• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to run BVE4 under Windows Vista x86 and x64 and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trabanom

My vista is in Portuguese. After do what post #1 said and change regional settings to English (us) - everything there from Portuguese to English (and location) - , BVE started to work great.

JRB

OMG!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! IT WORKS!!!! I bought a new comp and thought i would never be able to use BVE again. YOU ROCK!!!

trabanom

My vista is in Portuguese. After do what post #1 said and change regional settings to English (us) - everything there from Portuguese to English (and location) - , BVE started to work great.

Every thing works fine but F2 information. It keeps blinking and sometimes disappear completely.
:(

EE Type 3

Established Member
BRR has stopped working altogether :-?

I slap a train onto a route, and click start, then it freezes?

Any help? A case of a re-install or what?

TIA
Dave

GreeneBlitz

Install the Framework 3.5 update. I was getting the CLC error on startup, I have Vista and Nvidia 7600, I tried forever to get BVE to work, I tried all else on this and other forums, after a million uninstalls and reinstalls. I did the 3.5 update (which also patches Framework 2.0) and everything works fine. Hope that helps some of you.

Framework 3.5

class 313

Established Member
Framework 3.5 crashes when it gets to install. I un-installed the other versions as well and still no go.

Update:-

My brother got 3.5 overnight. So I tried BVE4 this evening and I have the issue now where its just white with sounds. Yes I do have a Nvidia 8600gt.

Guinness

Established Member
I just errors when loading the route that the file permissions are denied and says its apparently down to corrupt memory..

varcoe88

I have downloaded the required files but when i try 2 use the command prompt to transfer the files i keep gettin an error saying:
The module dxvb.dll failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary orn dependant .DLL files
The specified module could not be found.

Any ideas anyone??

Ilove165's

I'm having trouble installing them on my new laptop......it said that it didn't recognise them so i put them into MS Word format and now it seems that I can't put them in the BVE folder......guess my days of playing BVE are over :(

mbonwick

Established Member
Why would you load a .DLL in MS Word? ANd I think they should be in the windows root directory, not the BVE folder.

mbonwick

Established Member
nothing, you're best off just leaving it unasociated.

Put them where the tutorial tell you to, then run the CMD.

varcoe88

Well i have just tried moving the .dll files which succeded....why this time i dont no but they have....and im pleased to say BVE4 works on vista!!!!! lol!

EWS 58038

Okay... those things above didn't work out for me, so I tried out something else.

The idea i simple, Run a virtual PC on your PC. So.. therefore you need some software.

- Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 will do the job. Download it and install it. Now Microcrap will tell you your windows Vista system isn't capable blablablabla... ignore it.. It does work on my Vista, so it should work on yours aswell.

- Secondly, create a VIRTUAL PC. Just go thru the steps of the program.
- Now you have your PC, but without a OS. So putt in your Windows 98/Me or XP CD and tell the program to boot from CD. Don't fear the "format C:" It's VIRTUAl;) After your old and trusted "it always did the job, and what on earth was I thinking to replace it with Vista" OS is on the VIRTUAL PC you putt all the files you want on a CD/DVD and load it from there into your brand new windows inside windows trick.

Install BVE4 and enjoy the ride.

If you don't have a copy of an older windows version... there are plenty available for free if you know where to look.;) And if you still can't find any... just PM me.. and I'll show you where to get 'm.

shaunwhitman

Has anyone ran into any issues with ATI cards? I currently have an nvidia 256mb 8600gt that I was thinking of replacing with a 512mb ATI card as an alternative to dual booting. The dll fix didn't work for me....

rob45player4

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

The title says it does work WELL DONE! SO excited! :grin::grin::grin:

For me anyway????

Last edited:

cytrain

Hi a friend with a new Acer Perspire notebook bundled with Vista asked me to install BVE4 on his machine. 2Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8400M graphics card built in (which I obviously can't change!).

So I began by copying over the 3 dll files as suggested in the first post in this thread. I just got a very distorted window with green and brown colors, nothing else. Whether I ran it fullscreen or in windowed, it ended up showing a white screen and no train. It also told me a lot of files were missing (just as other posters here have experienced), which was difficult to explain, as BVE4 ran perfectly on my old XP.

So then I thought of running it inside VirtualBox, which installed ok, though I couldn't get Shared Folder nor USB support to work, even after installing Guest Additions.

Anyway, I was able to install BVE on XP in VirtualBox (luckily I had burned my whole install on a CD) and tried running it. The graphics kept crashing - the windowed version got split into 2 halves on the screen and the fullscreen version hung the machine.

I tried fiddling with the Nvidia resolution and scaling controls but nothing helped.

I guess I could try running it in one of the other virtual machine applications (vmware, microsoft's virtual machine) but I now must agree that the problem seems to be that BVE4 just doesn't like my Vista installation, maybe nvidia is to blame. It's just not worth trying to fix it.

class 313

Established Member
Do what it says on the front page Loader. The only reason yours doesn't work is because you have a graphics card driver that disagrees with Vista.

I've done what its said. But nothing. My graphics card is fine with Vista. Running RS with ease.

devon_metro

Established Member
Yes, the graphics card is fine on most things, but it won't work on BVE. There is no way to cure it until the Drivers are 100% compatible with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.