• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Rolling Stock Procurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Talgo has been scouting locations for a new UK test track if they start manufacturing here with former coal freight lines in Yorkshire and Scotland in the cross hairs. The Scottish, Tyne and Welsh governments are also fighting hard to be the site chosen for manufacturing with offers of financial inducements to set up in former steel industry areas.

The current issue of Rail magazine mentions, as possible sites for this test track, Hunterston and Longannet (I know where they are) and "Parkside in Leeds". Where is this Parkside?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The current issue of Rail magazine mentions, as possible sites for this test track, Hunterston and Longannet (I know where they are) and "Parkside in Leeds". Where is this Parkside?
A quick search finds an industrial estate of that name close to M621 J5.

snowball

Established Member
A quick search finds an industrial estate of that name close to M621 J5.
Surely a test track needs a substantial length of surplus railway. The site you describe is near the Middleton Railway but I hadn't heard they were planning to shut up shop.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Surely a test track needs a substantial length of surplus railway. The site you describe is near the Middleton Railway but I hadn't heard they were planning to shut up shop.
I don't know, I'm just quoting where the map says it is.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Who says it isn't? You?
Not getting at you personally, but what you (or even a few people on here) think isn't really concerns of HS2 LTD. I mean, it's not acceptable to me that sometimes, the McDonalds Drive Thru is a little slow, but what can I do about it? Nothing. It's just life.

Aren't the "Voyager services" meant to continue on the classic WCML?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Seems to have been conflated, its Parkside, Newton-le-willows (St Helens council confirmed they have been approached) and Leeds, not parkside in Leeds.

Chester1

Established Member
Aren't the "Voyager services" meant to continue on the classic WCML?

Yes with extra stops.

I wonder if classic compatible units could include a battery to allow them to run between Crewe and Chester with discontinuous electrification? There are 34 bridges over the line and most are listed and some where built in 1840s. Electrifying the line apart from bridges might gain government aproval... Chester could certainly support a HS2 ten coach service every two hours joining and splitting with a Liverpool or Preston service in Crewe. I am bias though...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I wonder if classic compatible units could include a battery to allow them to run between Crewe and Chester with discontinuous electrification? There are 34 bridges over the line and most are listed and some where built in 1840s. Electrifying the line apart from bridges might gain government aproval... Chester could certainly support a HS2 ten coach service every two hours joining and splitting with a Liverpool or Preston service in Crewe. I am bias though...
No way would HS2 want that sort of complication and extra weight. HS service to Chester will only happen if it is electrified, paid for by someone other than HS2. However there is likely to be a spare half-train every hour that splits off at Crewe with nowhere else to go.

Chester1

Established Member
No way would HS2 want that sort of complication and extra weight. HS service to Chester will only happen if it is electrified, paid for by someone other than HS2. However there is likely to be a spare half-train every hour that splits off at Crewe with nowhere else to go.

Full electrification will not happen in the current climate and Crewe - Chester is the ideal line for Grayling's partial electrification "idea" because the cost of providing sufficient clearence would be horrendous. Installing batteries in 4 Pendolinos would enable a two hourly service from Chester to London and allow two extra stops to be added while maintaining a Voyagers journey time. Id like to see a ten coach HS2 service but the only way it would gain funding would be as a massive electoral bribe for North Wales. Any chance of a HS2 set being dragged to Holyhead by a couple of locos? HS2 operator wouldn't like it but if a London-Holyhead/Bangor service was in the franchise spec they wouldn't much of a choice.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It wouldnt be in the HS2 spec, North Wales will always be a change at Crewe or a classic service.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Seems to have been conflated, its Parkside, Newton-le-willows (St Helens council confirmed they have been approached) and Leeds, not parkside in Leeds.
As in the old colliery? Pretty sure we took out the connections and signalling when we resignalled there a few years back.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As in the old colliery? Pretty sure we took out the connections and signalling when we resignalled there a few years back.
Parkside has been talked about as a freight terminal so someone must think it might be worth doing. A test track would have to be 100% new though.

England is showcasing its ability to be technologically late to the party. The L0 series Maglev, looking to be sold by JR Railways to other countries, as well as being planned for Japanese HS lines, would complete a journey from London to Manchester (equivalent distance from Tokyo to Nagoya) in 40 minutes - HS2 will take nearly twice that time at 1h 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
England is showcasing its ability to be technologically late to the party. The L0 series Maglev, looking to be sold by JR Railways to other countries, as well as being planned for Japanese HS lines, would complete a journey from London to Manchester (equivalent distance from Tokyo to Nagoya) in 40 minutes - HS2 will take nearly twice that time at 1h 5 minutes.

