• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2. Who is working the Eastern side trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
As you are probably all aware, we know what’s happening with the WCP franchise and that eventually, those of us working on the WCML will end up on HS2. But in what capacity? Presumably a Euston driver will be doing as now, a Liverpool, a Manchester etc, but what’s the plan with the Eastern-bound services? Will LNER be doing this, or will we as what you now know as the VTWC franchise be expanding to do a Leeds for example and establish a depot over there maybe? (I’m not talking here about T&C’s just so it doesn’t get bogged down in a thing about double tripping, breaks etc., more the actual route itself)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As you are probably all aware, we know what’s happening with the WCP franchise and that eventually, those of us working on the WCML will end up on HS2. But in what capacity? Presumably a Euston driver will be doing as now, a Liverpool, a Manchester etc, but what’s the plan with the Eastern-bound services? Will LNER be doing this, or will we as what you now know as the VTWC franchise be expanding to do a Leeds for example and establish a depot over there maybe? (I’m not talking here about T&C’s just so it doesn’t get bogged down in a thing about double tripping, breaks etc., more the actual route itself)

The WCP franchise runs until 2031 I believe, with 12 years of WCML operation and also 5 years of HS2 operation from 2026 included (as a management contract).
That covers HS2 phase 1 (Lichfield) and 2a (Crewe), impacting just the WCML.
HS2 Phase 2b (Crewe-Golborne and Birmingham-Yorkshire) isn't due for completion until 2033, so who knows what franchising arrangements there will be at bid time in 10 years time.
Actually, we've got to get through the Williams process first, and the Network Rail reorganisation, and the regime might be quite different afterwards.
Not to mention the need for formal go-ahead for HS2 in its presently-defined form.
I doubt even the DfT yet knows the framework for the future, beyond some vague idea of "Partnership" between TOC and NR.
Personally I think HS2 might move to a multiple-competitive-TOC setup, as seems to be going to happen on high speed lines in Italy, France and Spain.
Then there's what happens if Labour get in and change tack completely.
I should think WCP as a franchise is safe as a contract for the 7 years until HS2 Phase 1 opens, once it is signed, unless First Trenitalia messes it up.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if HS2 is crewed by a dedicated set of employees just to work those services, even though some services will share lines further North. This will allow a future separation of WCML and HS2 services to be managed in the future.

One of the reasons WCP switches to a management contract once HS2opens is that the impact of it on WCML revenues isn't totally understood.

EE Andy b1

Established Member

I think if HS2 phase 1 and phase 2a to Crewe does go ahead, that all current West Coast traincrew depots (Manchester/Preston/Liverpool/Wolverhampton/Euston) will work the services from London Euston both via the Trent Valley (Class 390 & 10 new EMUs & 13 Bi-modes) and also on HS2 metals with new Classic compatible rolling stock.
Then in 2031 when eventually the two will be split, i can see Wolverhampton depot becoming HS2 only and Euston depot being split into two, both West Coast and HS2. There will be new trains again just for HS2 which will only work on HS2 metals and built to the European loading gauge.
The HS2 depot side of Euston and Wolverhampton will then be totally responsible for all internal HS2 services and if phase 2b happens to the East and Leeds a new HS2 depot for traincrew there as well.
I certainly hope that at the very least that phase 1 and 2a go ahead and that Crewe station gets rebuilt completely into a major hub.

Class 170101

Established Member
Surely Wolves would be classic only not HS2 only? I would have thought a new depot would open at Birmingham HS2 station to be honest.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Surely Wolves would be classic only not HS2 only? I would have thought a new depot would open at Birmingham HS2 station to be honest.

This is only my opinion, but there would be no need for Wolverhampton as a West Coast traincrew depot. Oxley now is basically just a stabling sidings. The Class 390s would be moved elsewhere. The Class 221s would have gone, so all that work to Central Rivers would have gone. Most Birmingham services would go via HS2, just leaving Shrewsbury and Walsal.
HS2 would need a new traincrew depot at either Washwood Heath at the depot or Curzon Street station, so i think traincrew from Wolves would be given the option to move there or other depots for West Coast.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
How about the other current depots I wonder

There was some talk of wanting a main traincrew depot at Crewe, if it became a major hub, then that might affect Manchester, Liverpool & Preston train crew depots.

Mollman

Established Member
There was a theory that at the end of the WCP, the classic WCML services would be merged with LNwR whilst HS2 would be stand alone. This could lead to some interesting price competition between classic & HS operators on all three northern mainlines out of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.