• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 to Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
You would have to cut approximately 30-40 minutes off the post HS2b timing to make that feasible.

There are several routse that could be considered, a new HSL North from the vicinity of Wigan would probably be the most heavily trafficed line, but would have a relatively small time saving.

Next up would be new track in scotland, but the slowest parts of the route are north of Carstairs, which means that each km of track built would only improve the journey times to one of the two Scottish cities, so economically it is not particularly attractiev because the total journey time reductions (in terms of passenger-minutes) per km built are lower.

There are also occasionally proposals for short sections of track in the vicinity of Morpeth and Durham on the ECML, at which point you could route via the Leeds branch and York.

Whichever is best I am not sure, but I think line north from Wigan is the most likely to be funded, followed by ECML improvements.

aylesbury

I seem to remember the Scottish Government did not want to put any money into HS2 on grounds of cost and value for money.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I seem to remember the Scottish Government did not want to put any money into HS2 on grounds of cost and value for money.
The cynic in me says the SNP doesn't want to it to happen because it would reduce the isolation of Scotland from the English economy and society more generally, which obviously conflicts with their long term goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.