• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 - good for the provinces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir David Higgins was on Radio 4 this morning, resisting the suggestion that High-Speed rail lines predominantly benefit the economy of the capital rather than the provinces. Apparently the lower cost of provincial office space will see businesses flocking outwards.

A quick check of weekday ticket prices for (Medium-Speed) London/Leeds is illuminating. From Leeds to London, there are EIGHT trains in the morning peak which are judged busy enough to warrant an Anytime-only restriction. From London to Leeds there are just TWO morning trains with that restriction: get up early and you can use an off-peak ticket before the morning peak.

It doesn't look as if today's medium-speed trains to Leeds are seeing many London businesses despatching their people to create wealth in Yorkshire - there are clearly lots more Yorkshire folk going down to create wealth in London. What is the logic for assuming a complete change in the balance of the extra traffic that is attracted when the journey is 40 minutes shorter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Point of order, Anytime restrictions aren't to do with how busy it is, otherwise Sundays from about 1400 to about 2200 would be Anytime only. They are a means of fare differentiation, so they can charge business travellers a higher price than leisure travellers, most of whom can avoid Anytime times or use Advances booked a long way in advance to circumvent them.

TOCs are prone to excusing Anytime fares as a means of avoiding overcrowding, but it is of course mostly about revenue (and a bit of politics).

Why aren't Sunday evening trains Anytime fares? Partly because of politics (steep rises from OP or SOP to Anytime would be very bad PR) - but mostly about revenue. Sure, demand exceeds capacity on some routes when priced at OP or SOP levels. But Sunday travel is largely price-sensitive demand: much of it would evaporate if you tried to extract Anytime fares.

But come Monday morning, the balance changes, with a juicy segment of the market valuing their time to the point that they are willing to pay Anytime fares rather than travel by the next-best means (or travel at a different time or not at all). The size of that segment is surely a pretty good pointer to where high-value-added is to be found in the economy. And the relative sizes of the Anytime traffic suggests that value-adding is happening in London far more than in Leeds.

Senex

Established Member
What's the French experience? Have many businesses moved out from Paris to Lille, Lyon, etc to take advantage of cheaper office-space?

BanburyBlue

I'm sure I heard somewhere that high speed in France meant it was easier to do 'day business trips' from Paris, rather than have people based in the regions. I don't have any data or references to back this up. But is this a possibility with HS2?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sir David Higgins was on Radio 4 this morning, resisting the suggestion that High-Speed rail lines predominantly benefit the economy of the capital rather than the provinces. Apparently the lower cost of provincial office space will see businesses flocking outwards.

A quick check of weekday ticket prices for (Medium-Speed) London/Leeds is illuminating. From Leeds to London, there are EIGHT trains in the morning peak which are judged busy enough to warrant an Anytime-only restriction. From London to Leeds there are just TWO morning trains with that restriction: get up early and you can use an off-peak ticket before the morning peak.

It doesn't look as if today's medium-speed trains to Leeds are seeing many London businesses despatching their people to create wealth in Yorkshire - there are clearly lots more Yorkshire folk going down to create wealth in London. What is the logic for assuming a complete change in the balance of the extra traffic that is attracted when the journey is 40 minutes shorter?

What are you talking about?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sure I heard somewhere that high speed in France meant it was easier to do 'day business trips' from Paris, rather than have people based in the regions. I don't have any data or references to back this up. But is this a possibility with HS2?

It's already a possibility without it. The ECML, WCML and MML are certainly fast enough for the North West, Sheffield, Leeds, York etc to be perfectly well day-trippable from London. Scotland can be day-tripped easily by air.

tbtc

Veteran Member

The general rule on the Forum is that introducing a line from a village/ small town (or improving aforementioned service) into the nearest Big City would be A Good Thing.

So, to use fictional BBC settlements, it'd be good for little Ambridge if they reopened the train line into big Holby, since people in Ambridge would have access to the jobs in Holby, people already living/working in Holby would be attracted to moving to Ambridge and commuting.

Similarly, speeding up the service from Dibley into Holby would be welcomed since faster trains encourage people (and it's an outrage that the train from Dibley into Holby takes longer than it did in steam days).

Nobody has argued that the Ebbw Vale - Cardiff line was bad for Ebbw Vale - I don't think anyone would argue that a Portishead - Bristol service would be bad for Portishead.

BUT, when London is involved, the opposite seems true. People don't want better services from Holby to London since that'll suck all of the life out of Holby, it'll turn into a "dormitory town" etc.

