• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How will London Transport cope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
...apparently he or she started making death threats and talking about having weaponry or a suspicious item or something.

Yeah, someone I knew was on the train. Started shouting that he was going to kill everyone, unsure why. LU and police were very good to respond apparently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That all makes sense to me. London Victoria and Charing Cross might be a tiny bit mental if people have to go there! I hear London Bridge is packed, as is to be expected, of course (and that's hardly unusual).

People were advised to come to Charing Cross instead of Canon Street or London Bridge, people came to Charing cross, trains were diverted to Charing Cross, people got on trains at Charing Cross and people got home.

There were some delays of 10-20 minutes and diverted services but the station coped well AND carried on taking people to and from the games.

There is a long way to go but things are going well so far (TOUCH WOOD!)

WatcherZero

Established Member
Offical early statistics, London Underground passengers up 5% but shoppers in central London down 10%.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The stations i have been at have been described as quiet by those who know them best. Plenty of volunteers/travel champions etc about to direct passengers and responses have been generally good to the help offered.

Foreign visitors seem very impressed by services, help and advice given to them at stations by volunteers

WatcherZero

Established Member
New statistic just in, Tourist venue footfall down 35%! Shopper fall revised up to 12%.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think they are using the university for accommodation & it was the end of their shift.

I have never seen so many police on the same train before!
Yes that is correct. One of the principal accommodation sites for Met Police officers policing the games is at the University of Hertfordshire residences.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Never seen so many BTP and other officers around on FCC M - even at 2200 at St Albans - normally a very rare sight outside St Pancras .........

Loadings still not normal - lie in today and the 0816 semi fast had no standing and a few empty seats. Normally you have to fight your way off at St Pancras. London feels like a Sunday ..... (morning)

Southern

Alterations this evening for anyone using Cannon Street, mainly 1G Headcodes via Chatham starting from Victoria. I'd post the link but sending this from my mobile, information should be on Southeastern and NRE websites.

Lrd

Established Member
Alterations this evening for anyone using Cannon Street, mainly 1G Headcodes via Chatham starting from Victoria. I'd post the link but sending this from my mobile, information should be on Southeastern and NRE websites.
A signalling problem is causing disruption at London Cannon Street.
Because of this, some Southeastern services will be amended today, Wednesday 1 August.
Service until the Evening Peak:
The planned service is expected to run.

Evening Peak:
The following trains will start from London Victoria instead of London Cannon Street:
16:46 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate
17:08 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate
17:30 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate
17:52 London Cannon Street to Broadstairs
18:14 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate
18:44 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate

Passengers may use London Underground between London Cannon Street and London Victoria.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It is quite noticeable , the empty seats on FCC peak commuter trains ...

Maybe Locog ought to raffle them off with unused stadium /event seats.

6Gman

Established Member

Perhaps they'll draft in the millitary to make them look busier!

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I commute on Jubilee and Picadilly lines (away from Stratford, and towards Heathrow in the mornings, and towards Stratford in the evenings) and these lines have been no busier at the times I've been travelling. If anything, they have been less busy, but there does seem to be a higher proportion of tourists.

I too suspect Londoners are staying away from central London.

jon0844

Veteran Member

You'd probably find that FCC RPIs would then be ready to pounce by saying the raffled tickets weren't transferable and take everyone to court!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But the question is; now everyone is saying London is empty, how many will think that it's okay to come in - and find that everyone else thought the same..!

Nevasleep

Looks like there's chaos at Cardiff. FGW (or locog) have messed up big time by the sounds of it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We managed again today. Touch wood nothing at all to worry about during any part of the day. The Strand was noticeably busier today and the Boris com has been turned off so loadings may increase over the coming days.

The damaged points are bring replaced a Canon Street tonight hence the alterations to service.

I am quite liking my temporary assignment!

infobleep

Veteran Member
A friend of mine thinks London Bridge is less busy than usual and therefore can't understand the need to close the station to passengers heading out of London in the evening? She said it's been far more dangerous in the past. I've not been their much but I did pass through once when building work going on and it was congested as a result with the barriers still in use!

Yesterday; the day before and Monday I was hearing announcements at Euston saying the subway from platforms 8-11 are closed to passengers going to the underground. On the Tuesday the subway shop had it's shutters down and the yesterday it didn't.

