• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Well Do Current TOC's Compare to BR on Lateness / Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Has there been a proper comparison of late and cancelled trains of the current TOCs and BR applying the criteria used then and now to each and if so, what were the results ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mister-sparky

As a guess, I'd say it would be impossible to compare then and now. Completely different network, rolling stock (for the majority) and other parameters which would make the comparison very difficult and unreliable.

Tiny Tim

As a guess, I'd say it would be impossible to compare then and now. Completely different network, rolling stock (for the majority) and other parameters which would make the comparison very difficult and unreliable.

I'm not sure about it being a 'Completely different network' but comparisons would be difficult for several reasons. But not impossible.

bronzeonion

Even if everything is different it would still be interesting to see a comparison.

6Gman

Established Member
I suspect performance is better than under BR, but it would be unfair to draw a causative link for any number of reasons:

1. Slam-door stock now very rare - was a major cause of delays
2. No parcel/mail traffic on passenger trains to delay station departures
3. Very, very few slow freights these days [try getting a 35mph empty ballast from Lancaster to Crewe without causing mayhem!]
4. Less complex traincrew diagramming
5. New communication systems - mobile phones, radios etc. In the old days getting a message from a train meant stopping at a signalbox/station or chucking out a note as you passed!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
One of the big bits will be differences in data gathering standards and records keeping. Or to put it more simply: is there an archive of punctuality data for BR?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Surely the purpose of any such comparison would be to show what improvements (or not) there have been to delay/cancellation rates as a result of the changes to the network/rolling stock etc. since privatisation? I'm not sure what sort of comparison you would be aiming to draw by attempting to compare BR with TOCs if no other changes had been made.

ivanhoe

As a passenger who experienced both eras,I would suggest that punctuallity is better now than in the BR era but I would also suggest that the railway is a far different animal now, with more services run by different TOCS. I would also suggest now that people's expectations are far greater now than say 20 years ago. However, it has taken the privatised railway nearly 20 years to reach better punctuality( with substantial investment) and who is to say that BR's record would not have improved accordingly. I would suggest that it would have done.

Nick W

Established Member
5. New communication systems - mobile phones, radios etc. In the old days getting a message from a train meant stopping at a signalbox/station or chucking out a note as you passed!

NRN and CSR were developed under British Rail.

I feel that people seem to have the view that British Rail was somehow outdated. They were using technology which was in my opinion more advanced than what have today.

Muzer

Established Member
I believe any such comparison, as Lewisham2221 implied, would mostly compare the railway back then with the railway now, rather than directly comparing the merits of state- and franchise-run railways. That's not to say it's a useless comparison; I would be rather interested to see what all the advances have brought us in terms of punctuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.