So goes the logic that I've seen some people use. It'd be great for Colne passengers to have a better railway to Leeds but it'd be terrible for Leeds passengers to have a better railway to London. A normal train station linking two conurbations will invigorate the smaller place but an HS2 station linking two conurbations will be bad for the smaller place?

My own personal take on this is partly based on personal anecdote. When I graduated I couldn't get a good enough job in the (provincial) city that I studied in, so I started commuting to a larger one around an hour away. That meant spending enough additional time and money each week to justify the higher salary. Cities like Sheffield attract thousands of talented teenagers to study but don't always have decent enough jobs to encourage them to remain there once they graduate (especially if they graduate thousands of pounds in debt and need to start earning proper money). It's a vicious circle - the brain drain - the talented young people heading south once they have their degrees. Employers want to attract the best so they base themselves where the best have moved to... and people move there because that's where the employers are.

At the moment I know a handful of people who travel from Sheffield to London regularly but the time (over two hours each day) means it's not feasible to do so daily. A hotel room in the capital can generally be cheaper than travelling back to Sheffield to kip at home before setting out stupidly early in the morning again.

With HS2, London comes closer to the "one hour" mark for people in Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield (it'd have been faster from Meadowhall, but let's not re-open that can of worms). And with four hundred metre long trains, we'll have flexibility to offer much cheaper fares too. So, commuting to London every day becomes feasible. Yes, you've got to get into central Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield in the morning before getting your train to the capital, but the same is true of places like Brighton/ Swindon which see large numbers commuting each day into London (and Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield have a lot of modern inner-city flats around the city centres, in reasonable walking distance of the station).

At the moment, a Student who graduates in Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield and moves to London does all of their earning and spending in London. There's no benefit to Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield. BUT, if they can commute from oop-north to Euston in an hour then they might remain living up here, HS2 fares being cheaper than paying London rents. So, you'll have a talented graduate pool remaining in northern England, doing their shopping here, paying their taxes here. And, once you have that hub, it'll be much more attractive for employers to locate in Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield - there'll be a larger number of talented people living around here - you don't need to base your business in London, you can tap into the hub of quality people living in Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield.

That's just my personal opinion. At the moment, someone with a First Class degree from Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield Universities who wants a good job will move to London and then be of no economic benefit to the city that they studied in. If we can make a journey from the M62-belt into London take about as long as sitting on the Underground from Zone Six into the City then we'll keep more of them. If thousands of people commute from Swindon/ Brighton etc into London each day then making Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield - London journeys a similar time/cost will be of similar benefit.

Put it this way - if faster/longer trains from Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield are A Bad Thing then why aren't people from around the UK demanding slower services to London? London is happening, whether we like it or not - the only realistic options are watching our best people head south, never to return, or to give them a way of getting the best of both worlds - a well paid job in London *and* a proper pint of ale in their local pub.

quantinghome

Established Member
It's already a possibility without it. The ECML, WCML and MML are certainly fast enough for the North West, Sheffield, Leeds, York etc to be perfectly well day-trippable from London. Scotland can be day-tripped easily by air.

Maybe if you live in central London or have a particularly good link to Euston / Kings Cross, but for a great deal of the population in the South-East you're looking at 4 hours door-to-door each way for a day trip to Leeds or Manchester.

I am actually sceptical about the 'rebalancing' arguments, which seem overly optimistic to me. But then I am also sceptical about arguments that HS2 will suck all activity towards London. Both views are highly speculative. I suspect that the cost savings gained by businesses moving away from London will be offset by the general lack of knowledge of what the North has to offer (Southerner's myopic view of UK geography was quite a shock when I moved down South).

What is true is that the existing main lines will not stand up to much more demand being put on them, and links between the North and the Midlands are pretty poor. Given the repeated project failures of upgrades to existing lines, new build is the right way to go, and HS2 is no worse than (and is in some respects better than) other new build proposals.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At the moment I know a handful of people who travel from Sheffield to London regularly but the time (over two hours each day) means it's not feasible to do so daily

There is a non-trivial number of commuters from Brighton to London, which takes a similar amount of time. Two hours each way is totally feasible for a day trip.

The price probably isn't (an off peak return plus a night in a Travelodge is almost certainly going to be cheaper than an Anytime Return), but nor will the price on HS2 be.

