• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How were the GWR 16xx Tank Engines used in the Thames Valley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallpaul70

Hi All,
I am thinking of buying one of the GWR 16xx tank engines announced by Model Rail in 00 gauge for my 1960-62 layout.

Before deciding, I would like to know how the examples at Slough and Oxford sheds were used.

Did they share diagrams with the more numerous 57xx tanks or did they have specific tasks?

I would have thought that their power classification of 2F as against the 57xx rating of 3F would mean they could not do all the jobs the 57xx could?

I am mainly interested in their use west from Slough and on the branches such as Maidenhead to High Wycombe and Oxford to Princes Risborough.

Any relevant information will be appreciated.

Many thanks
Best regards
Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
The 16xx looked pretty much like a 57xx if you are not a Pannier Buff, but they were (just a bit) smaller all round - shorter, lighter, smaller wheels, less pressure, etc. Their construction pretty much followed on from the 57xx after nationalisation, and were originally intended to replace some of the 19th Century tanks with similar characteristics, while the 94xx picked up the larger and heavier mantle. Those London area sheds all had various quantities of these as well.

It was actually common for GWR/WR sheds to have a few of each of the various types, which was not such a nuisance as may be imagined because they were all composed of various interchangeable standard parts across different classes, and Hawksworth had just permed various standard bits for the 16xx as well. In the GWR classification scheme a 57xx was Yellow, whereas a 16xx was Uncoloured, meaning it had a greater availability. I can't think of any Thames Valley lines which were Uncoloured, but maybe some sidings etc were. Or maybe it didn't really matter.

In capacity a 57xx was a real haulage belter, 3F doesn't really describe them well, they could readily manage a full size freight or all the Paddington ECS, 4F at least, and they did quite a bit of main line work, both passenger and goods. The 16xx was lighter, and there were plenty of duties where the larger loco could be replaced without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.