• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbdm

Will the route of HS2 affect the yard of Andrew Goodman at Wishaw?
Going off the link in the previous post the yard is not far away.
Not sure where you mean, but the route is going to the east of Junction 9/Dunton Island and through Middleton, then on to the North.
Wishaw is unaffected as I understand it.

The route is available here: http://interactive-map.hs2.org.uk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
It's a shame that map does not include existing railway lines. I was trying to see the interaction/closeness to the WCML near Birmingham International and it's not on there

Try switching it to satellite view? That seems to show something that looks like a railway line nearby.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The route does make me wonder if the whole York Branch is suboptimally positioned.

Perhaps it would be better to connect the lines immediately North of Doncaster, where the new route of HS2 comes within a few kilometres of the ECML and the other lines.

Thanks to the high speed of the section between Doncaster and York, you don't lose much time, but also shorten the length of new track and gain the ability to serve Hull directly.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The route does make me wonder if the whole York Branch is suboptimally positioned.

Perhaps it would be better to connect the lines immediately North of Doncaster, where the new route of HS2 comes within a few kilometres of the ECML and the other lines.

Thanks to the high speed of the section between Doncaster and York, you don't lose much time, but also shorten the length of new track and gain the ability to serve Hull directly.
I think that would be about 7km of new alignment plus quite a bit more for junctions either end. Assuming the line to Leeds remained as currently planned, it would eliminate the connection off that towards York which looks to be about 13km including junctions. So some saving of construction but not a vast one.

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Railway Gazette has posted that Toton Depot will not be affected by HS2.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/world-rail-freight-news-round-up-78.html

Railway Gazette said:
HS2 Ltd has confirmed that the land occupied by DB Cargo UK’s workshops at Toton near Nottingham will not be required to build High Speed 2. DB Cargo UK’s Chief Executive Hans-Georg Werner said he hoped this would put an end to speculation that the depot would have to be ‘hastily relocated’ to make way for HS2. ‘While the site may have to move to accommodate new economic development associated with the HS2 hub station at some time over the next 15 to 20 years, there is time to work with all interested parties to ensure a holistic approach is taken’, he said on March 22.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Translation: when HS2 arrives the land will be much more valuable so we'll move out and sell it.

If they were relocated beforehand I wonder if this would reduce the complexity and cost of what HS2 has to provide around Toton. Classic lines were to be provided on both sides of HS2 last time I looked.

aylesbury

Between Aylesbury and Waddesdon on the A41 a construction crew are preparing to build an access road complete with a small steel bridge.Its going off to the left as you come from Aylesbury a bridge is also going in somewhere here so maybe the works are connected?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Noticed on the train through Water Orton the other day that there is a newt fence and what looks like a haul road between there and Castle Bromwich. I can't swear to it being on the exact route of HS2 but it can't be far away.

aylesbury

On the other side of the A41 there are fences on the line of the route already so things seem to be moving also a great deal of activity beside the Wendover by pass. Might be soil sampling etc but its been going on for at least two weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator:

aylesbury

Went past the site I mentioned before alongside A41 to Waddesdon ,the metal bridge is in position through a hedgerow (ditch below) and a roadway is in place.The compound just off the road has an office and parking area and vehicle were there yesterday.Will be interesting to see what is going on also contractors have been seen at rear of estate south of town so progress is happening.

The "stophs2isdead" hashtag on twitter seems to have disappeared. Is it just me, or has it been "censored."

absolutelymilk

Established Member
There are no trains from Euston on three weekends over the coming months, anyone know what work specifically is going on?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Majority of it is NR work, renewal of Wembley North junction, HS2 are doing work at Camden carriage sidings and Euston.

aylesbury

Found out what is happening between Aylesbury and Waddesdon today its a survey for newts etc flags advertising the company.

aylesbury

Today I saw works access signs on the outskirts of Stoke Manderville, road to Princes Risboro, a track that leads around back of houses must being used for investigation work as the line will cross the road here.

aylesbury

Today new work on right of A41 approaching Waddesdon crossroads workers on route of line in good numbers.Its slowly but surely starting wont be long before we see bridge abutments going up the dreaded earth removal lorries thundering up and down our roads someone is going to make a lot od money moving earth.

snowball

Established Member
DfT press release

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-as-independent-hs2-construction-commissioner

Sir Mark Worthington has been appointed as independent HS2 Construction Commissioner.

Sir Mark will independently investigate matters that have not reached a satisfactory conclusion through HS2 Ltd’s complaints process.

Mr Worthington will provide independent, impartial decisions as well as advice on how to make a complaint and will build relationships across industry and community groups, local authorities, HS2 Ltd and contractors.

Awarded an OBE in 2005 and knighted in 2014, Sir Mark has more than 20 years of experience working with government — including as Baroness Thatcher’s private secretary from 1992 to 2013 and director of her private office — and has served as the Director of the Margaret Thatcher Foundation.

Mr Worthington’s main functions will include:
  • ensuring that people affected by HS2 know who the Construction Commissioner is and what they do
  • mediating in unresolved disputes between HS2 Ltd and individuals or bodies, including claims under the small claims scheme
  • monitoring complaints and providing reports marking trends and providing advice on how to reduce the instance of complaints where possible
  • developing and maintaining good relationships with members of the public, community and industry groups, local authorities, HS2 Ltd, contractors and businesses
Sir Mark Worthington, Independent Construction Commissioner, said:

As we deliver HS2, the new high speed railway our country needs for growth, regeneration and better journeys, it is vital that we do so with respect and fairness to those impacted by construction.

I’m looking forward to taking up this post and working hard to ensure residents and businesses along the route know they can seek fair and independent resolution of complaints if necessary.

Sir Mark will take up the role in due course.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sir Mark appears to have lost and regained his knighthood in the course of that press release, as well as picking up an OBE on the way.

Tobbes

Established Member
Sir Mark appears to have lost and regained his knighthood in the course of that press release, as well as picking up an OBE on the way.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one smiling at that. Though not nearly as good as the Daily Telegraph (of all papers) coming up with HRH The Queen a few years back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.