know how the BVE goes later.

-----
EDIT:

Well chuffed, I got BVE to work first time, no problems at all!

jagenigma

I just recently downloaded BVE4 and it wont work with Vista Home premium
Yes i read EVERY SINGLE PAGE in this forum
no matter what i do, i still get the "BVE has stopped working"
i already registered the DLL files any help will be apreciated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I just recently downloaded BVE4 and it wont work with Vista Home premium
Yes i read EVERY SINGLE PAGE in this forum
no matter what i do, i still get the "BVE has stopped working"
i already registered the DLL files any help will be apreciated

actually forget about that i finally got it to work
Now where can i get csv files?

jagenigma

how did you get it working jagenigma as i have the same problem.

ok here is how i got it to work
I downloaded the 3 dll files on the first page
and i put them in to
C:\windows\system32\
Then i went to the command prompt and i activated the dx7vb.dll
dv8vb.dll(this was a typo it should be dx8vb.dll the dv8vb.dll is a spyware dll that is made from malicious code)
On the command prompt use the line
"c:\windows\system32\" to start
then type "regsvr" followed by the name of the first 2 dll's that you downloaded.
I hope this helps you.

Stephen

It seems to me that PCs with built-in display cards (like Intel) are more likely to succeed than other display cards (like nVidia). Is it so?

jagenigma

It wouldn't really matter because its just the software that you need to have.
I have an ATI RAEDON XPRESS 1100 graphics card and the sim runs absolutely fine.
It seems to me that PCs with built-in display cards (like Intel) are more likely to succeed than other display cards (like nVidia). Is it so?

J_Legrand

AFAIK the only real problem is when you have Vista AND an Nvidia GC. The latest Nvidia drivers that are compatible with BVE doesn't work on Vista -_-.
If someone find a way, It would be greatly appreciated if he could tell me, because I'm stuck on this since 2 weeks. :X

leezer3

There's no proper solution full-stop I'm afraid.
Two options that I've found, neither of which is much good-
1. Right-click on the BVE exe (Not shortcut), and in the compatibility properties select 256 colors. This will get display, very ratted but it works vaguely. Not reccommended.
2. Use a Virtual PC application & XP. The graphics drivers on these are awful, you'll get various transparency problems plus a few others, but things are playable, just about.

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Established Member
a majority of the people who can't run bve in vista will be people with nvidia graphics cards, me included.
This is because nvidia have a habit of releasing unfinished drivers.
It was the same when I came to run bve in xp 1 year ago, only luckily there was a fix avalible.
Beware when updating drivers, as some you will find on the nvidia website are beta's, I wouldn't touch them,you may find yourself inundated with stop errors(a.k.a the blue screen of death)
I would recommend dual booting as a solution, as pc world say "The best of both worlds"

dan_atki

Established Member
Just as an update to my situation - this may help others.

Recently I downloaded an early BVE v2 (v2.6 didn't work on Vista and I came across a v2.0 I think it is).

Anyways, there were some problems with a file not being found on the system even though it was there and registered. The solution was to UNregister the file.

I tried this on the two dx files for BVE4 and am pleased to say that there is a solution to the problem whereby you follow the steps in the original post in this thread and then start up BVE, select window size, and then click ok to get the 'BVE has stopped working' dialogue. Provided you have all the correct .Net Framework files this should work (as you will not get the 'general exception' error.

1) Follow the steps in post 1 of this thread BUT DO NOT exit command prompt.
2) Whilst the prompt is still in the system32 directory type in regsvr32 /u dx7vb.dll <enter>
3) The type in regsvr32 /u dx8vb.dll <enter>
(the /u option is for unregistering the files)
4) Re-register the files by typing in regsvr32 dx7vb.dll <enter> then regsvr32 dx8vb.dll <enter>
5) Type exit <enter>
6) BVE4 should start as normal after you select the window size wanted :D

petrail

Good to see your solution to this prob. I am a bit confused though! Are you suggesting 2.6 be uninstalled and replaced with the earlier version? Or can your unreg/reg routine work with BVE4 v2.6? (A recent registry cleanup? has screwed my dualboot arrangement so I would rather run BVE4 in Vista than having to reload XP.) Once I know which version of BVE4 your fix refers to, I'll certainly give it a go.

