• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS1 operating incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlippyFF

Does anyone know what the current operating incident is thats thats affecting HS1 by Ashford? From the comfort of my garden I heard the distinctive sound of a 374 humming away and a look at the realtime maps a Eurostar was shown taking the fork into Ashford but it's now reversed back up the line.
We've had Southeastern 1J90 sat in Lenham Heath Loop (London bound side) and Eurostar 9048 ran 'wrong' road to the tunnel. Meanwhile what I suspect was the offending unit(?), train 9152, still sat just north of Ashford.

Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Wrong routing of the Eurostar. Had to reverse/set back as not cleared through Ashford station.

FlippyFF

Wrong routing of the Eurostar. Had to reverse/set back as not cleared through Ashford station.

Thanks, that'd explain the 374 pulling away that I heard.

Does anyone know when the HS1 signalling that was installed at Ashford at the start of last year will be fixed and brought back into use?

Simon

ptreanor

The issue with the 374s not calling at Ashford is not related to the signalling system. KVB train protection was introduced at Ashford last year and I believe that system is working just fine.

FlippyFF

The issue with the 374s not calling at Ashford is not related to the signalling system. KVB train protection was introduced at Ashford last year and I believe that system is working just fine.

I heard from a HS1 driver shortly after the 374s stopped calling at Ashford that the introduction of the system was triggering (emergency?) braking when 395s entered the overlap area. Was this incorrect? If the signalling isn't the issue, what is?

Simon

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
KVB?
Obviously all this automatic signalling isn't fool-proof! How far in advance does a driver have of a diverging route, and are they able to stop a train before its too late?

paul1609

Established Member
KVB?
Obviously all this automatic signalling isn't fool-proof! How far in advance does a driver have of a diverging route, and are they able to stop a train before its too late?
KVB has always been used at St Pancras for slow speed areas and was installed last year at Ashford as 374s don't have AWS. The signalling works okay but it's been discovered that a printed circuit board on the 374s burns out if they are used in an area with dual ac/dc electrification (Ashford Station). This will apparently be resolved by next year.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
KVB has always been used at St Pancras for slow speed areas and was installed last year at Ashford as 374s don't have AWS. The signalling works okay but it's been discovered that a printed circuit board on the 374s burns out if they are used in an area with dual ac/dc electrification (Ashford Station). This will apparently be resolved by next year.
What's KVB?

ijmad

Established Member
Unbelievable that the problems at Ashford still aren't sorted.

JN114

Established Member

Essentially none - infact they get no routing indications at all on TVM430 (the HS1 in cab signalling) - The signalling system just presents a series of lowering target speeds to the driver for them to navigate the junction safely. But you’d see the same series of target speeds if you caught up with a train ahead.

notadriver

Established Member
Essentially none - infact they get no routing indications at all on TVM430 (the HS1 in cab signalling) - The signalling system just presents a series of lowering target speeds to the driver for them to navigate the junction safely. But you’d see the same series of target speeds if you caught up with a train ahead.
I think though that if in doubt surely just stop at the last place where you can be routed straight ahead and ask if the route is set correctly ?

ptreanor

TVM 430 cab signalling is a speed signalling system. Speed signalling (as opposed to route signalling) is used throughout Europe and (generally) provides no indication of route. The assumption is that trains are routed as per the timetable requirements. There are no safety implications with this method of signalling as misrouting controls are applied where necessary. KVB (Contrôle de Vitesse par Balises) is a train protection used on "classic" lines in France (and at St Pancras and now on the Ashford chords).
My understanding is that there is an on-board EMC issue with the 374s transiting the dual traction area either side of Ashford station. I believe a fix has been developed and will be implemented soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.