• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST - alternate traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
if the 37 was attached to the power car yes, but I understand on some occasions they were on the back of an HST set in place of a power car, obviously not remotely controlled. Presumably that would need a barrier coach

just came across this - single ended HST with a barrier car at the rear - second train

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Been doing some more digging and I never realised that the Class 41 prototype powercars have actually top & tailed production mk3 trailer sets in lieu of class 43s during mainline test runs back in 1976.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Been doing some more digging and I never realised that the Class 41 prototype powercars have actually top & tailed production mk3 trailer sets in lieu of class 43s during mainline test runs back in 1976.

Neither did I, I knew they ran tests with APT-P power cars but that's it.

randyrippley

Established Member

Before that the test rake was formed of rebogied Mk1 coaches.
And don't forget the super-power test set headed by a 41, with one or two APT-P power cars in a rake of test coaches

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Things have never been the same since the demise of the Paxman Valenta :frown:

No they haven't mate, nothing like the "Scream" of a Valenta in Notch 5 is there. I remember hearing one scream it's way our of York when I was about 7, what a lovely racket it was too! :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Before that the test rake was formed of rebogied Mk1 coaches.
And don't forget the super-power test set headed by a 41, with one or two APT-P power cars in a rake of test coaches

I think that had a GWR coach re-purposed as a test vehicle and they got up to 130 mph using the 41s and the coach still had the original bogies!

randyrippley

Established Member
I think that had a GWR coach re-purposed as a test vehicle and they got up to 130 mph using the 41s and the coach still had the original bogies!

you're right it did - I saw it between Lancaster and Preston with both APT power cars "on" and the 41 powered as well

but here's an interesting bit of film: APT trials around Lancaster. The first bit shows a rake of APT-P coaches powered ONLY by one of the HST power cars
Must be pretty unique film
Somewhere on youtube theres a video of the HST/APT combi plus a rake of test coaches including the GW dynamometer car at Preston

hexagon789

Veteran Member
you're right it did - I saw it between Lancaster and Preston with both APT power cars "on" and the 41 powered as well

but here's an interesting bit of film: APT trials around Lancaster. The first bit shows a rake of APT-P coaches powered ONLY by one of the HST power cars
Must be pretty unique film
Somewhere on youtube theres a video of the HST/APT combi plus a rake of test coaches including the GW dynamometer car at Preston

Thanks for linking the video,
I love these wee clips people find on YouTube, there's such a plethora of interesting snapshots of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.