• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Who will run trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneedown

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered before, but what is likely to happen as regards to who operates services on HS2?
Will an entirely new, single TOC be formed, or will trains be run by a few existing TOC's in whatever form they are by then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
It will almost certainly be a new toc that may not be part of the standard rail network ticketing system that would after a few years be integrated properly into the network e.g. Heathrow Express.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It will almost certainly be a new toc that may not be part of the standard rail network ticketing system that would after a few years be integrated properly into the network e.g. Heathrow Express.

Ouch, I hope not! They would be exempt from the NRCoC which would not be a good thing for the customer... I'd hope it would be properly integrated with the existing TOCs (though of course a premium would be charged).

CompactDstrxion said:
Will be interesting to see if we end up with 'Not valid on HS1/HS2' 'HS1/not HS2' etc fares

I suspect it will be compulsory reservations on HS2, so managed that way. In some ways, that could even work well, for example a reservation could be bought for an HS2 service with a ticket valid on the WCML, which would incorporate the price of the upgrade, whereas a reservation would be free with a HS2 ticket.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It isn't on HS1 - why would it be compulsory on HS2?

They are on Intercity services on HS1 (i.e. Eusrostar) ;) Reservations are compulsory on TGVs (except some, off-LGV, parts where they act as local trains), and with the move to airline-style "yield management" ticketing it wouldn't be a big step (wasn't there some suggestion of Virgin introducing some compulsory reservation services?). Also I suspect that the HSE brigade may want to guarantee that everyone is seated.

OTOH, if it's marketed for business types for whom speed is of the essence, then being able to hop on any train would be a big selling point compared to the plane.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Probably because the SET HS1 services are really commuter trains - albeit long distance ones - hence no buffet/trolley and no first.

But coming in from Margate on HS1 you already have a longer journey time than on the current line from Birmingham - I suspect you'll get a fair few commuters on HS2 unless they're priced off it.

Dolive22

There's priced off and there's priced off. There was a piece in the FT on Saturday about how far people commute and how much they save on houses and the numbers were impressive.

I've known people more or less commute Yorkshire - London and the FT article gives Doncaster as an example.

But coming in from Margate on HS1 you already have a longer journey time than on the current line from Birmingham - I suspect you'll get a fair few commuters on HS2 unless they're priced off it.

Oh I quite agree. But the fact is is that SET (like any business) sets out to get the maximum return for the minimum outlay. Buffets, first class and seat reservations equals staff. Staff equals money so, all standard, no reservations and minimum service.

tbtc

Veteran Member

True. However the culture of Kent revolves around London to a greater extent than the culture of Birmingham does. Without intending to sound patronising, there are presumably more jobs in Birmingham than Kent, so less need to commute all the way to London, so less demand for daily commuters.

There will certainly be some who do it, though maybe not permanently every day. I could do it for a short period as a contractor

umontu

There's priced off and there's priced off. There was a piece in the FT on Saturday about how far people commute and how much they save on houses and the numbers were impressive.

I've known people more or less commute Yorkshire - London and the FT article gives Doncaster as an example.

Saw a First Capital Connect driver on a Trans Pennine train at Preston Yesterday, think it was Barrow train... Now that's commuting!

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Yes I do - from SON! But not every day. A work colleague comes in daily from Sheffield changing at Doncaster.

We have a house we couldn't dream of down south. And marvellous views.

Status
Not open for further replies.