Maglev is much more expensive and the trains cannot run on the existing network. It is worth the small cost difference between building a 125mph railway and 250mph (about 10-15%). At best HS2 using Maglex would cost 50% more. The Tokyo - Nagoya will travel at a maximium speed of 314mph but use 4-5 times as much energy. The Shanghai maglev operates at conventional speeds because it is not cost effective to run at its full speed.

WideRanger

Maglev is much more expensive and the trains cannot run on the existing network. It is worth the small cost difference between building a 125mph railway and 250mph (about 10-15%). At best HS2 using Maglex would cost 50% more. The Tokyo - Nagoya will travel at a maximium speed of 314mph but use 4-5 times as much energy. The Shanghai maglev operates at conventional speeds because it is not cost effective to run at its full speed.
It's worth noting that Japan is hedging its bets on their Maglev - building the basic infrastructure (tunnels, bridges, etc) so that it can be easily converted to conventional Shinkansen if they cannot get the economics of Maglev to stack up. Seems sensible, but would be a shame - their prototype has amazing accelleration - feels similar to a A380 taking off.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Acceleration can be a mixed blessing. You aren't allowed to get up and move around while an A380 is taking off.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Who says it isn't? You?
Not getting at you personally, but what you (or even a few people on here) think isn't really concerns of HS2 LTD. I mean, it's not acceptable to me that sometimes, the McDonalds Drive Thru is a little slow, but what can I do about it? Nothing. It's just life.

We'll have to see what emerges now more consideration is being given to through running onto the classic network.
I'm just concerned that some services might be poorer (lower frequency and/or longer journeys) than now.
Voyager services (Shrewsbury/Chester/North Wales) are particularly affected by the lack of wires off the WCML.
Anyway, it won't be HS2 Ltd specifying the services, it will be the DfT along with the winner of the WCP franchise.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

The energy costs of running a train are fairly minor though.
The Shanghai maglev is an incredibly short route, where increasing the speed would make almost no difference to journey time.

Acceleration would still leave normal trains in the dust even if it was limited to 'only' the levels attainable by tube stock, just continuing to 500km/h.

As to the 'lack of direct trains' argument, does it really matter if Scotland passengers have to change trains at Wigan if you can have a train from London reach Wigan in ~40 minutes?

The argument that direct trains are worth such an enormous time saving is absurd.
Never mind the journey times to most destinations would be so short that an Metropolitan line layout could be used for Birmingham services without passenger comfort difficulties.
Old Oak Common to Birmingham airport would take you less than 25 minutes for gods sake. On the tube that gets you from Euston to Tooting Bec.
A 400m S8 formation could load 3000+ people, and whilst it has no nosecones those only extend 30 metres, it still has a capacity of at least 2750 or more.

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Just found this picture whilst trawking the web at half past 2! https://www.siemens.com/press/en/pr...bility/2018-06-innotrans/im2018060517moen.htm
IM2018060517MO_072dpi.jpg

The Velaro Novo, could Siemens offer this for HS2?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
We can all dream.
Just think how many DfT ironing boards you could get into a 28.75m car length.
As these things will have to negotiate the existing WCML north of Lichfield, I doubt that the bodyshell is going to be the one in the promo.
https://new.siemens.com/global/en/p...h-speed-and-intercity-trains/velaro-novo.html
The Velaro Novo’s lightweight body shell is based on the empty tube concept, meaning that there are no permanent installations inside the car and the interior can be furnished according to customer wishes and altered whenever requirements change. The cars have no underseat containers or electrical cabinets in their interior, and their length was enlarged to 28.75 m. Passengers can enjoy the maximum available space.

hwl

Established Member
I can already see grayling foaming at the mouth, rubbing his hands...
Shame the tender specifies 25.00m for intermediate cars and a ~2m Pinocchio allowance for tapered nose cone on the driving cars.

hwl

Established Member
The classic-compatible fleet would, but the captive fleet won't have to.
The captive fleet would be procured after the Velaro Novo has been replaced with a new generation product based on current product life spans.

rebmcr

Established Member
The captive fleet would be procured after the Velaro Novo has been replaced with a new generation product based on current product life spans.

They plan to run Phase 1 with only classics?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They plan to run Phase 1 with only classics?

They decided that before opening the procurement process, because most of the services will have to use existing lines.
Phase 2 might have some dedicated sets but procurement for that is a decade away.
Phase 1 has to get built and operational first.

Status
Not open for further replies.