Sorry Dan...just realised your earlier version refers to BVE2. (I knew there was a "2" in my version of BVE4...ie BVE4.2.1947). I'll advise how it goes.

dan_atki

Established Member
I think the BVE2 thing has nothing to do with the BVE4 problem except the same solution to a similar problem works (ie unregistering files - in BVE2's case it was telling me it couldn't find mscomm32.ocx despite the file being in the correct place on the system). If you perform an installation of the latest BVE4 on Mackoy's site then follow the steps in my post above it should hopefully work... (provided you can get the screen resolution dialogue box come up when you run BVE.exe - if not there is also a problem with the .NET Framework which can also be fixed :) )

I have also discovered a solution to those of you who get the exception error on startup - this is confirmed as a .NET Framework error but not version 1.1 which BVE is meant to use but to v1.0.3075 - it requires a complete removal of this version of the framework and a fresh installation of that from the MS website.
If you are getting the exception error on startup please reply here and I'll write the steps needed to do a complete reinstall of the .NET Framework.

petrail

Last night I did a fresh instal of BVE4 (and Uchibo10) from the Mackoy site. I tried a fresh instal of .NET 1 Framework, but it would not instal because it was already there! (I currently have installed v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727 and v3.0.) I followed your unreg then reg of dx7vb.dll and dx8vb.dll...opened BVE4 and get the screen resolution dialog, but when I continue, "BVE has stopped working", etc. I then deleted the two .dlls, reinstalled them and tried your routine again. Same result...no joy, unfortunately.
After reading your latest post here, I see MS advises a repair of v1.1.4322 if v.1.0.3705 has been manually (completely) removed as some of it's components are also deleted with the removal of v.1.0.3705. I also see the MS notes on manual removal are from pre-Vista days. Do you know if it all works the same way with Vista?
If there is any chance of running BVE4 with Vista, I'll keep on persevering. Thanks for your help.

dan_atki

Established Member
The problem with the manual removal mentioned on the MS website doesn't seem to work properly because if you try to reinstall it after carrying out the instructions you are told it is already installed. Although I do not think the problem is with the .NET Framework (as you are getting the screen resolution dialogue come up), I will give you another way of uninstalling it anyway.

Go to http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx and download the cleanup tool in step 1, once you have downloaded it and extracted the exe from the zip, run it and select v1.0 - it will then remove most of the files and registry entries, enabling you to reinstall it.

Click the v1.0 framework link in step 2 to take you to the MS page where you can download the framework again and then reinstall it.

Try to run BVE again and see what happens - you will probably still have the same situation you had before unfortunately.

If you do, try following the unreg of the files BUT DO NOT reregister them and see if that makes a difference. If you are still having problems then try the unreg of mscomm32.ocx (in the same folder: system32) by typing regsvr32 /u mscomm32.ocx <enter> in the command prompt after you have changed the directory to system32.

If you still don't have any luck, try doing the cleanup of v1.1 of the .NET Framework using the same tool. Whilst my system does not have any service pack for v1.0 it does have the service pack for v1.1 installed so you could try that as well.

Failing that, I will send you the install file for BVE2.0 (that brings back memories!), to see if that could help with your situation like it seemed to with mine.

Perseverence is the key to this - after I got BVE2 on my system I thought I'll just try BVE4 and see what happens (expecting the error again) but it worked (and this is after about 7-8 months of trying) so don't give up hope!

petrail

Thanks Dan. I tried the MS method...found I had to take ownership of umpteen files and folders to do the job...was able to delete all but mscoree.dll. It would not budge! At first, I did have the "already installed" message, but then found a couple of items I'd missed, so it reinstalled OK, but still cannot open BVE4. Not even getting the "screen res" window...now it's "exception", process id=0x16a8( 5800), thread id=)x1614(5652). (By the way, had to repair 1.1.4322). Tried unreg/reg several times...still no good. I will now get several hours sleep, think of something else for a bit, then try your new link and advice. Thanks a lot, Dan.

dan_atki

Established Member
No problem! Now that you're getting the exception error it IS a .NET Framework issue, this error should be resolved by the steps above by completely cleaning the v1.0/1.1 Frameworks installed on your computer.

petrail

Most unfortunately, no joy! I used the removal tool to remove 1.0...worked fine. Downloaded .NET1.0, extracted, and installed. Two error messages at the end...could not register mscoree.dll and mscordbl.dll. Installation rolled back. Logs ndicate Registration Utility stopped working and was closed, or....NET was loaded but the call to dllRestrationServer failed with error code 0x80131700. Checked this out and MS advises to do exactly what I had done! So now, I have removed .NET but cannot put it in again!. I recently bought a new HDD and had been thinking of doing a clean instal of Vista to that. This mess today has me thinking I might do that real soon. But thanks for the time you have spent on my prob.

(Some hours later!) I suddenly thought of a system restore. This I did...to a date prior to my starting all this stuff! It's running fine again now...(My computer, not BVE4!) I then realised a few entries in the cleanup error report and the installation (1.0.3705) log may be of interest. They are quite lengthy so I hesitate to post them here, but Dan, if you feel these could help you, may I PM them to you? I'll wait till I hear from.you.

dan_atki

Established Member
You could PM them to me and I'll see if there's anything obvious that jumps out straight away.

