• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How will London Transport cope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
So, now the opening ceremony is over. Will it all go wrong? Will the DLR LU LO National rail cope? I know the effort that has gone into this is greater than anything we will probably see again and this is no insult to the great work done by all involved. I am just not convinced we have resilient enough infrastructure to deal with such an intensive non stop service.
This isn't me being cynical, i think it has a great chance of going well, i just worry about cable theft/ suicides that are just out of everybodys control.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You only need to look at Greater Anglia's Twitter feeds to find how much Very Short Term Planning has been deployed tonight!
TP

Lrd

Established Member
So far, this is all that's on the NRE website:

A broken down train is causing disruption at Saunderton.
There are delays of up to 30 minutes between Princes Risborough and West Ruislip. These delays will continue until further notice.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
People actually having a go at GA for not sticking to normal timetable. Some people are just a joke.

user15681

Established Member
In all fairness to GA, it's not their fault the Opening Ceremony finished later than planned. They have reacted well, it seems,... delaying their last trains and putting into place their contingency plan by operating later services.

NSE

Established Member
I think it will only be because of things outside of their control. So cable theft, one unders etc. no one can help them.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Most delays through SRA are being recorded as 'Delayed due to an unusually large passenger flow' :roll: But other than the planned delays everything looks good on LDB.

BBC News are at Regional station at the mo...

Drsatan

Established Member
SWT's Twitter feed reports that an extra service was run from Weymouth to Bournemouth departing at 0020, since there were too many passengers for the 2300 departure. I can imagine 'extras' having to be run on the Weymouth line every day!

user15681

Established Member
Most delays through SRA are being recorded as 'Delayed due to an unusually large passenger flow' :roll: But other than the planned delays everything looks good on LDB.

BBC News are at Regional station at the mo...

Are you sure about LDB? Trains at CHX are being held 15 minutes, so they'll be 15 late at LDB.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Fair play to GA (and others) for keeping people updated via Twitter, including useful information and updates - like telling people not to panic. FCC is also doing the same, with extra trains running from King's Cross beyond the normal last 0136 train.

If people are moaning about not keeping to a timetable, they are indeed idiots - but then there are people moaning about the Olympics and why French was used ahead of English (a simple Google search would tell them why if they cared to look!).

Anyway, seems like things didn't all fall to bits and we can go to bed proud!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
GA have added a 0215 (VSTP) 1G00 Stratford (London) to Colchester calling at Shenfield, Chelmsford and Witham - some stops have been pulled on some metro services. Watching this from a back seat, they seem to be coping very well!

Nym

Established Member
liz humphries on twitter is being very funny on the GA thread, well, stupid.

liz humphries ‏@JacobsLiz

@greateranglia yes I know but hold at Stratford so we could sit comfortably!! Very simple!!
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

5m Greater Anglia Greater Anglia ‏@greateranglia

@jacobsliz We held back 10 trains this evening so not possible to have them all sat at Statford. PB
and then...
liz humphries ‏@JacobsLiz

@greateranglia why? Nothing else came through on that line while we waited?
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

1m Greater Anglia Greater Anglia ‏@greateranglia

@jacobsliz There's not enough lines there for 10 trains and we weren't sure how late the ceremony would finish tonight. PB
Hide conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Oh how much this GA tweeter must be laughing :)

http://twitter.com/greateranglia

user15681

Established Member
Saw those GA Tweets too, pretty amusing! But as a whole, at the moment, London's Transport is coping.

Nym

Established Member
At the moment though, there is only one point of entry and it's well filtered, wait until there's multiple points of entry and exit and many point to points, and add in rush hour traffic at it's norm.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Piccadilly Line now suspended between Hammersmith and Kings Cross due to a person under a train with minor delays on the rest of the line.

EDIT 0158: 2H80, LST to CBG service via SRA which left SRA at about 0123 is now at Cheshunt with a passenger being taken ill.

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
SE running one additional service from Stratford Int'l to St Pancras Int'l at 0220, then an additional service from St Pancras Int'l to Ashford Int'l at 0240.

Clip

Established Member
I did notice that towards the end there were a fair few empty seats so I can imagine people were worried and left a bit earlier and this will probably happen during games time too. Did notice that the Jubilee was suspended for a bit whilst the athletes were still coming in so they done well to get it up andrunning again

krisk

I think its done very well considering. Don't forget all those whom are working late to get people home too.

SF-02

I saw that Greater Anglia put on extra trains and ran very late last night as contingency. Well done them. Southeastern to Kent have put on some slightly later trains (which are no where near enough) and were packed. The last trains were late leaving due to crowds and people left behind. No contingencies.

Clip

Established Member
I saw that Greater Anglia put on extra trains and ran very late last night as contingency. Well done them. Southeastern to Kent have put on some slightly later trains (which are no where near enough) and were packed. The last trains were late leaving due to crowds and people left behind. No contingencies.

They have contingencies. But you have to weigh up getting people home with exams and also the service in the morning.

Anyone would think it was easy running a railway given some peoples views.

If you do,then please apply within.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The last SE trains were late leaving because a decision was taken to hold them by 15 mins. And they were by no means packed, and no one was left behind due to crowding, at least not at the central London stations.

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC put on later trains, but also had the message about 'unexpectedly large passenger flow' or similar.

I wonder if they managed to get everyone home?

Still, I believe they did at least run the trains - unlike New Year when they had the extra trains but many didn't run due to a shortage of drivers!!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The c0230 off STP LL to Bedford was certainly crush loaded, but everyone got on who wanted to at STP, indeed it was held for some passengers coming off the tube / Javelin. I think it did leave a few behind at West Hampstead though. Fortunately they only had a hour to wait till the next one.

Typically few people got off at any of the stations until St Albans whereupon at least 500 people alighted. To be greeted by 3 taxis :roll: If only other transport providers were as well prepared for the Olympics eh?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Typically few people got off at any of the stations until St Albans whereupon at least 500 people alighted. To be greeted by 3 taxis :roll: If only other transport providers were as well prepared for the Olympics eh?

I would agree if it was buses or any other mode of public transport, or contracted taxi companies, however a lot of taxi drivers work for themselves, and if they're happy with what they've taken over the course of their day (indeed maybe taking hundreds to the station for the Olympics), then I don't really see how they can be blamed for not showing up at 3am!

steamybrian

Established Member
For tonight MONDAY 30TH JULY1800-2200hrs -I was rather puzzled to read that London Bridge platforms 1-6 will be only available for passengers leaving the station between those times. The public notices state that if you want to join trains then use other stations.
I realise that the Horse event is on at Greenwich but I fail to understand any other reason. London Bridge is quite capable of dealing with rush hour crowds so I cannot see much difference . Can anyone explain further reasons behind this decision..?

John55

For tonight MONDAY 30TH JULY1800-2200hrs -I was rather puzzled to read that London Bridge platforms 1-6 will be only available for passengers leaving the station between those times. The public notices state that if you want to join trains then use other stations.
I realise that the Horse event is on at Greenwich but I fail to understand any other reason. London Bridge is quite capable of dealing with rush hour crowds so I cannot see much difference . Can anyone explain further reasons behind this decision..?

London Bridge is a station I use often and I agree with NR that it is not capable of handling simultaneous inward and outward peak loadings from Platforms 1 - 6.

To get to and from the Underground directly there are 3 narrow passages, one from each island, which are an accident waiting to happen. I suspect if London Bridge was a football ground it would have been compelled to shut years ago due to poor entrances and exits!.

Status
Not open for further replies.