And is it really good for people to be daily-commuting 150+ miles, anyway? I'd say it's not. Fine for jobs that require say 2 days a week on site, but that's already viable.

misterredmist

You may also have to factor in the change in work practices for many people. I know of several who commute from Manchester to London, however, they only stay 2 nights in the capital, working 3 days there, and work 2 days from home and therefore are able to still reside in the Manchester suburbs.

All Line Rover

Established Member
...with four hundred metre long trains, we'll have flexibility to offer much cheaper fares... if they can commute from oop-north to Euston in an hour then they might remain living up here...

I don't think the economic case for HS2 is based on peak fares being 'cheap'. Heavily discounted fares might be offered initially to build up demand, but once that demand has established itself one wouldn't want the profitability of the country's premier rail line to be limited by a reluctance to take away artifically cheap season tickets that people have become accustomed to use for daily commuting.

Season tickets from Mancheter / Leeds / etc to London are already artificially cheap relative to day fares. Manchester to London is £14432 a year (£57.72 per day over 250 working days) and Leeds to London £13928 (£55.71 per day), compared to £338 and £239 respectively for return fares. The season tickets might be a "bargain", but they are not affordable for most people.

Return fares might be cheaper on HS2, but why would season tickets be cheaper than the above, already competitive, prices? Long-distance commuting represents, statistically, relatively little traffic on the WCML and ECML. Reversing this on HS2 would not benefit taxpayers as a whole.

My experience is that working professionals already consider tube fares to be very expensive, let alone long-distance season tickets. (I'm actually surprised by the extent of fare evasion by some such people.)

The focus needs to be on building more affordable housing in London, not offering cheap season tickets on HS2 to provide another commuter route.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The direct answer is, no, HS2 is not good for the provinces.

on what basis? that you don't like it so will use any opportunity to complain?

The focus needs to be on building more affordable housing in London, not offering cheap season tickets on HS2 to provide another commuter route.

The focus needs to be on building more affordable housing. I would happily sell my house in MK and move into the same house further north (that costs a third of price) if I could be in London in a hour on a cheap season ticket. I bet lots would.

EDIT - just checked and the value of my house now buys me 4 identical houses in Darlington. 4. Homes. Complete homes, not flats or part ownership. 4. 4! Surely that is one of the arguments for using HS2 to spread economic performance around the country.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
With HS2, London comes closer to the "one hour" mark for people in Manchester/ Leeds/ Sheffield (it'd have been faster from Meadowhall, but let's not re-open that can of worms). And with four hundred metre long trains, we'll have flexibility to offer much cheaper fares too. So, commuting to London every day becomes feasible. .

Hold on hold on hold on hold on there skippy.

You are surely not stating that I would have the choice to then live outside of a massively congested city up to another or smaller town close by and near to miles upon miles of wondrous countryside and still do a decent commute into London should my work still be there? My flabber is gasted. Who would've thought of such a thing would be possible.

on what basis? that you don't like it so will use any opportunity to complain?

The focus needs to be on building more affordable housing. I would happily sell my house in MK and move into the same house further north (that costs a third of price) if I could be in London in a hour on a cheap season ticket. I bet lots would.

EDIT - just checked and the value of my house now buys me 4 identical houses in Darlington. 4. Homes. Complete homes, not flats or part ownership. 4. 4! Surely that is one of the arguments for using HS2 to spread economic performance around the country.

No one wants to live there though ;)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't think this should be about commuting at all.

The idea is that cities in the Midlands and North should have more businesses based and working there, because it's easier for people to visit colleagues/clients/suppliers in London or for them to come north. This helps the local economies much more than just relegating them to being dormitories for commuters. Yes day trips are easily possible from most of these places today, but basically take out a whole day and require the expense of an Anytime fare. When the journey is possible in one to two hours it becomes realistic to decide in the morning to pop over that afternoon for a quick meeting.

It follows from this that I believe HS2 should offer peak-time walk-on fares much lower than the current Anytimes, and that Anytimes should be reduced on parallel classic routes to avoid discrimination and because HS2 will release capacity. This is something of a problem for the GW route though, as it won't get this benefit and Bristol/Cardiff won't want to be discriminated against. However I suggest season tickets on HS2 should be priced significantly above the rates for classic routes. If classic route seasons are reduced this should only be for shorter distances such as into London from MK or Rugby and southwards only, to try to limit the London travel-to-work area.