On both Tuesday and yesterday however people were ignoring the announcements and going down. No one from TFL was bothering to stop them either, where as on Monday I wasn't there early enough to know if they were. It's no good relying on passengers to correctly follow announcements. They simply don't.

However they are still making an effort to stop people going to London Bridge, I've heard if your quick you can get through as their are large gaps and the staff are not going to chase after you. Not that I'm going anywhere near London Bridge to find out.

hluraven

A friend of mine thinks London Bridge is less busy than usual and therefore can't understand the need to close the station to passengers heading out of London in the evening? She said it's been far more dangerous in the past. I've not been their much but I did pass through once when building work going on and it was congested as a result with the barriers still in use!

London Bridge was only closed to outbound passengers on Monday, and only after 1800, and only Southeastern/FCC rather than Southern. It is planned to be open throughout the rest of the Olympics unless something unexpected occurs increasing congestion significantly.

It is slightly less busy than usual on my trains through, but not a massive amount. There are quite a lot less people on board from Charing Cross/Waterloo East in my experience, so the platforms at London Bridge are similarly loaded to usual, but more people get seats.

Tonight the main extra passengers from events are expected 1600-1900 so it will be harder to miss the congestion by leaving earlier as many have been doing, but the station will not be closed in any way.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
AM Peak trains are definitely less busy.

However trains arriving London before 0730 are definitely more busy. I only just squeezed on the 0618 from St Albans yesterday morning, last week I had a choice of seats on the same service. The extra people yesterday were generally kitted out as if heading to a sporting event.

So perhaps a part of the missing peak is people with Olympic tickets just going in earlier? Certainly the evening peak trains are as busy as normal.

user15681

Established Member
Caught the 1830 to RAM last night from Sittingbourne (was the 1730 from Cannon Street, diverted to start from Victoria). It was empty, literally. There were about 5 people in the entire coach that I got on. Normally, it's very busy - all seats taken.

Again, backing up all the stories that London is empty and people are avoiding travel. Although, I did then think, it could have been empty because it was diverted to start from Victoria instead of Cannon Street?

oversteer

Yesterday; the day before and Monday I was hearing announcements at Euston saying the subway from platforms 8-11 are closed to passengers going to the underground. .

They haven't done this yet in the morning or evening. They did on a test day last week.

It hasn't been any different to normal in the mornings, although this morning they did block off the Northern/Victoria southbound platform escalators, I think because the Vic platform was full.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Coped again today. Charing Cross was busier and there seemed to be more people about. There were more suits and more visitors. Still no real problems & long may it continue - Touching wood of course!

Not all of London Bridge was closed. The bit that was closed to deal with the expected 60k people traveling to and from Greenwich for the equestrian events. It is the prime interchange between tube and rail for these events. It doesn't help that many of the connecting passages between platforms and underground are so narrow and any issues with service could quickly lead to problems on the station.

The sensible thing for the normals to do would be to go to Cannon Street or Charing Cross and be first on the train;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Seems like it's the only late trains more affected than during the day!

hluraven

Last night was busier than other Olympics days at London Bridge as the shooting spectators got into LB at the same time as the start of the rush hour, but still not as busy as non-school holiday time regular commuter services.

As another thread says, Southeastern must be doing really well as there is no media coverage of it!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Bit of a mess this morning with delays on GA and central line. Not a good start to the athletics!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Last night was busier than other Olympics days at London Bridge as the shooting spectators got into LB at the same time as the start of the rush hour, but still not as busy as non-school holiday time regular commuter services.

As another thread says, Southeastern must be doing really well as there is no media coverage of it!

South Eastern don't run the station
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was all fine again today.

tsr

Established Member
With any luck, I should be heading across London in a few hours' time between Victoria and Euston - Westminster City Council reckon today will be the day that London gets rather busier, so I am a tad nervous, even though the tube is very, very familiar to me. We shall see what happens...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Coped again today - busier but still fine. No issues to report (apart from a short failure on the Waterloo and City)

Southern

Much the same yesterday evening, 1958 Faversham - St Pancras offloaded an impressive crowd, same with the train I caught up from Ashford in the afternoon. Ebbsfleet shuttles still seem a little empty but maybe I was there at the wrong times.

Status
Not open for further replies.