• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Phase 2a recieves Royal Assent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unless I'm making a mistake according to HS2 the journey between Preston and Lancaster will increase from 15-20 mins at present to 45 after HS2, what the hell is that all about?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-070218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-070218_Chrome.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210213-070152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-070152_Chrome.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210213-070035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-070035_Chrome.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 39

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Unless I'm making a mistake according to HS2 the journey between Preston and Lancaster will increase from 15-20 mins at present to 45 after HS2, what the hell is that all about?

The Preston time is based on the Glasgow service running non-stop from Old Oak Common to Preston and then Carlisle (not stopping at Lancaster)

The Lancaster time is based on the Lancaster service that runs via Crewe/Warrington.

I.e. don't subtract one from the other to give the Lancaster-Preston time, as they are based on taking different routes to get there!

The Preston time is based on the Glasgow service running non-stop from Old Oak Common to Preston and then Carlisle (not stopping at Lancaster)

The Lancaster time is based on the Lancaster service that runs via Crewe/Warrington.

I.e. don't subtract one from the other to give the Lancaster-Preston time, as they are based on taking different routes to get there!
So based on that would it be correct to assume that any train that stops at Preston will no longer stop at Lancaster as well. If that is the case based in the timings and Google maps it would be quicker to get to Lancaster by taking HS2 to Preston and driving the rest of the way at 24 mins.
HS2 need to be clearer about the service patterns in their calculator rather than headline timings, however transparency hasn't ever been their strong point.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So based on that would it be correct to assume that any train that stops at Preston will no longer stop at Lancaster as well. If that is the case based in the timings and Google maps it would be quicker to get to Lancaster by taking HS2 to Preston and driving the rest of the way at 24 mins.
HS2 need to be clearer about the service patterns in their calculator rather than headline timings, however transparency hasn't ever been their strong point.

There are other, non HS2 trains between the two.

And the HS2 service specification is still very much a draft.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So based on that would it be correct to assume that any train that stops at Preston will no longer stop at Lancaster as well. If that is the case

It isn't. The Lancaster terminator (the only London HS2 train that will stop at Lancaster) is HS2 to Crewe then all IC* stations to Lancaster, including Preston.

The reason the figure is off is that the fastest Euston-Preston won't stop between Crewe and Preston, whereas the one that serves Lancaster will have those stops (as will the Brum-Scotland in 2b).

* i.e. not Euxton Balshaw Lane and Leyland, nor Golborne if that opens.

themiller

HS2 will probably define services and timetables after track has been laid, wires erected and trains built. There’ll likely be sufficient time during commissioning to publicise timetables. I would think it’s a tad early to speculate on calling points and specific journeys just now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The proposed service and stopping patterns are quite clearly laid out in the April 2020 Economic case document.

As others say, at this point this is merely an assumption for the purposes of developing the infrastructure and the business case. What the eventual operator does may well be different.

BrianW

Established Member
When is it anticipated that services will commence between Birmingham Curzon Street and 'the north'?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
As with Great Western and the other electrification schemes. Better late than never?

I'm honestly not convinced.
All eyes really on Japan now, will tell us if we made the right choices.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
HS2 will probably define services and timetables after track has been laid, wires erected and trains built. There’ll likely be sufficient time during commissioning to publicise timetables. I would think it’s a tad early to speculate on calling points and specific journeys just now.

The purpose of the Avanti franchise was to get operator involvement in the start-up of HS2 services.
HS2 Ltd won't have a monopoly on timetables off the HS2 route itself, that will involve NR, the operator and ORR, as it does now on regulated routes.
The end of franchising means it isn't as clear as it was who will be the operator when HS2 opens, as Avanti might not be there.

It isn't. The Lancaster terminator (the only London HS2 train that will stop at Lancaster) is HS2 to Crewe then all IC* stations to Lancaster, including Preston.

The reason the figure is off is that the fastest Euston-Preston won't stop between Crewe and Preston, whereas the one that serves Lancaster will have those stops (as will the Brum-Scotland in 2b).

* i.e. not Euxton Balshaw Lane and Leyland, nor Golborne if that opens.
Thanks Bletchleyite, that makes more sense, the HS2 site on the surface certainly gives a skewed impression and why wouldn't it. However who knows what will happen, im still surprised it's going further than Birmingham in the current climate and if it's managed anything like Crossrail down here we will be lucky to see 2b before 2040.
Pendolinos for a long while yet!

Elecman

Established Member
good luck driving from Preston Station to anywhere near Lancaster Station in 24 minutes, it will often take 15 minutes just to get to the M55/M6 junction never mind up to Lancaster

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
good luck driving from Preston Station to anywhere near Lancaster Station in 24 minutes, it will often take 15 minutes just to get to the M55/M6 junction never mind up to Lancaster
Correct. I did once manage Preston station to Lancaster station in 50 minutes so under 1 hour —- but 24 minutes - not a chance in hell, even in the middle of the night in the middle of COVID with low traffic. These days it is 20 minutes from Preston station to my UK house exactly opposite the start of the Broughton and Barton loop.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Correct. I did once manage Preston station to Lancaster station in 50 minutes so under 1 hour —- but 24 minutes - not a chance in hell, even in the middle of the night in the middle of COVID with low traffic. These days it is 20 minutes from Preston station to my UK house exactly opposite the start of the Broughton and Barton loop.

Not a journey I’ve ever made, although I ave been in and out of Preston from the M55 J1 more times than I care to remember. Google suggests Preston Station to Lancaster station is 37 minutes right now, and that includes some busy traffic near Preston station. I usually beat google by a few minutes, so I should think at a quieter time half an hour is possible. It’s 22 miles.

Elecman

Established Member
Exactly I do M55 Broughton to the station several times a week

Not a journey I’ve ever made, although I ave been in and out of Preston from the M55 J1 more times than I care to remember. Google suggests Preston Station to Lancaster station is 37 minutes right now, and that includes some busy traffic near Preston station. I usually beat google by a few minutes, so I should think at a quieter time half an hour is possible. It’s 22 miles.
Not a chance !!

Thankfully It will never happen, my experience of driving lasted all of 2 mins with the RAC in Central London back in 2003, the instructor in polite terms was a total moron and it sadly put me off for life. Luckily I actually haven't ever had a need for a car as I work 20 mins walk from home and take the train anywhere I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.