I've no idea if this will happen, but the HS2 business case is based on fares broadly similar to current ones.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

No, the focus needs to be on building a much more distributed economy like that of Germany. It is not sensible to have someone commuting from Darlington to London. It's just environmentally unsustainable. People in Darlington shouldn't primarily be needing to travel further than York or Newcastle for work.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Would you like to suggest why not?
HS2 only serves London Euston. It will take 20 years and 40bn to save 10 minutes off a banker's commute. In the shires, the forgotten north, Wales , and Anglia, HS2 helps Nobody.

The Planner

Veteran Member
In the same way Ordsall Chord, Portishead, East West and so on do not benefit me so I don't want them built or they are a waste of my taxes. That argument is ridiculous.

All Line Rover

Established Member
HS2 only serves London Euston. It will take 20 years and 40bn to save 10 minutes off a banker's commute. In the shires, the forgotten north, Wales , and Anglia, HS2 helps Nobody.

Bankers don't tend to use Euston, and HS2 is centred around Birmingham. In fact, I'm not aware of any railway line that only serves one station. Such a line would be rather short.

6Gman

Established Member

It doesn't matter how often you say this it still isn't true ...

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Manchester-Birmingham centre to centre in half the time it currently takes in my book benefits the "shires and forgotten north". Makes the M6 look crap in comparison.

And as an Anglia resident who has his roots in Bolton, I'll very much enjoy being able to do Cambridge-London-Manchester-Bolton in a shade over 3 hours (in excess of 4 hours today at best by rail or road). I for one can't wait for HS2.

racklam

HS2 may encourage fewer people to leave the regions completely to live in London (instead commuting), but that doesn't really address economic distribution.

Look at Germany - the financial centre is in Frankfurt, the government is in Berlin, the industrial base is in the Ruhr. Different areas are leaders in different sectors. Real redistribution won't happen until supporting institutions are moved to the regions. If you move the stock market to Manchester (for example), financial firms will follow. If you move the courts to Leeds, legal firms will follow. If you move government to Birmingham, the thousands of government-related jobs (not just government jobs themselves) will also move.

With a structure like that in place, HS2 gives a significant economic boost, as it makes it easier to travel between all these institutions. Now of course it's very easy already, because they're all in London, but in my opinion (and I don't have any data to back this up) it's worth taking a small economic hit to spread the wealth around a bit. And of course there's nothing stopping legal firms with headquarters in Leeds opening financial law offices in Manchester.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed.

The BBC to Manchester was a very good start. Now how about farming out more Government administrative work and headquarters to other parts of the country. Other businesses will of course follow as many support that work.

Bantamzen

Established Member
HS2 may encourage fewer people to leave the regions completely to live in London (instead commuting), but that doesn't really address economic distribution.

Look at Germany - the financial centre is in Frankfurt, the government is in Berlin, the industrial base is in the Ruhr. Different areas are leaders in different sectors. Real redistribution won't happen until supporting institutions are moved to the regions. If you move the stock market to Manchester (for example), financial firms will follow. If you move the courts to Leeds, legal firms will follow. If you move government to Birmingham, the thousands of government-related jobs (not just government jobs themselves) will also move.

With a structure like that in place, HS2 gives a significant economic boost, as it makes it easier to travel between all these institutions. Now of course it's very easy already, because they're all in London, but in my opinion (and I don't have any data to back this up) it's worth taking a small economic hit to spread the wealth around a bit. And of course there's nothing stopping legal firms with headquarters in Leeds opening financial law offices in Manchester.

I totally agree. Whilst I am satisfied that HS2 will deliver some benefits to the regions, I don't think that building it alone will create the kind of growth needed. With a devoluted set up such as you describe, the skilled work is spread out more evenly and whilst many business may keep HQs and executive roles in the capital, with HS2 and other infrastructural improvements it will be easy for them to move around sites elsewhere.

There is of course one other benefit of spreading out the business centres, and that is business continuity. What would happen if some event occurred that paralysed the capital even for a few days? Having businesses spread across wider areas reduces risk and increases robustness when things do go wrong.

CdBrux

I would happily sell my house in MK and move into the same house further north (that costs a third of price) if I could be in London in a hour on a cheap season ticket. I bet lots would.

That does though, I think, add to the argument of HS2 benefitting London as it means the catchment area of those who could work in London is vastly increased so pulling the wealth creation into London.

What is needed is for HS2 to come alongside regional city development so that the reverse can also be true and that the likes of Brum, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, etc... have immediately the opportunity to allow offices to be near their stations so that the core staff are based there at a lower cost vs London and others from across the land can quickly come in and out for day trips. Higgins is very well aware of this it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.