Now that you have restored your system, what happens when you start up BVE4? Do you get the screen res dialogue and then a crash or do you straight away get the exception error?

petrail

Dan...I restored to a point prior to my insatalling BVE4 to the Vista HDD, so at the moment, it's not there! Will PM the log extracts shortly. Many thanks, Dan.

(Some hours later). I reinstalled BVE4...that's all, no Uchibo10 or any other train, folder, etc, then tried to open. Got the display resolution box, then BVE4 has stopped working. I then did exactly what you earlier suggested with the two dx..vb.dll files. Still no good. I then unregistered the mscomm32.ocx file...still no joy. I had to power off for a period, then rebooted and BVE4 suddenly opened fine. Obviously, the reboot did something. If you ever revise your "tutorial" above, it might be an idea to mention the reboot. (Actually, it may have worked after the reg/unreg of the .dll files if I had rebooted at that stage! We'll never know. Many thanks for all your trouble, Dan. It is appreciated. Now to load some files and play trains again!

(Some days later) Unfortunately, things are not as rosy as it seemed. The problem has obviously shifted to what seems like the well-documented nVIDIA problem. BVE4 now opens, as I earlier reported, but after loading a few routes and trains, when it opens I get sound (so it's obviously running) but a white screen. Found a brand new driver for my card, but it made no difference. Has anyone actually found an earlier driver for the nVIDIA 7xxx card that fixes the Vista-BVE4-nVIDIA compatibility prob?

Simon_G

I notice that nvidia have announced the release of ForceWare 169.25 as of 20/12/07. Anyone feel like being the sacrificial guinea pig?

petrail

Have already done so. And after that, the Beta 169.28. Neither made a scrap of difference to my situation...unfortunately! Have posted on a couple of nVIDIA forums and sent a request to their technical boffins. With the holidays upon us, it could be a while before...or if...we hear anything!

Simon_G

:sad:

It's unlikely that support for a minority interest like BVE is going to be a priority for nVidia, but as far as I can make out from comments on the Web, legacy support for dx7 under Vista is an issue for more 'mainstream' gamers, so maybe that'll prod them.

petrail

After spending lots of time surfing nvidia forums, I found a comment that it took nvidia some years to perfect their product to work well with XP, so it's only natural it will take some time to perfect the nvidia/Vista compatibility issue, especially when running some "older" applications. One thought though, how come we never seem to read of these probs with Radeon? Are they quicker at handling problems, or maybe they care more!!

trabanom

I have ATI randeon 9600Pro and i´m getting stange things here.
I follow all steps fron post #1 and got resulution screen. I selected 800*600 32 bits, or any other choise, and the resoults are the same:
right after read all files, it shows an error saying "out of range" for any tracke i load (see attached) with 2 coises: ignor or abort.
If i click "ignore" it load everything, shows the train, station and sounds. but as soon as i put on move, the train stats fly, yes, that it, it goes over the city and them, few seconds later, black screen.
If i clik on "abort", the blue screen of BVE freese.

Attachments

• bve.jpg
    bve.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 43

velaro

I have ATI randeon 9600Pro and i´m getting stange things here.
I follow all steps fron post #1 and got resulution screen. I selected 800*600 32 bits, or any other choise, and the resoults are the same:
right after read all files, it shows an error saying "out of range" for any tracke i load (see attached) with 2 coises: ignor or abort.
If i click "ignore" it load everything, shows the train, station and sounds. but as soon as i put on move, the train stats fly, yes, that it, it goes over the city and them, few seconds later, black screen.
If i clik on "abort", the blue screen of BVE freese.
What you're loading in your screenshot is a BVE 2 route (as are all routes from BVEBrasil.com.br). Some BVE 2 routes produce exactly this kind of error message when you run them in BVE 4 (although the graphics problems are not usually that severe). Does the same problem occur with genuine BVE 4 routes?

trabanom

It hapens when i load "Keisei" (Keisei_erro.jpg) route too. If i click on "ignore" the image goes like you see on Keisei_pic_1.jpg. You can drive the train but pictures go creasy and some objects go fly (Keisei_pic_2.jpg).

Attachments

• Keisei_erro.jpg
    Keisei_erro.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Keisei_pic_1.jpg
    Keisei_pic_1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Keisei_pic_2.jpg
    Keisei_pic_2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23

ChampsRacing

Hi everyone, right ive managed to get my bve running but when i go to load a route i can hear the train but get a white screen with no image what so ever. I have a Nvidia 8600 GTS graphics card, any help would be appreciated.

LabRatAndy

It's your gfx card that is incompatible with BVE I'm afraid for more information see this thread over on TSC about the issues with newer gfx cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.